Thursday 30 September 2021

Nostalgia Notes, Oodles of Links, Free Patterns, Halloween Project

Rule #8 Concentrate on the memories- the good, the happy, the tiny ones too.  I am now free. I no longer need to prove a point, win an argument, get my point of view across, retell my side of the story. I'm done with all that. None of that matters to me or anyone else anymore. Let all that go and instead, remember and concentrate on the good and sweet stuff. 

Nostalgia has been proven to counteract loneliness, boredom and anxiety. It makes people more generous to strangers and more tolerant of outsiders. Couples feel closer and look happier when they're sharing nostalgic memories. On cold days, or in cold rooms, people can use nostalgia to literally feel warmer. NY Times.

I'm a member of Facebook groups for places I have lived and I like to have Fb friends from all those places as well. The connections from the past and memories they stir seem important to me. And not just me. The remembering of streets, events, buildings, people seem enjoyable to all who take the time to read these posts judging by their comments. And not just us old folks; sometimes it is grandchildren chiming in with their memory of things as well. 

 I can also feel quite nostalgic sometimes for aspects of my childhood. For instance, books were there right from the beginning. Though money was tight, both my parents were readers and belonged to a mail order book club and the library when I was growing up in Corner Brook. Seeing a certain kind of illustration will take me back to school and my readers that I enjoyed so much. And the simple rhyming verses too. They certainly had a strong influence on my own early writings too.

From The Bumper Book by Eulalie

 Subscribing to Brain Pickings has taught me lots of interesting things. Pearl S. Buck is one of my favourite authors and I spent many happy hours reading my way through her books as a young university student. (When I should have been studying my textbooks no doubt!)

 Here is an article about her Nobel Prize for Literature win for The Good Earth. She remains still the youngest woman to receive that honour. I just love when an author can write simply yet beautifully and tell an interesting story at the same time.  I reread this book when I lived on Baffin Island and remembered how it made me nostalgic for the university campus days I enjoyed so much. 

                                     

Early  memories of  Mom are often of her, apron on, standing at the stove stirring something. Certain dishes our Moms make often stay in our memories all our days. ( There is the story of the elderly lady who while deep in Alzheimers had only one real memory left- that being of the pulled taffy her mom would make for her and her siblings when they were kids).  Here is a great link to some of the same sweets or very similar to ones I got to enjoy when even I was a kid. I wonder will you recognize any from your youth too.

27 Nostalgic Baking Recipes That Will Make You Feel Like a Kid Again From the folks at Taste which is Australian I think because we would call these bars or squares instead of Florentine Slice. But they look delicious so I've bookmarked this recipe.


For the knitters, I enjoyed this article and I know Mom knit some just like these back in the day and crocheted doilies that looked just like this too.  I may not need another knitted dish cloth- I still have some she knit, but I would like these made a little larger for cushioning under my plant pots. Here is the link.


Michele, at what I think of as her other blog, Pennsylvania Piecemaker, writes interesting posts about the history of bygone day quilt making. I admit to having a real love of old patterns. In that link, Michele shows a quilt with leaves as a motif, something that is on my long list to make. Melva at Melva Loves Scraps loves to share diary entries from the past and link them with quilt patterns; she also loves hosting SAL 's featuring those patterns sharing free copies and lots of tips for making them. 

In keeping with the nostalgic theme, I got out my autumn/Halloween project from last year. Some of the start of this project is featured in the post on the right, back in 2019.

The one I had embroidered vintage Halloween motifs for...

Such enjoyable stitching and I have it about half way hand quilted.

This will get a share of my stitching time now for the month of October and I'm thinking doable to finish. I got some of the free patterns from Martha at Q is For Quilter who no longer blogs but has kept her posts up for reference purposes...well worth a visit. The others came from a bundle I'd purchased from Homespun Hearth by Buttermilk Basin. Another site with lots to explore.

Hubby and I just finished watching this series on Brit Box and enjoyed it very much. Him for maybe the third time. Here is a great article about it...4 Reasons You Should Watch The Duchess of Duke Street.

He had a tear when we finished the last episode as he suddenly remembered how much his mum had loved the series. 
Our connections with the past are meaningful and usually consoling to us. I'm grateful I have a bank of memories too that are dear to me and worth rekindling even more going forward. 

  This unusual strange time in history will be ushering in new memories. Hopefully, some of them will be good ones, good enough for folks to feel nostalgic about in the future. 

So happy to link with Not Afraid of ColorTexas Quilt GalAlycia QuiltsConfessions of a Fabric AddictWendy's Quilts and More and Life in the Scrapatch



29 comments :

Radka said...

I like your rule #8, I so agree - it is an advantage of "certain" age; when I retired I knew that I will never have to prove anything to anyone again -
how liberating!
xx

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
I'm 69 and I still have memories from days as a child. But the one memory I have that is my favorite...is my mom's Vegetable Soup..I can make Vegetable Soup, but it doesn't taste like mom's...I think she put a Secret Ingredient...that she never shared...lol I read The Good Earth ages ago, I'll have to read that one again. Love your Autumn/Halloween project. It will be beautiful when finished. I have Acorn too, I'll have to check this series out. I really like watching shows about the English. I know what you mean about the time in history..it seems to be changing so fast I can't keep up with it...and I am not a person who like change. But I'll get used to it sooner or later. Have a great day!

Michele McLaughlin said...

What a lovely compliment Jocelyn! Thank you! I love this post especially about nostalgia. My husband spend a lot of evenings outside talking about what we remember as kids. I love your Halloween quilt! GORGEOUS! I still refer to Martha's website, it is without a doubt my favorite quilt blog and such a great resource! Have a lovely weekend dear Jocelyn! Let us know if you make the "slices" and if you like them! Hugs!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Thanks for the link to the dishcloth--
I made a bunch of these years ago--
and when I woke up this morning--I was thinking of them and wondering where the pattern might be--so now I don't have to go look for it--I just printed it off--
thanks for the timing--
hugs, di

Out To Pasture said...

Thank you for reminding us of that excellent series, The Duchess Of Duke Street. Now I'm enjoying it all over again. What a strong accent cockney Louisa has. I didn't find it on Acorn but did on Britbox.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

This is a lovely post, Jocelyn, and I really enjoyed reading it! Reading and the library are certainly big parts of my childhood. Also picturing my mom at the stove, and I would be helping. I love your Halloween quilt with its fun embroidery designs. Glad to see you have it back out again!

Jenny said...

You always have such interesting links to share, thanks so much. Your Halloween quilt is coming along nicely. HOw much more quilting to go till you finish this?

Northern Quilter said...

I have a college friend (Macdonald College) 3who was from Corner Brook, NFLD. Betty Halfyard was her maiden name. Perhaps you knew her/her family?

Brian's Home Blog said...

Love that Rule 8 and we're often quite nostalgic here too. Love the quilts and those yummy bars look delicious.

Jackie said...

I find myself thinking more and more about the way things used to be, enjoying tastes and sights of long ago times.

I love Pearl S Buck novels. I read The Good Earth in high school and then again a few years ago. Such a wonderful story.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - will have to watch the Duchess of Duke Street. Nostalgia will keep you warm? I may need to try that. LOL.

QuiltGranma said...

Love the look of the recipe, but have no clue of grams. It has my mouth watering though.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Jocelyn, I loved your post! Yes, we were on similar wave lengths! I too loved reading and the library. Library ooks allowed me to travel all over the world. Your Halloween quilt is at the end of its making journey. I can't imagine the time you've already spent hand quilting!

gladiquilts said...

It’s always a pleasure to discover a post from you in the morning to read with my first cup of coffee! Thank you taking the time to share your diverse activities and interests. I love your Halloween quilt!

MissPat said...

Rule #8 is a good one and I need to work on getting better at it. Interestingly enough, my memories of someone cooking dinner are of my father, who loved to cook. I'm sure my mother regularly cooked dinner, especially on weekdays, but it's my father's recipes I remember most. I hope you are able to finish the Halloween quilt. It is wonderful and needs to get displayed.
Pat

Scrapatches said...

Thank you for this lovely post and linking up. Your take on nostalgia speaks to me. Your embroidered Halloween quilt is so beautiful. Enjoy the hand quilting on this beauty. I so enjoyed all the links ... <3 <3 <3 Pat

Deb A said...

What a wonderful post! I love going 'home' to see my family and all those old memories from growing up and the stories come out. Good memories. That knitting pattern looks fun - I bookmarked it and will give it a try... after I commit to finishing off a project or two! Love your halloween quilt - very pretty. Enjoy your weekend.

Linda said...

What a wonderful post Jocelyn - thanks for the pick-me-up! Your words are welcome on a day when I'm having ugly thoughts - lol! I do love nostalgia and indulge in it quite often. Lately I've been thinking so much of my childhood with such happy memories. I miss my family - they are all gone besides me - but I remind myself I have the best family ever and all live fairly close.
I love your stitching on your Halloween quilt! Thanks for the link to the free patterns - I just found some Christmas ones that I will download.
Thanks for linking to To Do Tuesday! :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your Halloween quilt is gorgeous, love the little vintage stitcheries. What an interesting note about how nostalgia makes you feel better. Have a fabulous first weekend of October.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I loved reading this entire post - so many things to agree with and ponder. It's funny but I often get excited about eating something that I remember fondly from my childhood and then being very disappointed when it doesn't taste the same as I remember (creamsickles, I'm talking about you!!).
I remember my grandma having those clothes but she used them as doilies and something she would put two of them together and use them as a hot mat.

PKBrandon said...

Hello,
What a good post. I'm 71 and memories pop into my head frequently - some fond, others not. I find I reflect on the past quite a bit and am quite hard on myself but happy with where I am in life now. I'm still working full time and foster dogs for a local rescue while tending to some of my interests such as gardening and needlework. I really enjoy visiting you here.

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, I so enjoy the references you make to things you are enjoying and links to various interesting places. I think we need to try Britbox. We have loved the episodes of New Tricks that we got to watch on Prime, and Britbox has all their seasons as well as so many other series we have enjoyed. We watched Prime Suspect years ago on our PBS station and I had never seen Helen Mirren before. I have subscribed to Brain Pickins that I knew nothing about. Thanks for sharing your interests.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun Halloween quilt!
I like all the memories too

Rosemary Dickinson said...

My college roommate and I still talk about our college days. I feel nostalgia and our memories are happy but also sad. When I was younger, I never thought I would miss those times. I wish I knew that then!

audrey said...

So interesting to read the 'rules' and your thoughts on nostalgia. I remember having a friend who all of a sudden went' minimalist and how very cold I thought her home to be. It seemed very sad and I couldn't quite figure out the totality of it, but there was nothing sentimental left at all, so no soul? No warm and fuzzy conversation pieces?

K Reeves said...

I read The Good Earth for the first time this year, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember my mom reading this when I was very young. Your Halloween quilt is very cool, and the spider web quilting is genius!

The Cozy Quilter said...

I used to love it when my mom made fudge. We got to lick the spoon when she was done! The Halloween quilt is a great project to work on during October

Bernie Kringel said...

Jocelyn - this post contains such wisdom - I am a very nostalgic person and sometimes wonder if I was just born in the wrong time period. I love reading about life in the 40's and 50's. I love Craftsman houses and recipes from that era (tho many of them are not exactly healthy). Quilting, sewing, reading and gardening are all my favorite pastimes. Something else I treasure are the few examples of my grandmother's handwriting. I have one or two recipes from each grandma written out by them. I wish I had more though.
I remember very much enjoying The Good Earth so I think I will put it on my Kindle. We are heading up to Washington State soon and I want to have a good selection of books to read during our trip.
Thank you for this lovely essay.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Great Rule - #8! Love the post!