Monday 20 September 2021

Rule #6, Bargains, Delicious Macaroni, Flying Geese, Courthouse Steps

 Rule #6 Walk Tall.  In keeping with the walking...One of my aims during my year leading up to 70 was to be as fit as I could be. And part of that was improving my posture.  With decades of bending over childrens' heads and desks and a needle or book etc., well let's just say,  I was not happy with my posture. And I have a fear of developing a hump on my back.

 So I made a conscious effort all of last year to improve  it.  I read a little about it and also watched YouTube videos. I reminded myself especially when walking to straighten up, put my shoulders back, tuck in my chin. And the effort paid off in the sense that I always remember when walking to straighten up now. I still catch myself slumping so I've not "corrected " it as such but I now seem to be aware when I do that.  I'm also much more aware about aligning my head to prevent head forward syndrome, etc.  So trying my best to keep as straight as I can. I've tried to concentrate on this rule other times in the past but would let it fade. I wish now I'd kept at it as it feels good. 

I liked this Healthline article, 12 Benefits of Good Posture, and I do the floor exercise, the Bridge, which was always a part of my aerobics years ago.

Follow up to last post and a question about the tiny scrappy table topper I showed. Here is the little embellishing I stitched using yellow and orange valdini threads. Enjoyable easy herringbone stitching.


I also stitched together a few orange mixed fabrics for a little gift.  What do you think I'm going to make with this???
Last week I machine stitched a few more Courthouse Steps to add to the pile.
And had fun sewing colourful geese which I've decided will be one of the borders for the Sawtooth Stars. I used fabrics from the stars or ones that matched. Two more rows to go.
Meanwhile I ordered enough of these cloths for myself and the daughters from Ikea. I think they are a bargain at 49 cents for each dish cloth and 79 cents for each tea towel. Lots of different uses can be found for these.  Here is a link if you'd like to check them out.
I actually got inside a library last week. It felt like visiting an old friend. Here is one of the books I checked out. One of the queens of little quilts and a fabric designer is Jo Morton and this is her second book, Jo's Little Favorites II. There is something homey about the colours in these...cheddars, warm browns, deep reds. Looks like autumn. There is a certain blue she uses a lot that I am going to hunt for. Kind of a bright navy almost cobalt blue.
Quick question...anyone tried this?? It sounds kind of delicious. Macaroni and cheese with stuffing (dressing) on top.  I think I'm going to give it a try. Here are the recipes for both the dishes from Paula at Constantly Cooking. Matter of fact, I will try these recipes today and let you know how it turned out. Update...here is the macaroni mixture and the bread torn into cubes (sort of) ready to be seasoned. I used poultry seasoning, sage, salt and pepper and real butter. 
And we enjoyed it very much.  It made a meal for two nights for us. The next night we had pickles and broccoli with it. Two great recipes!
Thank you all for the very kind comments and emails about what I write in this blog. I love to read each and every one (and Hubby often does too). One of my favourite things in the world is to write these fun posts. 
Also a favourite thing of mine, linking with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Sum of Their Stories and Love Laugh Quilt



16 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You are so right to think about posture, and I'm impressed with the research you did into it, Jocelyn! I'll check out your links as it's something I should be paying attention to as well. I love seeing the projects you're working on - those are some pretty flying geese! I'm guessing the orange project will be a pumpkin?! It's that time of year! Yum on the macaroni and cheese, too.

Libby in TN said...

As I'm reading your post I find myself straightening up in my chair. That seems to be where I slump the most. I frequently used bagged stuffing mix to top casseroles and of course cheese to make it stick.

Jackie said...

I used to have excellent posture, but now find I have to remind myself to straighten up.

The Macaroni dish looks very interesting.

God bless.

Out To Pasture said...

Like you, I've been paying extra attention to posture, Jocelyn. Been following the instruction of 'Bob and Brad' on YouTube.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I never heard of putting stuffing on top of mac/cheese - well need to try that sometime. All of your quilts are looking good too. I have to constantly remind myself to stand start and to not slump - it is hard to remember for sure!

Jay said...

Thank you for the reminder about posture. I turned 70 in January, and I spend a lot of time hunched over a desk or sewing table, so I, too, need to pay attention to my own posture. After breaking a shoulder several years ago, one of the exercises I did was to roll my shoulders back and down while stretching my neck and head up. I need to start doing that again, too!

Vicki in MN said...

You got quite a bit of sewing done! I think you are making a little zippered bag with your orange strips. I love looking at Jo Morton's quilts, so lovely.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I know my posture is sadly lacking because I spend so much time sitting and stitching and I know I should do something about it and I try to but find myself slumping in short order again. I've wondered about getting one of those things you wear that encourages you to sit straight but don't know if they would be helpful or not.

MargaretP said...

Your Amish book looks really interesting, I have a lovely little book of Amish quilts by Gwen Marston, she may have some old editions of other books too, maybe on Amazon....little quilts are always fun.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Our Dad has a posture problem, he wants to slouch too much. Those fabrics are all very pretty!

Jenn Jilks said...

Your sewing projects are wonderful.
The textures and the colours are amazing.

piecefulwendy said...

You have the best attitude about life and activity, and your projects are always so fun to see. Isn't it nice when a meal has leftovers? I love that! I have that Jo Morton book, and I agree that her quilts are so cozy and inviting.

Linda said...

Thank you for the posture reminder! I often catch myself slumping and consciously straighten up but of course it doesn't last. The head forward thing is something I read about a couple years ago and was shocked to find out I did it!
Love your orange projects. I love the quilts in that Jo Morton book, and I know what you mean about the blue - it's a very pretty but hard to define blue. That mac and cheese dish looks exactly like something we would like!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I love your posts and especially your Rules! Makes all think twice about things to help us from aging. I am back to walking the 1 and 1/2 miles each day and the last 2 day I hit the 20 minute mile mark and doing the full 1.5 miles in 30 minutes each day! Still need to get back in shape after 3 months on the stupid indoor bike which did me not one bit of good! Hugs

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I have always tried to use good posture, whether sitting or standing, but was surprised when I was reading that even people who have good posture tend to get that hump. Your courthouse steps are nice, and love your flying geese. I love making macaroni and cheese....just not really healthy. Sigh.

Carol Andrews said...

Your reminder to walk tall is perfect for me right now. I’ve been trying to remind myself as 65 looms to straighten up. I know I feel better when I do and my back doesn’t bother me if I do. Thank you for the tempting recipes too! Mac and cheese is a favourite in my household so being able to dress it up is a fun thought.