Thursday 7 May 2020

Pieces of the Past Flower Garden Block, Scrappy 4 Square,Blocks, Soda Bread, Flowers Outside!

AS_WCLeaves.jpg
From the journal of talented Alexandra Schmid.  An illustration I think our watercolour painting friends, LeeAnna and Mary, might like. And sadly, mess is the word. For all our technology and advancements, a virus is going to leave quite a mark on mankind.  But we are doing our best to make the best of it all and I love that.

A few other things I love...
We are enjoying watching The Village on Brit Box and I think I've had tears in my eyes once every episode. Warning: It is grittier than most of these shows tend to be, though after the first episode it all eases up. Maxine Peak is a favourite of ours from her Silk days.
                         encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT...
And Tilly our turkey has been visiting the feeder regularly early morning or late afternoon for a week or so.  She loves scratching underneath and seems to be having good luck. I read that they are omnivores and eat a variety of items.  I hope she is eating ticks.
Here she is fleeing by way of the side garden. Look how green it has become over there.
I love how people have taken to their kitchens to cook and bake during this time. Wonderful recipes turning up. I'm hoping to make banana oatmeal muffins soon and clear out those old bananas I've stuck in the freezer.
  I did make another soda bread loaf last week and added raisins and a little sugar this time. We enjoyed it almost to the end. It dries out quickly. I had thought of making a small bread pudding out of the leftovers but we didn't leave enough for that so Murphy got the last piece.
I'm happy there is more light and what there is of it, seems brighter. It is May after all but with the possibility of snow in the forecast (thanks Polar Vortex!), it isn't a given that there will be warmth.  But all my indoor green things are greener. And sighted on our trails, the trout lilies are blooming, a sure sign of spring. Such a delicate flower to bloom on a forest floor. I love them.
I've been continuing to stitch scrappy four squares as a border for my baskets. I will have cleared out almost all of the smaller scraps of browns, creams and odd yellows by the time I finish this.
My hand stitching projects are progressing.  Love how the various pieced sections of the Flower Garden block make such a star.  Everyone loves stars! From Melva Loves Scraps Pieces of the Past SAL.
A few bright spots in the garden. Worried now they'll get clobbered by the weather on the weekend.
No raking just yet.  I read we need a daytime high consistently 10 C which we have yet to achieve. And with overnight below freezing temps, I'm sure hibernating insects have not been awakened.

Murphy outwits us every time and manages to plunge herself into the pond on most walks. Oh how she loves the water! We watched her one day lie in a puddle and flip to her back wriggling about even though there was hardly any water.
But yet when we give her a bath, she looks sad and bedraggled like we are punishing her.
Hope this Thursday finds you all well.
Love linking with Not Afraid of ColorPaying Ready AttentionMy Corner of the WorldQuilt Fabrication , My Quilt InfatuationFloral Friday FotoBrian's Home BlogGone Stitchin'I'd Rather B Birdin' and the Needle and Thread Network.








36 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm glad to see you are seeing flowers! a touch of spring is needed to keep people cheerful I think. We are in a chilly phase again and record cold nights for this time of year considering we have plants and gardens going, at least no frost expected but 40 is chilly for the tomato plants for tomorrow night. I too have been baking too much - something about staying home - I wonder why - because we mainly stay home anyhow so what's with the baking I wonder? is it that it gives us comfort in some way? I think that must be it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, your flowers are looking so pretty. Love the wild turkey photos and your cute Murphy in the pond. Our dogs loved swimming and being in the water. The star block looks pretty. The bread looks yummy! I like the joy quote! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend ahead!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

How cute Murphy makes his own decisions. Thanks for the link to Alexandra- looks like some more fun. I haven’t been making bread cause we try not to use the oven when it’s so hot. 107 today. Ugh.
SNOW?. Hope it doesn’t hurt those beautiful flowers. What a perfect border for your baskets, can’t wait to see it attached.

Susan said...

Beautiful flowers in your garden right now - spring has sprung!

Bernie Kringel said...

This post seemed to make my whole self relax. I think it is so important to just take a look at our surroundings and appreciate all that is right with the world as opposed to focusing on the negative. And with that, I am going to go enjoy my sewing machine for a bit. :-)

Brian's Home Blog said...

We haven't checked out Brit Box yet but it's on our list to look at. The Dad and Mom have been cooking lots here too. Murphy, whatever makes you happy sweetie!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a lovely quote at the top of your post, Jocelyn! I agree that most of us are trying to make the best of these crazy times. How wonderful to have a resident wild turkey! We love seeing them wherever we go. Your browns, creams, and yellows are what I think of as butterscotch - yummy!

Nancy J said...

We watched " Win the Wilderness" on Netflix, and it was so interesting, 6 couples from UK travel to Alaska, to compete if that is the right word, to inherit a log cabin and the land around it. I think so many that are at home all day have tried to do the baking to vary the goodies/diet/ bread/ or fill the demand for " What's to Eat Mum???" Flour and B.P. were in such short supply here for weeks. Your autumn colours will be a lovely border.

Libby in TN said...

Oh, I would love to see a Trout Lily! We have weeds in our garden that I imagine will bloom like that -- NOT! We aren't expecting snow, but a hard freeze Saturday morning. What whacky weather!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Aww, you've got to love a Lab and her water. On her terms - not yours by way of a bath. Your four-patch scraps look so fab - what a wonderful border they will make. I think that beautiful coloring sums it all nicely - we need to find our joy and happiness right here where we are. In spite of everything being totally different. Take care! ~smile~ Roseanne

Jenny said...

So nice to see Murphy in the water, expect that labs are born for it as retrievers aren't they? Your pretty little brown and yellow four patches are coming along well, they will make a great little border for your basket blocks.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I hope you don't get that cold weather, but it seems that it is all over the country. We are to have freezing temperatures overnight as well.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your flowers are so pretty and such wonderful reminders of Spring! Brit Box seems to have such nice series. I haven't looked into it yet. Your bread looks yummy! Murphy looks like she's having fun! She decides what bodies of water to get into! Love your hand stitched star! Nice way to use up those scraps with your 4 squares!

PaintedThread said...

Murphy says: Banzai!! We may get snow, too. Crazy. Like your lots of little blocks. :-)

piecefulwendy said...

What a lovely post to read! Thank you for the heads up on the Britbox series; we'll check that out. We have trout lilies here, but they are white (and they are protected). Murphy reminds me of kids - swimming, yay! baths - nay! Haha!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The flowers are gorgeous. Love the turkey. The kids have 2 domesticated turkeys, both Toms. They have to be separated. One likes to give hugs it is awesome. Murph made me laugh. My cousin takes her lab out for a walk on a local trail, and if there is a mud puddle, he is laying/rolling in it too. Love your border it is so lovely, and your hand stitched star.

Michelle Ridgway said...

All your pops of Spring are so beautiful and I hope the upcoming weather doesn't harm them. Dogs are funny about their baths but not puddles and ponds lol! Your squares look great x

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, no raking yet. We've 2 C. this am.m
Hooray for spring, though!

Unknown said...

Hello, your little squares look fabulous. Murphy appears to have fun in water.
Hope you don't loose any flowers to the cold snap.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop, we appreciate you hopping in!

Sandee said...

The flowers are beautiful and that pup is having the time of his life.

I hope you had a fabulous Thankful Thursday. ♥

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
What a pretty flower in the woods...Murphy looks
so happy in the pond..Have a great day!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I haven't seen a trout lily in years so thank you for sharing the photo. Wonder if your turkey is a he or a she and if there will be a family visiting soon.

betty-NZ said...

Fabulous photos of your turkey and the flower you found. We get a lot of British older series, but this one sounds very interesting!

It's great to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

Veronica Lee said...

I'd love to see a trout lily in person! I enjoyed your pops of Spring!

MissPat said...

It would be so much easier to have a positive outlook if the weather would start acting more like May and less like early March. Brrrr! My trout lilies have all but disappeared since the deer started eating them several years ago. I guess I'm just a real contrarian because I have neither made hundreds of masks, nor done any baking. There are some ripe bananas though, that need to be dealt with. Does Canada celebrate Mother's Day or is it strictly an American thing? At any rate hope you have a good weekend and that this cold weather is soon gone.
Pat

LA Paylor said...

that's funny about labs. dirty pond water=good baths and soap=bad
your photo of the lily is astounding. I actually went, OH! when scrolled to it! Good for the turkey... when you're bigger people tend to forget you're still a bird and want some seeds! your blocks are pretty, the star is so pretty!

kiwikid said...

Lovely to see your spring flowers, that yellow Lily is beautiful. You have a heap,of 4 patches done there, the star block is great too. Nice to see Tilly visiting, ah dogs make you smile don't they!!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

What a lovely lilly. Such a beautiful colour. You've been a busy lady with all of your 4-patch blocks and that soda bread looks really yummy. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

Maria said...

Lovely to see the Lily pop up and daffodils...
Good progress with your four patches...
Nice str block too.

Susie H said...

Pretty flowers, silly dog! Your star block is really pretty and am curious about your 4-patches. Have a great week!

Linda said...

Haha our dogs have always been the same way - find the smelliest water on earth to splash in but cringe like we are beating them if we try to bathe them. Love your (hoping for) spring views!

Cheryll said...

I hope "spring" stays in the air...& thanks for sharing some wonderful pics.
Thanks for joining in FNwF too...xox

Hootin Anni said...

One very enjoyable post! Loved seeing Tilly especially. But, so much more. I want to thank you for linking in at I'd Rather B Birdin this week.

eljuliocesares said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Prof Robert Hernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.