Sunday 5 May 2019

Bird Ring, OMG, Not So Merry May

Hubby is down in the basement carpentering, as I call it.
He has set up a small labyrinth of pathways lined with various work benches and tool chests for he is a man who has sets of tools out in the garages and more here for indoor work and it is inconvenient to be walking in and out just to pick up a tool.
 I don't say a word about that or when he has a sudden need to get to Canadian Tire to look for a certain wrench or something...My own little haven aka the sewing room is getting increasingly fuller though no where reaching a 60 odd year collection like his. (Part of which he is quick to point out he inherited from his dad.)
There are benefits to his tinkering away; he's presently fixing the kitchen faucet that went on the blink suddenly last month.  Before that it was the shower head he had to disassemble and fix. We must be hard on faucets. He always has a lineup of small projects to keep him busy which is a good thing.

With all the rain and cold temperatures, the landscape here went rather quiet.  Even the frogs in the pond stopped croaking. I went looking but couldn't find any pussy willows opened yet. May is off to a soggy slow start. But today, a sunny Sunday, is bound to get spring back on track.

Here are a few of the birds around the feeder lately. We continue to be puzzled by the lone female turkey. She has been wandering our property for a couple of years now; I wonder what did she do to get banished from the flock.

What do you think of my new ring?
  My bird ring I call it. At Sundance catalogue it is called Lovebirds ring and they have carried it for years and as long as that I've admired it.  Finally ordered it and it is just as nice as I thought it would be.  Well made and very comfortable.
Not a good photo so here is a better one from the net but it is much shinier than this picture too.

Image result for sundance bird ring
I'm loving these little appliqued baskets; making them is a little addictive. I think I will set getting 20 of these finished this month as my May OMG at Elm Street Quilts.
The colours in the Sweet Pea CAL are so pretty to crochet with that it is a pleasure to work and is growing quickly. Almost making up for the lack of colour outdoors.  Btw, I love to see your photos of the blooms and greenery in your gardens.  It is so interesting to see what grows around the world.

Someone asked about the wool and pattern...
 This is Stylecraft Special Dk, wool you can wash which is essential for an afghan. Love some of the colour names- Pistachio, Wisteria, Meadow, Blush, Candy Floss. This is Lucy's free pattern found at her blog Attic 24 called Trellis Stripe. 
Lucy has started another project, the Dune Blanket and I am drawn to what she is calling the Colourwash version. Does it appeal to you too?
                                                  DSC09017

 Design Wall May 4th, 2019
Hope the sun is shining but not scalding and the birds are tweeting wherever you are!
Linking this post with Kathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts, Cooking Up QuiltsViewing Nature With Eileen, Em's Scrapbag,  I'd Rather B BirdinQuilting is More Fun Than Housework and Letting Go of the Bay Leaf.


26 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your baskets that you show last - maybe because I made some a couple years ago lol - I look at it every day as I have the quilt hanging in the living room for now. Wonderful birds that you have - I had to move the feeder away from the house as it attracts too many squirrels here and they actually start to get at the patio furniture and I have nibble marks on one chair!
I like Lucy's new pattern but I think I might want to make it in brighter colors - I like pastels but I know hubby wouldn't care for it much - but I might make it anyhow!! I have thought of ordering yarn soon to have something ready for when the current project is done

Quilter Kathy said...

I love the baskets too! Enjoy your slow stitching!

Libby in TN said...

I want that ring!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thise birds are very pretty and so is your ring too!

Nana said...

The colorwashed wool is just lovely!!!!!

Nana

Kim said...

Isn't that orange bird a pretty fellow. Oh dear your May has not started well, has it. I hope the remaining days get better. =) Love all those pretty baskets and your pretty CAL is looking lovely. Love Lucy's Dune Blanket. The colourwash effect is fabulous!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Your ring is beautiful and I'm so glad you got it. It reminds me of the spoon rings I wear. I found a lady on Etsy that makes them and they are so much fun to wear. LOVE the color wash...so soft and pretty! And those baskets are cute as can be! See lots of lavender too! Enjoy your day!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Gorgeous ring, and thanks for the pics of your feathered beauties. Oh my all the stuff you have going on. But with a wet spring, until it dries up, it is nice to have things to keep you occupied.

Quilting Babcia said...

Looking at your design wall photo, I was thinking the string pieced blocks at the bottom would make such a lovely border around your little baskets, were you planning on combining them? I finally started working on my little baskets again after a year's hiatus. Maybe they should be my permanent one monthly goal for a year or two! Yours are so pretty and the spring fabrics very inspiring!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Love your ring. Thanks for visiting my blog!

For the love of geese said...

I love the baskets and your chosen pallet.

riitta k said...

Your ring is very beautiful - happy MM.

Powell River Books said...

I like colour and find the colour-wash very pleasing to my eye. I think the muted colours are better than if they were bright ones. I think the ring would be too long for my short fingers, but looks great on you. I've been spring cleaning and going through lots of drawers. The silver and polished stone rings my dad made for my mom and me many years ago are sadly sitting unused. I used to love wearing them but my lifestyle has changed so much that I don't dress up any more. - Margy

em's scrapbag said...

Lovin' the look of your design wall! Thanks for sharing with Moving it Forward!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your silver bird ring is exquisite! I haven't looked at a Sundance catalog in a long time and I'm going over to peek at it through your link after this comment. Love seeing the birds at your feeder--I miss cardinals out here in Colorado.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - so glad to see you back at Mosaic Monday! I do like an independent woman, but I too wonder about your lone female turkey. We had one hanging about for a week or so, and now I think I just saw her as part of a harem of three with a Tom close by! I like the muted color of the wool - very soothing. Sometimes primary colors come across as garish to me. Your design wall is eye-catching. Will this be combined into one project? I hope you have a drier and Spring-ier week!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

We've had so interesting birds at the feeders this spring as well, although I haven't seen any turkeys. I like the colorwash version of the Dune Blanket - it looks so calm and quiet. Just lovely.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I love the colors of your afghan, almost makes me want to knit or learn to crochet. How cool that a wild turkey has made your home its home. A hummingbird chose the tree in our front yard for its nest. I feel very fortunate. :-)

Anni said...

O my o my...ask me. Do I want that bird ring? Indeed I do. So much so I will be out on the 'net searching for one!!

Love your bird photos very much. And your craft projects are stupendous. I bought some iron-on owl transfers. I'm going to attempt embroidering. (I haven't done that in decades). I too love to crochet.

Thanks so much for sharing this great post with us at I'd Rather B Birdin' this week!

Patty said...

Enjoy making the baskets! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is really fun. I can just imagine the two of you. I wish my hubby was more handy, but he does groceries and dishes!

Nancy said...

Your design wall looks cheerful! What have you got going on on the right side with all the little squares? Love your little baskets with the prints on them. And your birds are beautiful! I've been watching the barred owl cam that you posted about a few weeks ago. The owlets grew up so fast. They fledged today! I'm looking forward to seeing if they'll be back in the box tomorrow or if they're gone forever. How wonderful that your husband is a handy man!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love all your beautiful birds. The chickadee is a favorite and the cardinals are beautiful birds. Your ring is really pretty. Lovely quilt and the baskets are cute. Sorry, I am late commenting. Thanks for linking up your post. Have a happy day and week ahead.

Verna G said...

Love your ring. I am always leery to order from the states. Do you pay a lot of import fees?

Verna G said...

Love your ring. I am always leery to order from the states. Do you pay a lot of import fees?

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Raining here again - nasty east wind too, so it feels colder than it is. I love your new ring - perfect for someone who loves birds. I like both blanket colorways - don't know which one I would pick.