Saturday 14 May 2022

Seeing Eckhart Tolle, Toronto Trip, The Jackrabbit Beginning

After over three years, I finally went somewhere! My last August 70th birthday gift from daughter was a ticket to see this fellow in Toronto.  Hence the train trip I mentioned in the last post.

                        

Ekhart is a tiny man; we joked he looked like a happy gnome. We had wondered if, because he is such a low key fellow, our evening might wind up being a little boring. Anything but! 

 He talked for two hours straight and dealt with mostly two topics -how to deal with memories, loss and unhappiness, and also about God and beliefs. He taught us how to empty, as he put it, our minds. To just BE STILL( he discussed the Bible line, Be still and know that I am God), be present, etc.  I tried to take in every word. My emotions ran the gamut while listening...tears in my eyes pretty much throughout (sometimes a struggle not to cry) to smiling and feeling awe that he was striking so many chords with me. He has a unique ability to clarify complicated feelings and I was also impressed by all the philosophical references he quoted. There was a tremendous amount of love shown to him by the really diverse audience of about 2000 people. Us among them and so well deserved.

The suite at the hotel had marvelous views and amenities including a tiny sitting room and tiny kitchen.

 I could live there! And the vibrancy of any big city downtown, so different from my life, always pulls me in when I do get to go there. 

Street cars from the 21st floor

We spent a wonderful day at the Art Gallery of Ontario. I'll highlight two of the exhibitions we enjoyed. The Blue Series- 40 paintings from the tragic Matthew Wong. I'm sharing these because I feel they are interesting-wish we had had an interpreter with us to help us understand more about them,  and perhaps some art quilt inspiration for some of you as well. Here is a New York Times article about Matthew.


I was surprised when I realized I had taken a photo of this work of Matthew's I came across online a couple years ago. I like through the window views and houses. Early Moon
A highlight of our visit was seeing this very large beauty, Christi Belcourt's The Wisdom of the Universe. Christi is a Metis artist and used pointillism to mimic Metis beadwork. Up close it was a million tiny dots and looked extraordinary in the precision, colours and placement of each item. 

I invite you to watch this lovely animated video that explains all the features and special meanings of each item included in this fabulous work. 
Our favourite restaurant and bakery was an Italian one nearby; the bread, tiramisu and cannoli were delicious. We did a lot of walking so all good!
I made a little start on the Cottage Garden Samplings, The Jackrabbit, just so I could say I began it on my trip to mark the occasion. Wonderful memories!
 
The lilac flower was worked with a specialty cotton that came with the kit and I don't like the flat effect and the way it lay. I'm going to take it out. I think I am spoiled by DMC and the little sheen it has.

 About my photo I shared last post...A reader in the U.S. who has never commented before had to write to tell me I'm a dead ringer for her great aunt who lived to be a hundred. Imagine that!
Sharing this post with Kathy's Quilts.

21 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks like you had a fun trip - it is always fun to explore a city but I am always glad to get back home

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, what a wonderful trip to Ontario……I know you enjoyed every moment of it. Thank you for sharing! I am going to look up Elkhart Tolle because I have not heard of him. I frequently watch a Flosstube by Momma Loves You GB, and the stitcher is doing the whole series of animals that your jackrabbit is a part of. If you have not watched her I do think you’d enjoy her videos. As usual, I’ve loved reading this one, as I always look forward to your blog entries.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed a lovely outing to the city and took in so many things! Wonderful!

Brian's Home Blog said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time, that was such a nice gift.

dutchcomfort said...

Thank you for sharing your special adventures in Ontario! I love the beadwork!

Jenny said...

A trip to the big city of Toronto, staying at a hotel and interesting outings, seems like a fun trip to me. How far away from home is Toronto?

Jenn Jilks said...

That sounds like a perfect ADVENTURE!
We used to go to Toronto once a year or so. I grew up there.
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Matthew Wong was brilliant in detail! The first picture almost makes one feel that they are taking a walk on the winding road. So sad to read that he took his own life. Sad. I would imagine the trip was wonderful especially since it means more of a normal life. Listening to the man regarding all things “life’s happenings and experience” must have been extremely powerful. All in all, I have enjoyed your post and the pictures from Matthew Wong. Hugs 🤗

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful adventure you had!
Thank you for sharing the photos with us!
I love the idea of pairing a project with an experience to remember it!!!

AnnieO said...

Sounds like a great trip! Love the stitcheries and City views.

PaintedThread said...

Looks like a wonderful trip! that painting is really cool. I love a good cannoli! Yum. that jackrabbit is so cool. All good stuff. :-)

Jill said...

Thank you, Jocelyn, for sharing your Toronto trip. What a lovely few days spent there. I shall have to look up Mr. Toole. The bead work is amazing. Oh dear on removing other cotton floss. I understand as it bothers you. Been there and done that. Have a good week!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

It sounds like you had a great trip! Thank you for sharing all your pictures. I have relatives that live in Toronto and we used to visit when I was little. It's been a long time since I went there. I remember it was so pretty and so clean!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your hair looks lovely, you are such a beautiful woman. Sounds like a fun trip, and I can totally understand the big city excitement, but then it is always fun to leave too. The Cottage Garden Sampling is very cute. I just love that piece. So many great things to like from your past two posts.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip, Jocelyn! The talk, art at the museum, tasty meal at the restaurant = a great getaway. We have just spent several days in Boston, and it was a fun big city experience, too. That's such a pretty design you're working on - I'm sorry you don't like the look of the floss. But it's definitely important to love how your stitching is turning out!

Anonymous said...

I have not been to Toronto in years and I only live two hours away. Hope to go when it feels safer. Love the rabbit Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Ray and Jeanne said...

What a fun trip! I think I'd enjoy hearing Eckhart Tolle. I've never been to Toronto - we were supposed to visit on our 50th anniversary trip in 2020 but that was canceled due to pandemic. I'm so glad you enjoyed your daughter's gift. ~Jeanne

Deb A said...

What an adventure you had! Those treats look delicious and love the view from the 21st floor. Your new stitchery is adorable.

Jackie said...

What a wonderful trip you had. I have always enjoyed Eckhart Tolle's books. They always strike a chord.

God bless.

Carolien said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful trip with us. Loved it!

Dutch greetings, Carolien

Rose Marie said...

When I saw the city photo .... it reminded me of why hubby and I were so happy to leave T.O. We much prefer our life in the slow lane now. Hope your fall doesn't leave you too sore and you recover quickly.