Tuesday 5 November 2019

Cozy Up Weather, Pumpkin Custard

We are getting there! Cozy up weather heading our way. Yet cooler temperatures and a few snow flurries are in the forecast for the end of the week. But ever so grateful it has held off this long.
So with that in mind, the winter coats, jackets and boots have to come upstairs from the downstairs racks. Definitely a to do item for this week.

Hubby spent several days putting together this tall cabinet. This was his to do thing last week. You can never have too much storage space I find.
 And we expect our new t.v. for the upstairs t.v. room this week.  He put in lots of time researching and I can't wait to see what it will be like. Our old one is about ten years old and technology has changed so much since then.

Here is a look at the autumn blocks together for the first time last week.  I could call this one Mishmash. :) Yes, this needs a design.  And I have been busy - but with my other projects.
And my crocheted granny squares....hmm better get on this too.  Sorting them to balance the colours. True to me I've just been crocheting without thinking about the numbers of each colour.  On the right there, looking black but actually a pretty deep purple.
I've been thinking about waffles lately, yes waffles. As soon as the weather cools down, I think of comfort food. I haven't had waffles in a long time. I used to make them for the girls and freeze them and then pop them in the toaster for a quick breakfast. In light of this, I'm looking at getting another small appliance, a waffle iron.  A four slice would be nice because making them singly is a nuisance.
But then with just the two of us, maybe that isn't so much of an issue.
I looked at this Cuisinart one that makes four at a time. Does anyone have this?

Maybe during the Black Friday sales, it will be turn up somewhere.

And I have my slow cooker out to try this recipe. I'm not done with pumpkin just yet. Check out the recipe at Simply So Healthy here.  I'll be using regular flour and just a little spice. I'll let you know on Thursday how it turned out.
                                                  
No end of things to do, to try, to find, etc. Take care all!
Linking up with Home Sewn By UsAlycia QuiltsFor the Love of GeeseClever Chameleon,  Quilting and Learning and My Bijou Life.





18 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love pumpkin custard and usually have some left over when I make pumpkin pies at Thanksgiving - I will fill all my pie crust and then whatever is left goes in a casserole bowl to bake in the oven - I love it with no crust and husband won't eat it without the crust so it is all mine!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Pumpkin looks good! I had to laugh on the crochet statement. I did the same thing with Alexander Bean Pot - just started making blocks and now I am having to add more to get the effect I want! Stay warm an the storage cabinet looks great! Hugs

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! I have never made waffles - why, I ask myself?? I do have a George Forman grill which has waffle plates that you can switch out instead of the grill plates. Maybe that would be useful as it has a dual purpose? Your granny squares look so pretty there, all lined up in a row. I'm wondering what they will become. Hmm, pumpkin custard. I look forward to seeing what you think about that! Thanks for linking up and see you on Thursday! ~smile~ Roseanne

Ruth Hiebert said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful, busy life.

Nancy J said...

Winter gear is out, for you up North, and yesterday I sorted out our thick fleece pants and put out the summer ones. We have had some wonderful hot days.Storage, I agree, never too much. And a new TV, that will be so good for those winter days when it is too cold to be outside.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your term "cozy up" weather - that is definitely what it is! I'm cozied up under a favorite quilt as I read my favorite blogs this afternoon. I love your collection of fall blocks - they will be a fun puzzle to figure out, Jocelyn!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Oh my, waffles smell so good and I'll bet the pumpkin custard is too! Enjoy that new TV!!!

Angie said...

So many projects, so little time … Speaking of waffles, just this morning I had a waffle breakfast sandwich at a restaurant. Great! The pumpkin custard looks delicious - I like anything with pumpkin! Enjoy the rest of your week!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Never made waffles but we used to do the freezer thing with pancakes when our kids were small. It does indeed sound as though the dreaded cold weather is heading our way.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have had a couple of waffle makers. Right now I have two. One is a flip and cook Belgian Waffle maker that makes great waffles but is a pain to clean. The one I use the most is some name brand or other. Not a Cuisinart. This one cost about $20 I think. It's great and I can take the grids off and wash in the sink. The other side of the grids are flat and can grill sandwiches. I think our weather is on the same track because our forecast is similar to yours. Last year I wanted an HD Smart TV so I didn't have to use a Chromecast to get stream services. We love it. Combined with our Comcast Service the streaming service apps we use are built in. I haven't made custard in the slow cooker. I should try that.
xx, Carol

Lin said...

Nice header picture and lots happening at your house. We have had a week of rain and it looks like there is another coming. Not cold though. Looking forward to seeing what you do with those little crochet squares. xx

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Pumpkin custard sounds great. I have a waffle maker and haven't used it in ages. I need to. Bisquick has a great gluten free mix and so I could use that. Hmmm- pumpkin custard with waffle. hmmm
That sounds exciting for a new tv. Enjoy!

MissPat said...

Good luck with the new TV. We got a smart TV about 4 years ago and it still baffles me. I have Amazon Prime and still haven't watched any videos on it (but then I'm not a movie watcher anyway). Pumpkin custard sounds great, but my husband insists on pie with real whipped cream. We have snow in the forecast for Friday and it has turned abruptly colder (and I still have to dig up the dahlias for storage).
Pat

Allie said...

Cozy up weather is definitely here - my space heater is going all the time in the sewing room, lol! We had snow today, ick. I love the picture in your header, Jocelyn! And I love seeing all your great blocks and granny squares - so fun!

K Reeves said...

Today we are enjoying a bit of lovely weather-60's!!-after the snow on Monday. It sure does lift the spirits when we get a couple of nice days in November. Pumpkin custard does sound yummy, I'm going to try that. When you get your waffle iron, try pumpkin waffles...so yummy, I eat them year round since we have canned and powdered pumpkin from our OUT OF CONTROL pumpkin patch last year. Your projects are definitely the cozy variety!

NADINE said...

Love, love your autumn blocks ! Alo, I can't wait seeing your granny squares (my favorite crochet pattern)…
Aaah, waffels ! There's a tradition, here in Belgium to make wafels for 1st of January, ready to offer to family, neighbours, visitors, and even to the Postman ! HeHeee…

ENJOY !
xoxo
Nadine

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I agree on the storage - we always seem to run out! Love your fall blocks - so pretty!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, thanks so much for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. I really like your dresden plate blocks. The colours are great for fall. And thanks for the idea of making waffles to freeze. That sure could make breakfast easier to cope with during the week.