Saturday 19 February 2022

Loves, 7 or 8 of Them Today

"Love each other or perish."

                           W. H.  Auden

Monday is a public holiday here and in many of the Canadian provinces, Family Day. It's a day for families to take a midwinter rest or get outside and enjoy winter fun together. This year there are lots of planned activities. We will be dog sitting as daughter and family take a little overnight trip. 

 Love these faces...mother Abbey with her offspring, Petey and Ned. These Labradors love the snow.

The family was here last Sunday for snowmobiling. They all had a great time.  Both the grandsons were here.


I love to see them having a good time in the fresh air and the snowmobiles beat down our walking trails which makes them easier to tramp. 
 Truthfully, I'm not getting in the sewing room much lately because it is cold back there. Even with a little heater, it stays cool especially as my sewing machine is by the big window. But one of the milder days, I sewed a few more of the foundation pieced trees which made me feel better. This time in some greens. 
Love this free pattern from the Fat Quarter Shop.  Scrappy Brick House is a quilt I'd like to make someday.  Always fun to dream.

However, I'd made these four houses below for the Sarah Fielke BOM, Grasshopper project back in 2018. Sarah's pattern was easy to follow and I remember enjoying stitching these very much. I was a little new to EPP back then.  That project is resting in its' own big tote. The houses aren't placed together like this in the overall design.
 The fabric line I used is Bloomsbury by Frannie and Jane. It came with this saying by Virginia Woolf...
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well if one has not dined well". I could not agree more!
I have all the blocks stitched, just need to finish the central appliqued panel.  At least it is back on my radar!
But up next right now TO DO this week and in line with my plan is to get a few more of the smaller projects completely finished. More hand stitching thoughts as I figure out how to quilt this one below, my Fans piece. I have it prepped and ready to start. I've done some research and will be trying out an idea today. Wish me luck!
We've been enjoying this series, Inventing Anna, on Netflix.  To think it is based on a true story. The audacity of this girl is mind blowing. 
A wonderful performance by Julia Garner of Ozark fame.
Love the internet...I feel lucky to live in a time when I get to experience all that it has to offer which is endless it seems.  And the pleasure of meeting up online with so many of you all over the world. That makes me very happy too.


28 comments :

Libby in TN said...

I saw a sweet barn quilt this week, wish I had gotten a photo. The sides of the barns were barn quilt blocks from a panel.

Floor said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog.
You are also working on fun projects yourself. The trees and houses are cute.
Great to go out with a snowmobile, seems a bit exciting to me.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I haven't seen that show. It is hard if you are sewing in a cold room. nice idea to have the snow machines pack down your walking trails will make it easier

Jackie said...

Ohhh, I am going to look up that series!! Sounds so interesting.

God bless.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I read about the movie. It's on my list to watch on Netflix. I love the actress. She was in The Americans and Grandma too. Well glad you like the snow. You know we moved to the High Desert to avoid it, lol.
xx, Carol

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm so glad your family can come and enjoy your beautiful, snowy outdoors! And the dogs can play together, too. That scrappy house block looks like fun - I'll have to check out that link. Your fan blocks are happy, too! Enjoy that quilting!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That photo of the pups is amazing and I'll bet the snowmobiling is lots of fun! Love the colorful quilts too.

PaintedThread said...

What a colorful family! (the labs - although it looks like both dogs and kids are all having fun n the snow.) You blocks look nice. Good luck quilting the fans!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I totally agree with you. I feel rich with all the internet friends and acquaintances I have.

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, were you participating in Sarah Fielke’s BOM in. 2018? I have looked at the patterns for her BOMs and they look very involved and difficult. If you were subscribing to one, please tell me your opinion of the patterns. You said they were easy to follow.

gladiquilts said...

Can’t wait to see what you do with the quilting of the fans - good luck! I’ve never made a house block, though it’s long been on my “to do” list. Yours are lovely and just might be the spark I need to try one!🙂

Michele McLaughlin said...

Wonderful likes! It was great that you got both grandsons visiting on the same day! Loved seeing Neddy's family! So cute! Your blocks are great! Love the house blocks and that fan quilt is spectacular! Sending hugs!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful to see the snowmobilers enjoying the season! I'm happy to stay inside and enjoy indoor sports like hand stitching :)
Enjoy your projects!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Cute dogs! I love this photo! Nice to have a great time with family, playing with the snow. It's beautiful but cold, and I'm sorry about your sewing room not being warm enough to sew. Beautiful fans, enjoy quilting them!
Thank you for sharing, and linking up ;)

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects you are working on, the house blocks and fans. Glad you got to spend time with your grandsons, looks like they are having a great time on the snowmobiles!

Kim said...

Oh, those Bloomsbury houses...so gorgeous! Your fans are lovely. How wonderful the grandkids can come to your property and have loads of fun in the snow. I must say Abbey's offspring are both adorable.

loulee said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your fans.
It can be hard to focus on sewing when you're cold.

Ivani said...

Sweet Labrador trio.
It seems the whole family had a lot of fun.
Love your scraps houses and the fan quilt top.
I agree with you I also feel rich and very thankfull to all the virtual friends from all over the world.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looks like the dogs and your family had a great family day weekend outside! Love those house blocks and the trees. I have a Sarah Fielke project underway…it stalled a while back and I need to dig it out again.

Jenny said...

How lovely to see those happy doggy faces. And the grandsons whizzing about on the snow a Hooters, that looks like fun. You must keep warm while stitching, otherwise it will make you feel miserable. Maybe concentrate on your hand stitching by the fire till the temps warm up a bit.

QuiltGranma said...

Inventing Anna is also on Netflix. We now have snow, it arrives quietly and sneakily with no sound on the roof. Supposed to be cold for a while so it may be staying. Appointments have "kept" me from sewing... nope, just not in the mood.

Linda said...

Love the doggy family Jocelyn! I really like Sarah's house pattern. Looking forward to seeing how you quilt your fans. Wow Julia Garner looks different without those blond curls she had on Ozark. Hope you have a warmer week!
Thank you for linking up with To Do Tuesday!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

How lovely to have your family over and I am jealous of the snow! Even your dogs look happy to be playing in it! I love house blocks, they are so cute... I may need to make some :) xx

Angie said...

Jocelyn - love that first family photo with the three dogs! I have never been on a snowmobile despite living in snow country. I am impressed that "littles" can manage them. Thanks for the tip on Inventing Anna - I have been so impressed with Julia Garner in Ozark.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I'll have to look into that show. In my mind there are just too many options! Hubs loves to watch tv in the eves and always wants to watch sooo many shows! I don't even know what's available usually because there's so much to watch I just give up. (Not into sifting thru them I guess!). I usually just let him pick but if I hear of a good referral, I try to check it out.
Those houses are cute!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh, those sweet little doggie faces - what's not to love?!! Thank you for the heads up on the Inventing Anna series - will have to check into that one.

Jenn Jilks said...

Those three pups are wonderful! Keep on doing your needlework. i am so impressed.