Friday 11 February 2022

Free Patterns, Scrappy Appliqued Hearts, Book and Show and Art Too

I transplanted the White Polka Dot plant into my old teapot which is now a planter. It is doing well in it so far but I need to read up on how to prevent it from becoming "leggy". And I got out my finally completely finished appliqued Scrappy Hearts runner for this week. Pattern of my own multi-year making; I didn't mean it to be that way.  I just kept second guessing all my choices which is what I do when I'm not following along with an expert who knows what they're doing. 

In spite of the decision making, this was such a fun project to sew one mid winter. And I enjoyed adding a few lines of hand quilting around each heart. I seem to have a lot of red scraps- always.
 Below is a painting, Blankets, by Canadian artist, Holly Farrell. I saw this recently on Brenda's site, It's Still a Beautiful Life. I love the simplicity and the use of something so domestic in art. Of course, it is familiar too as we all have a similar stack of well used blankets in our homes. 

You can see more of Holly's work HERE.

I was asked about magnifiers for cross stitching.
 Those threads are tiny to count and my eyes need all the help they can get with that kind of  stitching. I use two different kinds of glasses.  I have the maximum magnification 4.0 readers that I bought at Eyekeeper online; good quality especially considering the price which I find cheap.  I can get 5 pairs for the cost of one pair of Foster Grants locally. I also have special magnifying glasses that I bought on Amazon. Hands free and  it comes with changeable different magnification lenses. 
Free patterns,... At Sugar Sand Quilts (which is rebranding from Pretty Piney Quilts), this month's theme is Wedding and the blocks from various designers are free for one month. You'll find a nice cache of free quilt patterns there monthly.
Like this one which is called Loopy Hearts from generous designer Becca Fenstermaker. Very cute!
Anybody else enjoying this series? I always like Christine Baranski and Cynthia Nixon too who is playing her sister in this. We found it on Crave.
My ebook recently was Pulitzer Prize winning Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. I remembered loving it when I read it years ago. I was surprised by how much I'd forgotten about this piece of great American literature. Quote from it I liked-
  "that old September feeling, left over from school days, of summer passing, vacation nearly done, obligations gathering, books and football in the air..."
Neddy joyfully running through our very own Winter Wonderland...
Hope your week has been a good one and your weekend is even better.
 


28 comments :

Brian's Home Blog said...

WOW, your table runner sure is pretty, love the hearts. Neddy sure is having a fun out n' about! Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your dog running though the snowy woods - such a pretty peaceful photo. Do you think perhaps pinching off the tops of the plant would encourage more growth outward? I haven't seen the Gilded Age and I would like to I wonder if it is on Prime I will need to look. Thankfully I do not need glasses for close up work but it is getting harder I have always been able to see close up but not further away - for instance can not see the people on the tv clearly even though it is large when I am sitting on the couch

Jeanna said...

Your heart table runner is beautiful.
I have a magnifier on my lamp that I use for cross stitch but it gets a little warm sometimes when I have to adjust the lens closer to the work.
That is one happy looking puppy running through the snow!

Jenn Jilks said...

Terrible week here. So much angst.
My polka dot plant keeps climbing out of my terrarium. I keep chopping it off!
Great projects. I have inertia, sadly.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What a gorgeous table runner! The snow looks so pretty and I'm so glad Ned is enjoying it! I'd love a magnifier. I wear reading glasses but sometimes they just don't do the trick!

Sandra Walker said...

Such a lovely read you've given me today, Jocelyn, thank you. Your hearts runner is so pretty, and I'm glad you finally got it done. Oh I know all about second-guessing, and in the end, you think, what was I thinking? It's great. :-) Love seeing Neddy galloping through the snow, and thank you for the TV recommendation; I saw it and thought it looked my kind of show. Great quote too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those hearts caught my crazy quilters' eye and of course I loved seeing the joyful Ned playing in the snow.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love that photo of Neddy running through the snow! Such a happy guy. And your heart runner is lovely, too! The triple lines of quilting around the hearts are really appealing. I was just about to reply to your comment on my blog asking if you use some kind of magnifying glasses for cross-stitch because that is my only problem with kind of stitching - and here you are with that info on your post! Thanks!

Nancy J said...

loopy Hearts, I have downloaded that. Neddy, you look like snow is your favourite place for now, and the hearts runner, lovely reds galore. A friend who did counted cross stitch had a pedestal magnfier with a light, the circle was fairly large, from memory about 8 inches? She did huge tapestries on a stand up frame. I often wonder where all her not finished works and the threads went after she suddenly died. Hope they found a lovely new home.

Linda said...

Stegner is brilliant!

Jackie said...

The scrappy table runner is beautiful and perfect for this time of year.

Neddy looks to be having a wonderful time.

God bless.

Michele McLaughlin said...

That's a gorgeous table runner! The plant looks so pretty in that pot! I love seeing Neddy in the snow! Thanks for the links to the patterns!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like the plant! No green thumb here! Your Heart table runner is so cute - and just in time for Valentines! In 2014 I had 7 quilts done by a Long Arm quilter….. Guess what - there are 4 of them that I still need to hand sew the binding. Have no idea where I will put these quilts as my Quilt Rack is overflowing!!! Stacking them looks like a good idea.

The labs are such wonderful pets and fun loving. They are so full of life! Your Ned is really enjoying his romp in the snow.

Hugs and stay warm!

grammajudyb said...

Your Scrappy Hearts runner is so pretty! I really like the echo stitching around the hearts. Your walk with Neddy mst have been so fun! Gorgeous!

piecefulwendy said...

Stegner is a favorite author of mine. I thoroughly enjoyed Angle of Repose. Neddy looks so happy in romping in the snow! Cute table runner with those scrappy hearts!

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, one of the things I love about your blog is the info you share with us. I just ordered a pair of 4.00 reading glasses from Eyekeepers. I am looking forward to having better vision in my stitching! Thank you for finding things to tell us about. I look forward to each of your entries. I wish we could get the streaming service your are using for The Gilded Age. I am not fond of HBO/Max here. I am seriously thinking of getting Acorn TV so we can watch all the Doc Martin episodes. Our PBS has shown us several seasons but they have not been continuous and critical seasons were skipped. I would also join Britbox to get the old Joan Hickson Miss Marple shows. She was my favorite of the actresses who have portrayed that wonderful character. I’ll look for this Stegner book. I have read one of his books years ago and remember liking his writing very much. My book club has been reading a lot of non-fiction, not my preference, and I’m hungry for some good novels. Thanks again!

PaintedThread said...

The hearts are cute! Neddy!! That's a great photo.

ChezVies said...

Love the scrappy heart and how you did the quilting around it!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Those red scrappy hearts are wonderful! I love the quilting lines around them. It's a beautiful table runner, and your little plant is right in the perfect place!
Thank you for sharing all these eye candies, and linking up ;)

Carol Andrews said...

Hi Jocelyn. Your heart runner is perfect for the season. I love seeing Neddy running through your Winter Wonderrland. Thank you for the tips on the new show Gilded Cage and the site for glasses. I need some new ones. 😉

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Neddy running in the snow is awesome. Bobbin isn't a fan unless Gaia is outside (the daughter's dog) then the zoomies commence and there is a lot of rolling in the snow. Love your table runner it is fabulous. I gave up on my polka dot plant.

Nancy said...

I think your plant may be becoming leggy because it needs more light. That often happens with any plants I try to keep indoors. Our house has lots of windows but it also has plenty of shade trees.
I went to the website of the artist who created the beautiful stack of blankets. I was surprised to realize that it's a painting! Amazing. She does such realistic work.
I just recently finished Stegner's book, Hannah Coulter. And now I've reserved this one. Thanks for the recommendation.
How I wish we had as much snow as you do! It's so beautiful.
Happy Valentine's Day to you and your husband.

Yvonne said...

Great idea that plant in an old tea pot! Love the painting of the blankets, it reminds me of the paintings of one of my favorite painters, Jopie Huisman. https://www.jopiehuismanmuseum.nl/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9aKQBhBREiwAyGP5lfu7ShlNOfjSkDEk2kq8x4vJ_QzmeufUk7-GRb1G1v8zDjVzBC2bnRoCA1gQAvD_BwE
Your table runner is really cute. Happy Valentine!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your table runner, and how clever to use the teapot for a planter. I have a bunch of teapots, maybe I could use for my orchids. Thanks for the idea! I have seen that Gilded Age when looking for something to watch, I think I will start that. Happy Valentine's Day!

Deb A said...

Love that last shot of your dog running in the snow covered woods! Love your Valentines runner. Hope you had a good weekend.

Kim said...

Such a pretty teapot the polka dot plant is growing from. Love too, those scrappy hearts...so fabulous. Love the photo of Ned running in the snow.

CathieJ said...

This was such an interesting post. I like that you used an teapot as a planter. I have one whose lid recently broke. You have given me an idea. I love your table runner. I haven't read that book or watched the show. I like Christine Baranski also. Have a good week.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What joyful hearts you created! Your snow photo is precious.