Sunday 10 November 2019

Links, Free Pattern, Projects, Critters, Poppies

I just poured myself a cup of green tea (how good I'm being because I'd really rather a second cup of coffee) and read through some of your blogs. Such great reading...so many quilts being finished! I need to find more folks who are not finishing things. Just kidding; I love to see your finishes and I'm that one in the crowd who claps the loudest for you and keeps clapping after others have stopped.  Yes, I've done that embarrassing thing in real life too!
With the weather taking a turn cooler, we do not need wonder if the snow is here to stay...it is. This always makes me think of the critters in the pond.  Haven't seen anything stirring in about a month now. Did catch this little guy sinking in the mud...
And that same day the medium sized Painted turtle who also kept sinking in mud.
 I'm thinking they are all under the mud somehow now and perhaps I glimpsed them both on their last day topside, as it were.  They will have to go deep to survive the extreme cold that our winters bring us here in Ontario.

Did you know Kathy Schmitz and Bonnie Sullivan are sisters?  How wonderful that must be to have a sibling sharing an intense love of stitching. They have both been featured in Quiltmania magazines. Bonnies' book, Heart of the Home,is now on a special sale here at Quiltmania with her shopping bag included for free.
                                 See the source image
This lovely is called Poinsetta and Pine and is an upcoming BOM from Shabby Fabrics.
                               Poinsettia & Pine Patchwork Quilt displayed being a Christmas tree | Shabby Fabrics
                   Lynn at the wonderful  Sew n Wild Oaks site has this pattern of hers for sale. Still lots of tender points I notice. I just saw in her recipe section, Lynn has a recipe for Peach Amaretto Bread Pudding...now that is something Hubby would love.
                                    Row-Mancing Alaska image 0
The talented artist, Michelle Palmer generously offers a free Christmas pattern each year. Here is her design, Wren on the Holly, for 2019. No need to wonder why this caught my eye! I plan to download this pattern myself this week.
                           No photo description available.
I'm still back on autumn particularly with my larger project. It is gradually, slowly making itself into something. Sewing borders on the embroidery blocks has been easy and fun.  Two words I almost never associate with me and the sewing machine. I hope to have that all finished this week.
Also on my TO Do List this week...
Cross stitching is continuing on my Quakers while eyeing a Christmas pattern I have. I really want Section 2 finished by the next SAL linkup so must stay focused. That's the beauty of these monthly check ins... Anybody else use a piece of batting to secure needles?
Tomorrow is Remembrance Day in Canada. I make a point of wearing my Legion poppy scarf this month. My little way of remembering my grandfather who died in World War II and my dad who was a Korean War vet. It is large and has a wonderful silky feel to it. I also have the earrings from The Poppy Store,
Feeling thankful for my peaceful home and country, never ever taken for granted.

Linking this post with Kathy's QuiltsSmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsPretty Piney,  Bambi's Show and Tell, Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkHome Sewn By Us and Viewing Nature With Eileen.



21 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I always enjoy your posts Jocelyn! There's always something interesting to learn or read about. I love your scarf btw - poppies are one of my favourite flowers and at this time of year they have such meaning.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

isn't that Christmas sock lovely! I didn't know those two ladies were sisters I wonder if they join up on projects now and then. The leafs on the tree in the front yard are a lovely golden yellow and I need to get a photo today as tomorrow is rain all day possibly turning to sleet by evening with temps dropping all day and down to 20 I still feel that is way to early here for such cold temperatures! Winter is coming early everywhere this year I think. Have a great day Jocelyn

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely stitching Jocelyn! Thanks so much for the link to that Christmas sock!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love those beautiful quilts. The mud critters are both cute. I like the wren on the holly sock. Your poppy scarf is lovely. Thank you for sharing your post. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

Libby in TN said...

I am very tempted to try Poinsettias and Pine.

Denise :) said...

I did NOT know they were sisters! What incredible creativity runs in that DNA, huh?! Your work is all so lovely. I adore that Carolina Wren project. I downloaded it, too, along with the 2017 and 2018 projects. So sweet! Lots of lovely stitching going on your way -- enjoy it!! :)

Jenny said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how you assemble the embroidered Autumn blocks, its sure to look wonderful!

Kim said...

Everything is stirring down here in my little spring world. =) Love your sweet little blocks...love the borders. What a gorgeous scarf with poppies all over. You will wear it with great pride.

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

The critters are adorable and the needlework is beautiful. :-)

Allie said...

What a lovely post - I didn't know that frogs and turtles submerged to survive the winter, how fascinating! I love all of your projects, you sure do keep busy. I didn't know that either about Kathy Schmitz and Bonnie Sullivan. Love both of them! And I really, really love your scarf.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your quilts and stitchings are always so pretty, we admire you talent!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lots of wonderful stitching going on at your house. Michelle Palmer is such a wonderful artist. I think she loves birds too!! I always worry about the pond life in the winter and it sounds like this winter is going to be a doozy. I haven't seen a frog for almost a month now.
xx, Carol

Jenn Jilks said...

I admire your handiwork.
This was really funny, though: "their last day topside" ours are under the ice now!

Linda said...

I really enjoy your posts, because I learn about things and people I would know nothing about otherwise! I only recently heard of Kathy Schmitz (probably through you!) and am working on her Snow Sampler, and I did not realize Bonnie was her sister. So now I'm interested in all of Bonnie's things! I love the glimpses into your creative life (and also outside your house!)

You and Princess Kate (and the rest of the royal family) are wearing your red poppies. :)

MissPat said...

What a great picture of the frog sinking into the mud. Shows what spending time watching nature can reveal. I do use a scrap of batting for needles and pins and I also keep a scrap of batting on the cutting table to pick up stray threads and fabric dust. I just keep a roll of batting cut off from finished quilts and chop off a new piece when needed. It's snowing here now and the forecast is for anywhere from 8 to 12" of snow by noon tomorrow. Too early for so much and temps in the 20's during the day. Definitely soup and stew weather.
Pat

Nancy said...

Oh, your poppy scarf is gorgeous! Perfect for November.
Your handwork is so beautiful and perfect. Have I said how much I admire people who can cross stitch? A lot!
The red houses against the black are just beautiful. The quilt looks so warm and comforting.
I know what you mean about reading so many blogs where we see finished quilts. Maybe we should start a blogging group for only in progress posts. You know, I don't believe I've had a single finish this year. I should quick make some tiny quilt or mug mat or pin cushion just so I could have one finish for the year!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! I never thought about what happened to frogs, etc. during the winter. Yes, very deep in the mud they must go. Brrr. Your poppy scarf is so very pretty! And just perfect for Remembrance Day. Plus you're having fun sewing borders on your embroidery blocks?!! That is fabulous. Thanks for linking up today. ~smile~ Roseanne

Angie said...

Jocelyn - a beautiful post, from the critters to the stunning quilts. That little stocking design is very appealing - if I didn't already have too many projects on the go! Stay warm, and enjoy the rest of your week!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You always find and share the best projects to get interested in! I, too, really like that Poinsettia and Pine quilt, and the Christmas stocking is adorable! I think the borders you're adding to the embroidery blocks are perfect for them - going they are going together smoothly. Have a great week, Jocelyn!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow you have so many great projects that you find, and then I am tempted and it is a vicious circle. Love your poppy scarf. Now I need to go check out quiltmania.

marebear said...

Beautiful!