Thursday 2 December 2021

Three Stitchy Things, Yuletide Blanket, Hockey Boy

I heard the Barred Owls calling Wednesday night, one to another from different parts of the woods. Hubby saw one on his late afternoon walk last week flying silently and low through the trees, low enough that Ned chased it.  Below is another shot from that photo shoot last month...a little better than the blob I showed you before.( I didn't realize I could "lighten" the photo; duh, always learning!) Beautiful feathers and that very dark staring eye. He was staring at me!

 We had a dash of winter and the pond froze over enough the neighbours' daughter came over for a skate. It was wonderful to see her precise curves in the ice and she drew a little heart in the bit of snow for us to see.  However, today it is pouring down rain, a sodden miserable kind of day,  so I don't think that ice will hold up. 

Hockey is huge here in Canada...think football to my American friends. Grandson Robbie is playing hockey this year in a beginner league. He is enjoying it and working very hard on the ice. He was a complete newbie and his parents are pleased to see how much effort he is putting in. Worthy of the early mornings, etc. Here he is tired and showing he scored four goals. Good fun and exercise!

A while back I posed a question concerning good scissors for the sewing room. Thank you all who responded.  Gingher won my tiny poll and I ordered a pair. They are now resting in my sewing room awaiting the next big cutting project.
So happy to have the three rows of this crochet pattern, Yuletide Blanket, now feeling more intuitive so I can forgo having the pattern in front of my eyes all the time. This is a row of Kelly Green. Going to be a while before it is a blanket!

Three Stitchy Things To Check Out 
This is filed under the category...if I had a granddaughter... Ann Wood Handmade has been running a pattern sale. This Primitive doll caught my eye as well as her Elegant Doll too.

Piecing the Past Quilts is going to be running a free BOW project starting in January.
 It's called Martha's Garden and it is applique and you can see the details HERE.

Jolly Jabber of the Fat Quarter Shop has announced their early winter free quilt along, Heartfelt. All the info is here...Fat Quarter Shop Heartfelt Quilt Along. Beautiful large blocks.
 They used Corey Yoder's line called Beautiful Day which is spring like to me. The free patterns will begin in February and they are hoping folks will donate $5 to the Make A Wish Foundation, a charity I love. 

I've been calling the recent blocks I've shown Quilt Bible blocks when the book is actually called The Quilt Block Bible from Rosemary Youngs. Sorry for the confusion!
Well, lunch is going to be a little bit of breakfast today. Hubby wanted muesli for breakfast and I always want a little more protein in our diets where we have gone so plant heavy lately it seems. 
I'm one of those people that find eggs make me feel fuller too, which in my case, is a good thing. LOL
Hope all is rosy🌹 in your garden. 
So happy to be linking with Not Afraid of Color.

21 comments :

Deb A said...


I miss ice and hockey! Love that your grandson is playing and having fun. We had a barred owl that used to visit our woods when I lived up north. Loved spotting him. Your afghan is coming along really well! Have a lovely day.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are doing so well on your Yuletide blanket and certainly doesn't look like you had any trouble with your pattern like I did. I'm moving slow on it - I guess it will be my winter blanket not holiday!
hope your grandson does well at hockey!
love your owl!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good morning, Jocelyn! You can't go wrong with a pair of Gingher scissors! They've been around forever and are a well know brand. How wonderful that Robbie is playing hockey this year. It's an excellent sport and provides a great way to exercise and keep his core nice and strong. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

PaintedThread said...

Four goals - that's impressive! We listen to the barred owls around here, but haven't seen any in a while. I'm envious you get to see yours!

Jenny said...

Your Yuletide blanket is coming along well, and looking so nice and colourful and so very Christmassy!

Miaismine said...

Oh how I love your winter pictures! Great shot of the owl! Robbie is such a cutie - looks so big in his uniform! Yes, I love Gingher scissors as well - I use their smaller ones for my hand stitching! What a cute crocheted coaster. I'm curious, how does the yarn hold up with cold drinks? I'm going to have to remember to stitch some of those up! That project will go onto my Ideas for 2022! Thank you for sharing!
I love your afghan as well! Beautiful pattern as well as colors! Oh, yes, that tiny rag doll is a keeper pattern...I missed the sale, but will definitely be thinking of it....maybe I'll jump in and purchase anyway. Take good care! :)

grammajudyb said...

Great owl photo! I’m like you, protein helps me feel fuller longer. I’m trying to eat more veggies too! So an egg on crisp greens and cruciferous veggies is a treat for me!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I admire your creativity.

Karen said...

I just had poached eggs for supper. I am feeling quite sated.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always love seeing an owl in our tree - they do stare at you in such an intense way! Love my Gingher scissors, so I know you will, too, Jocelyn. How neat for your grandson to be learning hockey! Your Yuletide Blanket is coming along nicely - happy colors.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those stitchy things sure are pretty and that owl is amazing! I've never seen any owls around here but once or twice we thought we heard one.

Nancy J said...

Your new scissors are the Rolls Royce ones!!!

piecefulwendy said...

Barred Owls are so amazing - that's a great photo! Go Robbie! Four goals - no wonder he's tired! You have some fun projects going on, and I think you'll be very happy with the Gingher scissors!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fun owl sighting!!! We've been hearing owls at night recently, too. I love your Yuletide Blanket, very pretty pattern.

Jackie said...

I love the owl picture. He does seem to be eyeing you rather closely.

God bless.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Beautiful picture! I hear owls occasionally but not too often in my area. I love your crocheted blanket. I think Gingher scissors are my favorite too! Love that doll pattern too!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great pic of the owl. get them around her once in a while. I have a nice pair of Gingher scissors. Hockey is big in Michigan too, how cool to see your grandson playing. Your crochet piece is coming along. Yep we had the cold, lots of snow, pond freezing then a couple of days later, warm, rain, and it is gone.

Janice said...

Your rug is growing nicely. Thanks for sharing the details on various upcoming on line projects. Eggs for brekkie are the best.

QuiltGranma said...

To fill up better at breakfast, make old fashion oat meal, with diced apple, raisins and banana. You get your fruit servings for the day, and good grains that clear out the arteries. Missing protein? Nope, that is where the animals get it.

Cathy said...

I can vouch for granddaughters being wonderful, After I had three lovely sons. Hope you get to make the sweet doll.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Seeing your afghan reminded me of the very first thing I ever crocheted. My aunt made dozens of the huge granny square (single granny square) ones back in the early 70's. She came for a visit and showed me how to make one. It's a wonder I ever continued to crochet after that because that thing was mind-numbingly boring!! Yours has a far more interesting pattern than the one I did. (Have you ever seen the Sacred Space afghan pattern? It's gorgeous but would cost a fortune to make).