Sunday 5 December 2021

#2 Best Auction Score, Quiltmania SAL, Homemade Yogurt, Neddy

After two years, we were able to revive our tradition of Robbie helping me decorate the house for Christmas. We had a wonderful day together and he had much fun opening up the totes, unwrapping the ornaments, and choosing just the spot for them.  

Before the shutdown we had won an amazing auction lot for Christmas items. Last year I showed you two of the items we got, the little tree and Scrooge with his moving arms, one holding the light up lamp.

But we didn't bother getting out the large item that was a real score, my #2 best all time thrift purchase.  So here it is, a vintage animated Santa in Sleigh and Reindeer.
 It came in it's own huge tote that takes two old people to lift and is beautifully made with lots of amazing details. When plugged in, the sleigh light comes on, music plays, Santa's arms move and the reindeer's head turns back and forth. It all works, is in pristine condition and Robbie loved it. 


I found this YouTube video of it. 

We can't remember what we paid for the lot but it was probably less than $50. I looked this fellow up and he originally cost around $275, now available on eBay for $200C plus.  An estate sale and surprising that nobody in the family wanted these items. 

I do love saving things from the landfill!

My larger sewing room projects are moving along. I found the time to get out an "in between" project, the appliqued blocks from the Xmas by Quiltmania  2018 free SAL. Here is a link and all the patterns are still available.  I've just added mittens and a berry bowl to the group (mittens are away getting their wooly ties). 

This just might be the year to get this project finished! In fact, I'm going to say finishing this little UFO will be my To Do project for this week.  They will make a cute little hanging. 

 

You've been asking about the yogurt maker. My first batch was a success! Several of you mentioned I did not need special yogurt starter to get it going (thank you) so I bought plain yogurt at the grocery store, followed the easy directions I found online and used that.  Worked like a charm.  The yogurt is a little tangier than commercial which I liked. This one used up leftover chopped apple and grapes and a little honey. It will definitely provide our yogurt from now on. 
I'll leave you today with this photo of Neddy. He had chased a red squirrel into a hole in this mound of rocks. We are unsure of what the rocks were...we have two lines of them running more or less straight through our property. Moss covered, very old looking and definitely arranged in lines like fencing. 
They are now home to many little creatures as I've seen chipmunks running in and out and the pile down by the driveway housed a fox's den. We were told that by the former owners. But fox also use the mound behind the big garage as Rex once chased a fox and it disappeared into the rocks leaving Rex completely bewildered as to where it had gone. With snow now we will see lots of tracks around them.

Hope your Sunday is wonderful!

30 comments :

Nancy J said...

Hiding in a hole, that will be fun for many visits. I made our own yoghurt for many years, but did use a commercial starter. And landfill, op shop or other finds, they are the best. Daughter's jeans have gone to a new home, skirts and tops likewise, shoes were too small. My friend who was the recipient sent me a message with smiley faces, and for the shoes, a few sad ones!!!

Kim said...

You certainly did score with those two Christmas items, Jocelyn! Both are fabulous. Love the grumpy expression on Scrooge's face and as for Santa and his reindeer, how very impressive. So much detail to see and of course hearing all the Christmas jingles will be fun. Those applique blocks are sweet. Love the cheery fabrics and applique motifs. Home made yoghurt always tastes tangier than that bought from the store. Beautiful photo of Neddy standing on the moss-covered rocks surveying his domain.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love that big santa and the reindeer!! what a great find. On the yogurt is it real easy to make and worth the trouble? or is it that you find it tastier and easy to make? I am wondering as I have thought various times of getting a machine like you have to make it - I go through spells of eating yogurt - I will eat it weeks on end then grow tired of it and stop eating for a week or two here and there and then go back to it. Can you make it with low fat milk and low fat yogurt for the starter?

Jenny said...

Neddy is doing a great job of keeping the wildlife in check.
Didn't you do well buying those Chrismas treasures!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

How fun to have Robbie come over and help with the decorations! I bet he missed it as much as you did last year. So glad your homemade yogurt has been successful, too. It sounds delicious! Those Christmas are sweet and such fun colors with their red and cream combinations. And a beautiful photo of Ned by the rock wall! It looks old and possibly historical.

PaintedThread said...

The Santa and reindeer look great! What a fun find. Those little applique blocks are really cute. One of these days I'll try making my own yogurt.... That's a great photo of Neddy. He's grown so much!

Jackie said...

How lovely that Robbie got to help you decorate this year.

The auction lot is wonderful, especially the reindeer and Santa.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

I'm glad you had fun decorating and I totally love Santa and his Reindeer!

Karen said...

Those stone fences hiding in the bush are very common in the Ottawa Valley. Love that Santa thing.

Pamela said...

My grandsons will come on Saturday to help decorate the tree and house. This will be the third year for the eldest and second for the youngest. It is so wonderful to teach them of relatives and friends gone through ornaments they put up.

The stone wall looks like the ones we have in New England in the US which were built as borders to fields. Since we have such a wonderful crop of rocks, they were used as fencing. There are different styles of stone walls but I never learned them.

Blessings to you and the family. I enjoy your blog tremendously and look forward to the next one. thank you.

Bonnie said...

Your finds are quite amazing. I know our kids are not terribly interested in the many things we have collected over the years. I'm just hoping they will want some of my quilts and hubby's woodworking projects.

gladiquilts said...

I love your red and white Christmas project! Christmas is my favorite holiday and I can hardly believe that I’ve never made a Christmas quilt! I MUST remedy that soon! Thanks to you, I’m putting “making my own yogurt “ on my “to do” list for 2022. Pretty sure those rocks were some type of barrier or fence at one time. My landscape is similar to yours and we have those here and there. Have a good week!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your Santa and reindeer were definitely a find! Even though I'm trying to downsize our Christmas decorations I think I would have been hard-pressed not to succumb to that one too.
Haven't tried making our own yogurt yet, but we have kombucha, kefir and sourdough on the go all the time.

loulee said...

That was a great score. What a lovely Santa.

The Cozy Quilter said...

That is quite the decoration! Such cute little appliqué blocks. I look forward to seeing what you make with them . Cold and windy here tonight.

piecefulwendy said...

What a fun tradition, decorating your house with Robbie, and I'm sure he had fun unpacking things after not being there in the past year or so. That Santa and Reindeer were certainly a good score! Neddy looks quite handsome in that photo!

Yvonne said...

The items you found at the auction are amazing! I love saving things from throwing away too. And especially if it is a good bargain.
Your little blocks are darn cute, perfect time of year to work on those.
Looks like your property was smaller with that old stone border wall. Things like that always make me wonder who lived there and who made it…..

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

All your Christmas Decorations are lovely!! what great finds!! and yay for decorating together again!

Ivani said...

Love your applique blocks. Your wall hanging will be a beauty with them.
I also like homemade yougurt.
Your new decorations are lovely.

Janice said...

A nice newsy post. Your decorations are stunning. Good luck with your projects.

Tina W. In Oregon said...

You really scored on the auction with Santa and a reindeer!
We had rock fences all over our property in central California where I grew up. Legend has it that the land (mostly for grazing cattle) was cleared and the fences built by Chinamen but I’ve never looked into the history of the legend. They were fun to play on as a child but you had to be vigilant about rattlesnakes!
I really enjoy reading your blog.

Carol Andrews said...

Jocelyn your finds are beautiful and I’m sure will bring many years of joy to your household. I miss decorating like this but my DH is a Scrooge! Instead I enjoy seeing what everyone else is doing and showing! Lovely rock walls. It’s very pretty in your part of the country! 😉

Linda said...

How wonderful you got to decorate with Robby! Wow on the animated Santa in Sleigh and Reindeer!! What a treasure it is and will be cherished by you. Always thank you for photos of Neddy - we surely miss our Buddy and love to see puppy photos. That is an ancient looking rock boundary - how interesting.
Thank you for linking to To Do Tuesday!

QuiltGranma said...

You have some wonderful finds there. The rock wall reminds me of the poem Mending Walls be Robert Frost. Good fences make good neighbors.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I read an article how many farmers used to build walls for pens and to mark the boundaries of their land, especially around new england. I saw a lot of it when I was traveling a few years ago. What awesome finds and I love the santa and reindeer. Lovely project to be working on.

LA Paylor said...

Ned is so handsome... a show dog a magazine model. Do I need a yogurt maker... you've made me wonder. Love all the stitching!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - sorry I have not been 'round to comment, but I am back now. How blessed you were to receive this auction block - I like all the items, but especially Scrooge. Your appliqued blocks are lovely - my favorite is the snowman!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

First off Ned is growing like a weed! Second, the Santa is something to treasure! And lastly, I love the Quiltmania blocks! Great Xmas project. Hugs

Susie H said...

Thanks for the Quiltmania link. I've now subscribed to the newsletter. Your blocks look great. Silly Neddy. Gracie is like that too -- where did my "friends" go? Hahaha!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Festive thrift score and cute quilt blocks, Jocelyn!