Sunday 10 May 2020

Happy Mother's Day, SAL Updates,Talking to Mom

First of all many thanks for the interest in my post about free vintage embroideries, Free Vintage Patterns and Several Vintage Style Projects.  I really enjoy sharing the great sites I visit around the internet and giving those folks a well deserved little shout out.  Hearing that some of you find enjoyment or patterns to download, etc. from them makes my day!

I have finished January's block for my cross stitch project, Year at Hawk Run Hollow.  I enjoyed the stitching very much but have to do it in the mornings when the natural light is at its best. These blocks are fairly large at 6 x 6 in each which you would not think from just seeing the pattern.
This is our link up day for the international SAL hosted by Avis at Sewing Beside the Sea. She is doing a happy dance today because her lovely highland landscape project is finished. You can see such an interesting variety of projects if you visit these stitchers.
AvisClaireGunCaroleSueConstanzeChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHeidiJackieSunnyHayleyMeganDeborah, MaryMargaretRenee, CarmelaJocelynSharonDaisyAnneConnieAJJennyLauraCathieLindaSherrieHelen

I've sewn a few more little freezer paper, hand stitched baskets.  Pattern called Basket Case is from Michelle at Michelle Ridgeway Designs and I must check what she is intending to do with hers before I make up my mind about these.  I'm tempted to add a few embroidered flowers to the centers there. Love the pinks.
I've downloaded the next block, Basket of Diamonds, for the Pieces of the Past SAL hosted by Melva at  Melva Loves Scraps.
                          
It is another sweet little block, also a vintage pattern and I can't wait to give it a try. I enjoy reading about their history as well.

I'm a little late posting today because I was on the phone, something unusual for me. I was talking to my mother who was having a good day.  She likes when we chat about food and old recipes. Today I quizzed her about an old dessert type square she used to make for her card clubs. It had a graham cracker crumb base and used a can of fruit cocktail. She remembered it also needed a can of sweetened condensed milk something she would have had to make a point of buying just to make these squares. It was always a hit especially for those with a sweet tooth. I must look it up sometime as Hubby would probably like it. I don't know if they still make fruit cocktail in a can though.

So lastly Happy Mother's Day to all celebrating today! Photo Credit
00-bird-animal-photography-34
Motherhood in nature is so often a joy to behold.
Also happy to link with Kathy's Quilts and the Needle and Thread Network.













30 comments :

Julierose said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU;)))
I love your little sitcheries..I will go and visit your groupies...;))
thanks ~ ~ ~ waving from my recliner still!! Julierose

Brian's Home Blog said...

Happy Mother's Day from all of us! We love that sweet Mama bird!

Anonymous said...

lovely patchwork blocks ^^
claire93

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love that bird photo! so cool - have a great day

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those little baskets are calling to me, Jocelyn! I'm tempted to download the pattern and give one a try, even though applique is not my strength. :) I'll be talking to my mom this afternoon as well. Lately, she does not remember how to cook many things that have always been family favorites, which is kind of sad to me. Not sure why cooking would be a memory that would go. I do think you can still buy canned fruit cocktail. Happy Mother's Day!

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

Lots of lovely stitching in those squares. Well done!

Libby in TN said...

Sweet stitchery! I don't think I could work at that scale.

Magpie Sue said...

I'm going to have to go back to look for those posts about the old embroidery patterns and textiles! Haven't been in cyberspace much of late. Your projects are coming right along though - looking good!

Jenny said...

Happy Mothers Day to you! Ours was very quiet here at home, but I had a nice little gift to unwrap from my daughter, so that was nice. I've just downloaded the pattern for Michelle's baskets so could well be doing some of these in my future too.

Kim said...

Happy Mother's Day to you. Love the photo of the sweet babies sheltering under their mother's wings...so precious. Little embroidered flowers would look lovely in your pretty baskets. Love the fabric in your new block. I clicked on your link and must say love the quilt of pretty baskets overspilling with embroidered flowers. Love the shape of those baskets. Your January embroidered piece is stunning.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too! That pic of the mother bird explains very nicely what being a mother means! But, I am so grateful to have been one! Good start on your year at Hawks Run Hallow!

K Reeves said...

Happy Mothers Day to you too, Jocelyn! Love that mama bird and your monthly stitchery. I am going to do Melva's quilt along, I think the letters are fascinating!

Nancy J said...

Has the feathered Mum got her legs crossed? So many Mums all over the world, those of us whose Mum has gone, but never forgotten. I am so lucky to be a Mum too. XXX from down in NZ.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Happy Mother's Day to you Jocelyn. Love the birdie Mum at the end of your post. I love some of old desserts from childhood. Your baskets are coming along nicely. I have decided to stitch a larger basket with flowers as a centre medallion with the smaller ones around It. Yoir cross stitch is lovely too x

Anonymous said...

Happy MOTHERS Day to you all. My mother passed away a few years ago but I remember many happy times and some were learning how to quilt. She would invite the neighbors for quilting bee.
Us girls had to help as well. I still quilt but I don't have the room anymore to set up a frame and I have to use a hoop. I have been doing embroider a few baby quilts. I did 6 to take to cancer care for children. I feel so sorry for the little ones who have to go through having cancer. I am a cancer survivor myself and I know how it can sap all your energy.
I am working on another one for my second my great grand?. I told the men I didn't want to know what they were having. I did one for my great granddaughter that was cross stitched, it had the prayer on it with bears and flowers. The new grand with either get a girl bear or boy bear cross stitch. I have the blocks done and I have to get busy and finish then.

Christina said...

Congrats on your January block finish! Those little birds are so cute :) Your quilting projects are also turning out beautifully.

Lynn said...

Love that photo of the mother bird, all those gorgeous orange legs! Great shot

Eva H. said...

I very like photo of bird.She celebrated mothers day too :)
Your handwork is very nice.
Best wishes Eva(CZ)

Michele McLaughlin said...

So glad you got to speak to your Mom, how wonderful! I love your January stitchery and enjoyed looking at the other needlepoint work! Can't wait to see your basket of diamonds quilt block! Have a wonderful day!

Jenn Jilks said...

It was a difficult day for me.

Linda said...

I love your baskets in pink and yes a few flowers would be lovely, but they are pretty just as they are. I have a can of fruit cocktail in my pantry, and we can buy it in different sizes. I bought it to make an old fashioned fruit cocktail cake I made back in the 1970s. I'm curious now about your recipe, it sounds good.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Fruit cocktail is still available. I remember my mother draining a can and mixing it will a jello to make a form of salad/dessert (could be used for either). She usually used red jello (probably cherry or strawberry).

Sunny said...

I love your "January" piece -- and your sweet vintage quilt patterns! When I was a kid a can of fruit cocktail accompanied all "fancy" dinners -- Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas. My brother and I used to squabble over who would get the rare cherries, and sulk if we got too many bland pears. I think we must have been terrible children.

Gun said...

Great progress and you started me singing :)

Pyros & Patch said...

Beautiful your post! Cheerful and colorful! Sweet mother bird and her babies...Thanks for your visit on my blog!!!
Hugs,Carmela

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I am always so impressed with your many projects! And that last picture is so adorable I am going to share it with everyone I know!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great stitching. Yes the do still make fruit cocktail. I buy it for holidays to make ambrosia

Mary Margaret Ripley said...

Yes 6 x 6 is a good size! I love this one. And I love the colors in the quilt block. Very Springy :)

stitchingranny said...

Lovely square and those baskets certainly deserve some pretty flowers. The bird with all the legs made my eyes pop till I realised what I was looking at lol x

gkumarsngh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.