Sunday 5 September 2021

Rule #2, Quilters' Memory Match Game, Breakfast For Supper, Squishy Mail

While most are fading, the late summer flowers continue to blossom.  The Phlox, in these vivid pink hues, add such a pop of colour to the hedges.   

And here is my ancient apple basket with the indoor geraniums outdoors all summer. Some critter ate the blooms twice but, have to hand it to geraniums, they kept reblooming.

 I used to be so much more creative in my cooking and baking than I'm being these days. I thought of that when I went to make pancakes recently. I used to make crepes and turn them into a main dish when using savory items or a dessert with cream and berries. It's been a long time since I made them; I know I made them up at the old farm several times but not at all since moving here. The pancakes I made last night for our Breakfast for Supper meal used the simplest of recipes...Good Old Fashioned Pancakes. I did add blueberries.

Meanwhile I got mail and not just any mail, squishy mail.  Lovely fabrics from a new to me company, Elegante Virgule. Their specialty is Liberty fabrics but I warn you, don't go to their site unless you want to be sorely tempted (as my grandmother used to say).  These are Rifle Paper Company.

 The delivery was fast and they generously included a gift for me. Does "Wild Rose" appeal to you like it does to me?

I'm starting to collect fabrics for Jen Kingwell's Halo quilt.  I received the templates, acrylic ones, last week.  I'm treating myself instead making up cardboard patterns like I normally do.  Rule #1, 😀 I can't wait to give this pattern a try- more hand stitching ahead.

Rule #2 Do something creative every single day!

This is generally not that hard for me to achieve. How about for you?  I'm working on my various hobbies just about every day. There are a few of my favourites like my bit of writing, reading, needlework, photography. I like to think it keeps my mind active and as long as I am actively engaged in one of them, I don't feel like I'm wasting time. And like many of you say, going into the sewing room or looking forward to picking up your stitching can lift you out of a ho hum or bad mood or soothe you through trying hours. Which is not a small thing especially considering how the world news continues to be so grim. This definitely works for me. I'm really hoping my age won't affect this aspect of my enjoyment in life.

And one last thing...you know those kids memory games where you match up animals, here is a free one for quilters. You have to remember and match hidden quilt blocks and besides flexing your memory muscles, it gives you a chance to learn the names of the blocks. I've completed level 1. Here is the link to Jinny's Memory Match.


I have a ton of stuff to share. Can't wait to see you back here again soon!
Happy to link with Kathy's Quilts and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework

  





16 comments :

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous flowers and fabric! I usually keep active, and always have projects, and constantly thinking up new things to do. This week I will be busy giving grandson rides home from school, and fixing him an evening meal till his parents return on Wednesday evening. It is nice to be cooking again. I love to cook and miss it a lot. But to cook for one, I don't want to eat leftovers constantly! Hope you have a great week.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great pic of the phlox. Oh those fabrics are gorgeous. I like the Tilda fabric.....I need to get back to my Tilda project. I don't cook often it is such a struggle to cook for one at times. Then there are times I get bored of what I make. Oh the Jen Kingwell looks fun. There are two quilts in her upcoming book. One called Winki Stars and the other called Daylesford which are calling my name.

Deb A said...

Pretty flowers and I love your rules. You got me hooked on the word game.... sigh as I go check out this new one.....

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The critters eating the geraniums obviously was pruning in preparation for a final big show of blooms. Those fabrics are so drool worthy - I love small prints and the colours you picked are wonderful together.
As for the Rule # 2- I'm not fit to live with if I don't do something creative every day, even if it's only a few minutes.

Jackie said...

Okay, now I have to check out that fabric store. I think the squishy package you got was just beautiful.

God bless.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh squishy mail is the best kind of mail- particularly when it is fabric. Your fabrics are gorgeous and how wonderful that they included some extra fabrics. Looking forward to seeing you new quilt as you work on it. Happy quilting.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your flowers sure are pretty and you sure have some pretty fabrics to work with.

Jenny said...

Buying new fabric is definitely exciting, not that I've done that for a while!I think most of us are definitely creative every day, we just cant help ourselves, it seems. And it doesn't have to be for hours at a time, little bits of time all mount up.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love how your geraniums look, even after being pruned by the local wildlife! Pretty fabric purchase, and I do love that Halo design. I'll enjoy seeing you make that! I do try to sew everyday - maybe you could call that being creative. It certainly makes the day feel complete!

Nana said...

Doing something creative every day is a wonderful thing and idea.

Nana

Linda said...

You chose really lovely fabric, and I'm trying hard not to click on the link to that store. That pancake recipe is my very favorite, and I first made them back in 2003! I wrote a nice review for it. They are delicious. I haven't received my acrylic templates yet, as I ordered them from Jen Kingwell's store. It may be months coming from Australia. But I saved some money with the exchange rate - probably enough for a half yard of fabric - lol! I did a head slap realizing I could have made cardboard templates instead of the thin craft acrylic sheets I bought.

MissPat said...

I glad to see you continue to practice Rule #1. Those fabrics are such pretty calming colors, not what I'm usually drawn to. I do need to work on Rule #2, but with cooler weather on the horizon, that will be easier to accomplish. I've been doing Ginny's Memory Match for years now on The Quilt Show website. I guess I'm a slow learner though, as I still get many of the block names wrong. Enjoy your week.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful flowers and fabrics! And I like your rule about doing something creative every day. Thanks for the link to Jinny Beyer's game, it was really fun (and challenging)!

Bev Longford said...

Such wonderful flowers. Could I ask where you got the Halo templates and the book from , I can't seem to find it anywhere and I have had this floating around in my must make this someday and I certainly have more than enough of scrapes to do this. This year I have been enjoying hand sewing blocks for quilts, probably because appliqué is my passion.

Bev Longford

Carol Andrews said...

What a wonderful post to read filled with such pretty photos. Flowers, fabric and a fun game! Can’t get anything better than that 😉

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I love the fat quarter pack from The Rifle Company! I am so tempted and almost did that yesterday, but have slapped my hand and went forward. Anxious to see what you make with the fabrics. Flowers are lovely! Have a great day! Hugs