Tuesday 1 February 2022

Shopping A Bargain, Project Roundup, OMG, New Scrappy Patterns

I must mention how much I appreciated your marvelous comments and emails on the the Sliding Post. I heard from so many folks all over the world who shared their sledding memories, some so special with tales of brothers or sisters or the whole family hitting a town's local sliding hill.  It made me so happy (and sometimes gave me a tear) to read these wonderful little vignettes of childhood times well spent in fresh air and safe fun. Thank you all!

I know where the hills are definitely covered in snow and that is the whole Eastern Seabord.  A huge Nor'easter blew all the way up the east coast and even reached into the Maritime provinces in Canada. Our little deep freeze has lessened and we too have a forecast of snow for midweek which is what happens here when it "warms" up. 

I cannot say how badly I want to start a new scrappy project!  Halo is on my mind probably because I bought the templates for it. I'm also thinking of  Glitter, which I have the book it is in.  Both are Jen Kingwell patterns and beckoning to me with not just a finger but the whole arm!
 I've been gathering a few modern fabrics for these as I would like to be somewhat current and in line with how Jen uses colours and prints in her work. 

I love Sentimental Stitches. I've purchased a 2022 program from Gay called Little Blocks 4.5; they are foundation paper pieced blocks. So far I'm downloading the patterns.  Gay also has a cache of free patterns and BOM's well worth checking out, btw.

But all that lovely stuff aside, I'm holding fast and finishing two current projects. My OMG for January was to finish the QAYG Courthouse Steps which I very nearly did. I am binding it now and that is surprising me with how large it is. Taking absolute ages to finish a side! 

I settled on this for the binding, a tiny print black on white. Sort of neutral and goes well with the red.  The grey is my soiled ironing board cover.

 I'll have to carry on with this and make it my OMG for February at Elm Street Quilts too. I have one side left to finish. Handling it on the machine felt like I was mauling it to death but other than loosening the odd pucker and it taking so long, it is all going well. Now not show worthy or anything like that, but passable. LOL

A little shopping...

Before I forget and while this is on an excellent sale.,,  I'd ordered one for myself when it was almost half price and I liked it so much I ordered two for the daughters.  Very light and also very warm. The Eddie Bauer Fireside Plush Pullover. Mine is in teal. (Not affiliated just sharing something I love).

I know Nanette at A Passionate Quilter From Texas mentioned this recently  but I've had a lot of questions about cross stitching so thought I'd share it as well. The fabulous Fat Quarter Shop is offering cross stitching lessons from Kimberly on their Floss Tube channel. 
And this wonderful free PDF design below. They call their program Cross Stitch University and you can even buy a t-shirt.
TO DO this week besides the above quilting project, is finish crocheting the border on Yuletide Blanket
 and finish the border on the Lilies hanging. I'm using a herringbone stitch which I'm loving the look of. More about that next time.

I have Robbie here for the day as his school has a PA Day so we will be outdoors roaming about very soon. 

Hope your Tuesday is going great!

Sharing this post with Texas Quilt GalLife in the ScrapatchWendy's Quilts and MoreThe Inquiring QuilterQuilting is More Fun Than Housework and Quilt Fabrication.







21 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will need to go back and read the comments the others sent about sledding. I always have such fun memories of those time in Wisconsin. I love the Halo pattern - I have a different one by her that I wonder in between all the other quilts when or if I will every make - it is called Midnight at the Oasis and I have her new book as well.

Libby in TN said...

I'm always struck by Jen Kingwell designs but my enthusiasm wanes soon after I get one underway.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Always such a pretty view out your window, Jocelyn! Starting a new project is always fun, and so is finishing one in progress. I love that binding fabric - those look like little hearts on it. I'm considering taking up cross-stitch again - I used to do it years ago, which is why I have lots of floss to use up! There are so many sweet designs out there.

Linda said...

So are you saying it "warmed up" enough to snow? I hope you get to start one of your Jen Kingwell projects. One wouldn't want her arm to get tired beckoning. ;) Love the plushie, I bet it's so cozy. Love the colors and the name of your Yuletide Blanket. Enjoy your time with Robbie!
Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday!

Karen's Korner said...

You have lots of lovely projects on the go. A friend of mine just finished Halo and it is gorgeous.

Brian's Home Blog said...

You sure do have a nice view. Our snow is gone and we're really glad about it.

Quilting Babcia said...

I've been following your progress on both the courthouse steps quilt and your Yuletide blanket (maybe it's the red that calls out so strongly) - both are going to be such lovely finishes and just in time for Valentines Day. And maybe the next snowstorm that's heading in our direction later in the week. I think it may be passing over you soon?

PaintedThread said...

Yay for binding! Ooh - I'd love to see what you'd make with Halo.

Kathy S. said...

Your courthouse steps is gorgeous. I love that red! The vase is so pretty. Have a great week.

Robin said...

Your Courthouse Steps quilt looks so cozy. The choice to use solid red is wonderful. It's so dynamic. I think I've got the templates for the pattern Glitter. I made only one block but I'd sure like to get back to it. You've made me curious - I'm going to have to go check.
Have a lovely snowy stich filled day.

grammajudyb said...

I had to carry over myOMG too! But I’m sure we will both be successful in February! Hope you had fun with Robbie! It’s very cold here today! -1 when I got up, now it’s “warmed up” to 0. And a skiff of snow! Too cold to be outdoors!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I didn't have much chance to go sledding beyond a short run down the 'barn dump' because there were no hills nearby. I always had to share the toboggan with two dogs that insisted that they needed a ride too.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Thanks for the shout out! And thx for the cold weather - it arrived from Canada! Of course not everyone is happy about it, but when retired it is just another day as long as we have water and electricity! You will love Kimberly’s videos. She has one each Wednesday. They are doing a Barn BOM now. I am THINKING about joining. I can easily just get hooked!

She is a fantastic cross stitcher. Fast too. Maybe. Have a wonderful day. Hugs

piecefulwendy said...

The colors in your Yuletide blanket are so pretty! Yay for binding the Courthouse Steps, but stitching those bindings feels like an age, doesn't it? Always enjoy reading your posts!

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
In Northern Indiana, we got this huge winter storm. Where I live the estimate on snow was 12 to 15 inches. Not sure how much we got, but looking out my back door, it looks like it could be 6 to 8 inches. But it's still snowing here. I know what you mean about starting a new project...I see lots of quilts I want to make instantly...lol Your Yuletide Blanket is looking good...love all those colors in your blanket. Have a great day...and stay warm.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I'm just catching up on blogs and loved your sliding post as well as this one! I also loved your wonder post. That yuletide blanket looks lovely!!! I love the fabric you chose for your court house quilt, can't wait to see it! It is always so much fun to see what you are up to! Have a wonderful day Jocelyn!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Congrats on finishing the courthouse steps. It is so gorgeous! Good luck choosing which project to start. It's fun to have so many great options, isn't it?

Janis said...

Love your red and scrappy Courthouse Steps quilt and your beautiful crochet project.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

The red background on your courthouse steps really brings out all the other colors! Great job! You'll have the binding finished in no time at all. :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

My vote is on Halo, Jocelyn!!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your courthouse steps quilt is gorgeous! And that black and white binding is perfect for it. Can't wait to see the finish! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.