Sunday 19 December 2021

Santa Quilting, Vintage Blocks, Tiny Trees, Jewel Box Blocks, Hope For Better

 I was a little concerned about our 95 year old Queen there for a couple of weeks. I was relieved to see her back on duty greeting this fellow, Thomas Trotter, and presenting him with the Queen's Medal for Music on December 8th.

I was a Girl Guide for a number of years and took my weekly pledge to do my duty to God, the Queen and my country very seriously.  This Elizabeth has been my queen all my life. She has never put a foot wrong and I feel very sentimental about her, foolish I know. And the Girl Guide motto, Be Prepared, has also been with me all my life. 

I've mentioned before the whimsical idea (so say meteorologists) that nature provides for wildlife by having more cones grow that fall when there is a hard, long winter ahead. This year there are massive numbers of cones on the trees. I've seen one year before with the trees so laden with cones and I noted that it was a hard winter. I do wonder what we are in for this year. I was aiming for the junco here and you can't see that the top of the tree was so heavy with cones, the branches were all drooping.
These little foundation pieced trees are really fun to sew. I prep a few in front of the tv and have them by the machine ready to go. I wish I had more interesting low volume type fabrics for the backgrounds. After talking about sewing from stash last post, now already wishing for more fabric. Sigh
We got our third shot or booster on Tuesday evening at a clinic in a nearby town. I was surprised to see families there, the children too, getting their vaccines. Everyone was so kind to us and each other and several times I heard we are all in this together. It made me think of the togetherness the world wars made of certain nations. 
With my brain, one thing always leads to another and I thought of the videos I'd watched about quilt making during wartimes. This one below is very good and explains too how women in different nations worked together for the common cause. Especially between Canada and the United States.



And speaking of vintage.  I recently tested a very old pattern called Jewel Box, which also goes by other names. I would really like to make a large tablecloth for Christmas use. I have a few blocks sewn and on the wall to try to decide if I like it enough.  I decided on adding reds for more or less the nod to Christmas. 
 Update: I've continued on and made enough blocks now. Photographing anything down in the sewing room, especially on cloudy days is certainly not showing them well. So I'll get a photo (in another part of the house) as soon as I've sewn them all together.
I enjoyed this photo when it appeared in my Facebook feed, the work of Tom Newsom.  Lots of comments about which pattern it is that Santa is stitching. Any ideas? 
The closest someone came was saying it was Rising Sun. I was able to find a tutorial for stitching this Santa's quilt at Victoriana Quilt Designs. And more of Tom's beautiful Santas can be seen here at Tom Newsom Art.

We have  about 10 cm of fresh snow this morning and the sun is shining. A brilliant Christmasy look to everything. I have my little Snowmen hanging, Bonhommes en Chapeaux, up. I have to smile when I look at them. I've seen tracks lately, but haven't spotted a fox in a while.
And it looks like we will again be sticking close to home. Too much of the new variant around and numbers rising rapidly. We just have to keep hoping this time will be the end once and for all. 
My hope for you is that you are fine, coping well with whatever life has thrown at you this week. And if it's something wonderful, enjoy every minute.




29 comments :

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looking like it will be a stay at home Christmas here too. We get our booster shots soon. I was also a Girl Guide and a leader for several years. . Nice tree blocks and I like your bird cross-stitch as well. Merry Christmas

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love seeing the juncos when they come to our yard - you caught a great picture of that one in the pine tree. It is very laden with cones! I always enjoy seeing what you're working on - something Christmas-y feels just right this time of year, doesn't it? Your Bonhomme en Chapeau definitely made me smile!

Ivani said...

Glad to hear you receive your 3rd booster. I am looking forward to receive mine.
Love those tiny trees and your cross stiched Hope Cardinal is beautiful. The vintage blocks will made a pretty table topper for Christmas.
Have a blessed week. Stay safe and Healthy.
Merry Christmas!!

mamta pandy said...

If I can write like you, I will be very happy, but where is my luck, in fact people like you are an example to the world. You have written this comment very beautifully, I am very glad that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Clothing
Bussiness Dropshipping
establish good relationship
Gurgaon VIP Girl
Gurugram Party Girl
Gurgaon Dating Girl
VIP Girl Gurgaon
health tips for students
Health tips family

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that tree! the pine cones so heavy on the tree - so covered no room for the bird. Even though Elizabeth is not our queen I do admire her sticking with it all these years and not handing the crown to the next in line saying she took the oath for life or whatever - all the gossip stuff though about her grandchildren needs to stop - it is crazy let them get on with their life's.
I'll look at the video later my daughter will be here any minute so no time, all your stitching is great

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that tree! the pine cones so heavy on the tree - so covered no room for the bird. Even though Elizabeth is not our queen I do admire her sticking with it all these years and not handing the crown to the next in line saying she took the oath for life or whatever - all the gossip stuff though about her grandchildren needs to stop - it is crazy let them get on with their life's.
I'll look at the video later my daughter will be here any minute so no time, all your stitching is great

AnnieO said...

That is a lot of cones on the tree! I hadn't heard the saying about the hard winter before, but I live in a beach town :)
Love your little stitching projects. I always have trouble keeping enough low volume fabrics around too.

Jenny said...

Lots of Christmas at your house Jocelyn. The Red Cross video was interesting. Did you know I was lucky to view a quilt housed in Red Cross in London, stitched by civilian women prisoners held in Changi Prison, Singapore. That was amazing to see. Merry Christmas to you two, and many thanks for being my virtual quilting buddy throughout the year, its always a pleasure to read your blog.

Karrin Hurd said...

That Santa picture I received as a Christmas card many years ago, and framed it. I have always loved it. Hope you have a great Christmas Jocelyn, and hope the winter isn't too hard. Here in Northern California the past week, it has been the coldest I remember in many years. I even got out my wool coat the other day!

Jackie said...

That is really a lot of pine cones... I must check our neighbours tree and see what is happening there.

Jewel box is a very interesting pattern.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Wow, that is a crazy number of pine cones! I love your little trees. Your Jewel Box is pretty, too. We were supposed to have gotten snow, but rain and ice instead. I'm not fond of this global warming... Enjoy your snow!

cityquilter grace said...

i noticed the pines heavy with cones late this fall..in new england that is a sure sign of a long cold and snowy winter...doesn't translate very well here in maryland tho...

Brian's Home Blog said...

We like your Queen too, such a classy lady. Love that Santa and the quilt, super cool.

Carol Andrews said...

Hi Jocelyn. I agree it was reassuring to see our queen back on duty. After a lifetime of God Save the Queen, I don’t think I’m ready for God Save the King 😉. Your jewel box blocks are lovely and will make a pretty runner for your table. Hope you get it done by Christmas. I do love that Quilting Santa and recently saw it advertised as a panel on an American site. I emailed to enquire what shipping would be as I think it would be the “perfect” gift for some dear friends that are crazy about decorating for Christmas. They decorate 27 trees between outside and inside. 😃 She had a heart attack a year or so ago and was left with lessened abilities. Her dear husband picked up the slack with me helping as I can. He recently collapsed at work and has now been diagnosed with cancer. I was hoping to get the panel and work on it while I’m staying with them, but the company has not replied to my email. I keep hoping to find it here in Canada but haven’t had any luck yet. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas. Staying home is definitely in order again but maybe next year will be better? 🤞🏻🎄⛄️

The Joyful Quilter said...

Darling little trees and a super sweet little snowman wall hanging, Jocelyn!!

piecefulwendy said...

Juncos are such fun little birds; always busy gathering and eating seeds. I'm so sorry your Christmas plans are keeping you close to home. I hope you can find little pockets of joy along the way over the holidays to make the season a wonderful one for the two of you (and Neddy)!

karenbbsnow said...

Merry Christmas from one Canadian to another. Your little trees are the cutest, how do you plan to set them ?

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Nice post. I admire Queen Elizabeth. She has served your country well and been through a lot. I like your Jewel Box project! Should turn out great!

I wonder just how much of the new “variant” is the flu? Our doctor indicated that they are seeing more flu than the Chinese Virus.

Not sure if the vaccines really keep people from getting some type of ‘variant’ because the Cruise ship had all vaccinated passengers and they are now sick. Hummm.

Take care of yourself, hubby and of course Ned, the Christmas Tree destroyer dog. LOL.

Have a great Christmas and Happy New Year. Hugs

Veronica Lee said...

That really is a lot of pine cones!

Love your little trees!

Deb Hillyer said...

Good morning to you from Ohio. I so enjoy reading your blog, down to earth, family oriented, quilty, just lovely. Your comment about Queen Elizabeth was so true, I have been an admirer of her for many years.
Best wishes for a joyous Christmas to you and your family.

Jenn Jilks said...

We had a bird count and only 1 junco, as well as other birds!
We are staying home, as well.
I was quite wondering about the Queen, as well.

Robin said...

I've noticed there are a lot of cones on the trees here in Utah too.
I have a puzzle of that Santa picture. My husband and I do it every year. I decided I wanted to make the quilt and had the right colors of fabric in my stash. You can see the finish here;
https://solsticestudio.blogspot.com/2020/12/i-finished-this-quilt-before-christmas.html
It isn't an exact copy but close. I hand pieced the blocks to get better accuracy. I think they are Rising Sun blocks too.
Merry Christmas

Susan from Canada said...

I too am very sentimental about the Queen! My Grandmother gave me a scrapbook she had kept since the Queen was a little girl, when I was about 10 years old. I have been a fan ever since - I'm 65 so that's a long time. We live in rural Ontario in Lindsay. Born and raised and raised our children in Toronto. So happy to be living in a slower paced area. I so enjoy your blog and catch up with you every week. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

Charming quilts~

QuiltGranma said...

Great projects you have been working on, but the Santa... no one has mentioned that if that cat's eyes opened it would be going after that needle and thread... something moving! I find it very difficult to do hand work with a cat around. She is currently lounging on the top of my office chair.

Linda said...

Wow those pine cones are thick! I don't know what our warning signs were for the hot winter we are having. We are likely to break a high temperature record on Christmas day. Ugh. I'm longing for snow.
That little fox is adorable, and I love that stitching Santa picture.
I love the Queen and was also worried about her. Although she is not my Queen, I have such respect for her. I agree with you, she has never put a wrong foot. She somehow manages to be the personification of royal but also seems approachable and kind-hearted.
Looking forward to seeing more of those jewel box blocks.
Thank you for linking to To Do Tuesday, and have a wonderful Christmas Jocelyn!

karen said...

all your stitching is lovely - my sister quilts but I do not, just knit. We have a bird feeder and I love to watch all the birds come and visit.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - as you may recall, my hubby is from the UK, so we tend to follow UK happenings, including the Queen! We will see if your theory about the hard winter comes to pass - we have had plenty of snow already, and the temps are about to get a lot colder this weekend! We are scheduled for our boosters on January 4, and I just hope we are not down and out for 48 hours as I have heard from many people. Your cardinal cross-stitch is lovely! Merry Christmas!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We have had juncoes at our suet feeder this year too - normally we have a few come in the late fall but they're still coming. Our tree outside the window has a lot of cones too but not as heavy laden as yours.
Scheduled for our boosters on the 27th and will be so relieved to get them.
And...how I love that wonderful stitching Santa!!!