Sunday 17 May 2020

Wild Violets, Quiltmania Free Patterns, Book Club and Pieces From the Past QAL's

Stay together
Learn the flowers
Go light
-Gary Snyder

I am happy this morning  because as soon as the dew is dry, I'm heading out to the garden. At last, a day with warmth and dry enough to do some raking.  I hope to clean up some of the ugly gardening I deliberately maintained :) for all the insects and critters. I'm also going to put out our veranda chairs and hope I don't jinx anything weather wise by doing that. It's time to put out the hummingbird feeders as well.
 I dried many seeds last fall with the hopes that they could be planted this spring in spots along the lane way.  Wish me luck!

A sure sign of spring; the northern blue violets have sprung up in the lawn. Such a pretty but also tiny wildflower which you can't tell from this photo.
My stitching fingers have been busy.
I sewed two of this block, Elizabeth, for the Book Club Hand Pieced QAL. (They are different fabrics though it's hard to tell.)  All these blocks have been enjoyable to sew and the ladies have provided clear instructions as well as videos which are also very helpful.
Sitting on a piece of old Sevenberry cloth...I really need a new ironing board cover.
Diann at Little Penguin Quilts has sewn all her blocks in reds and they are so pretty. Take a peek  here.

I've also hand pieced another Flower Garden block...Melva's Pieces From the Past SAL free project.
I'm going to work my way through blues and enjoy the stitching journey.
There are so many quilt alongs happening, it's wonderful to see.
 Here's another that I've downloaded the free patterns and will enjoy stitching, I know. It's from the clever folks at Quiltmania, my favourite quilting magazines. A number of designers from around the world have generously contributed a block to what they are calling the Solidarity Quilt.  This pretty block is Barb Vedder's contribution.


A house block...hard to resist, isn't it?!
I've got work to do, flowers to learn, while the weather cooperates. Hope your Sunday is great.
Always a pleasure to join the linky parties at Kathy's Quilts and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.










18 comments :

Faye said...

Love love love the house block! Great colour choices

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Lovely projects! That house block is great, love the red and cream.

Kat Scribner said...

A perfect blend of piecing and applique. Love the fabrics too

Brian's Home Blog said...

We love gardening season, even though we don't have a garden.

Karrin Hurd said...

Love the house block. When my projects slow down a bit, I am going to do as you are with the flower block. That was a great block in the Pieces From the Past sew along. I was able to get some yard work done yesterday, in anticipation of the little bit of rain we are getting today. Have a great week!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have lovely day in the garden I hope the weather stays nice for you

Eva H. said...

I wish you wonderfull Spring day.I gave my flowers in boxes to my windows.I hope-don´t will return any frost.I´m embroidering many hours in the day.I starte to have problems with my eyes in lamplighting(?)
Eva

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Jocelyn, you are so kind to mention my hand-pieced blocks here! It's always fun to see all the different fabric choices that quilters come up with for a QAL, isn't it?! Your Elizabeth blocks look wonderful. I notice your outside edge piece (the big curve) has more left on the edges than mine ended up with - makes me wonder if I need to re-do that section. :) So glad to hear you're getting some gardening time today. Enjoy!

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
Your like me....so may projects to do...not enough time...love the house block..so pretty. Have a great day!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

That house quilt is hard to resist. It is adorable!

Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I really like that house block - the hearts are so perfect and look like they're sheltering the home. Perfect for the times we're in right now. Resident Chef has been busily gardening this weekend too - if you can call what he does on the balcony gardening! Now to hope the weather stays.

Kim Sharman said...

The little red house under the shade of those hearts is beautiful. How wonderful you can at last go outside and enjoy a spot of gardening and when you need a little break, relax in those chairs of yours.

CathieJ said...

I hope the weather cooperated for your gardening. That red house block is very sweet. I like the fabrics you are using in the QAL.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm loving all your blocks and it's fun to see you doing the ones Diann is doing too! Your violet made me so happy for you! It's time for some warmth and sunshine for Jocelyn!!! Yaaaa! :) Have a wonderful day!

PaintedThread said...

I love that house block with the hearts. That is seriously cute.

Sharon said...

We have those same kind of violets in our yard too. And they keep trying to take over! I hope your gardening was successful! We've had a few nice days and I managed a little gardening, but paid for it with some pain for a few days! Guess I should do it more often?
Your blocks are all so pretty! Your arcs are very elegant, and the house block with the hearts is just sweet!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - good for you to maintain all that garden refuse - it is important for critters, including birds building nests. I have also found that it gives natural seeds (from self-seeding) a place to lodge until ready to sprout in spring! Lovely, lovely violets!

Annemiek said...

You are doing nice projects. I hope you could sit outside with some stitching it is always so fine to relax in a bit of sun.