Monday 30 May 2022

Second of Three Mistakes, Storm Damage, Tilda Plaid Quilt, EPP

I am still feeling so grateful for the power and internet; there are still Ontarians without it! Our reliance on being on the grid is almost scary.

A couple of the trees down on our property. 

Robbie was with us for a PA day and we did a walkabout and count. There are five blocking our trails. SIL will get the chain saw out and help us clear them. Perhaps more firewood for next winter too. 

This baby red squirrel came up to my kitchen window to peek inside. Robbie said "he's not only cute, he's ridiculously cute". 

Sorry, bad photo of the squirrel but you can see how marvelously green our world has become.  Yah for May!

Jenny at Romany Quilting sent me a comment and mentioned she was making soup slow cooking bones in her crock pot. That was funny because I'd had my crock pot on during that night making chicken bone broth for soup for us. I figured that with the time difference, though continents apart, we were using our slow cookers to make soup at the same time! 
Number Two of three mistakes I made recently...

I had a major hiccup with the Tilda Plaid quilt and had to take apart seven rows I had sewn. 😞That was five afternoons at the machine...it takes me a while to choose the fabrics too so I'm rather slow at it.

 At first I thought I'd let my mistake go but then realized I couldn't live with it. Especially for a gift. The mistake...two light rectangles between one brighter printed one is the pattern. I had thought it was three lights and really, the three together didn't look awful. But it's left me wondering where my eyes were!
Here is the resewn part. This is being pieced in an interesting manner...starting from a corner. Note...the pinks, blues and greens are all different shades though do not look like it in this photo. 
To do this week...keep stitching this and try to stick to the pattern! I'm going to link this post with Linda's To Do Tuesday Party to make me stay on track. In fact I think I will make this my OMG for June at Elm Street Quilts to at least get it to the flimsy point.
Mistake #3 next time...more unsewing, drat!

Meanwhile, I subscribe to this lovely site on YouTube, Emma Jones Vintage Sewing Box.  I'll share her latest video where she is stitching hexagons and takes us from the drawing to finished appliqued bluebell for a center block. She has a soothing voice and this is a sweet project I would use for a table topper. Pretty prints and interesting to see her use the whip stitch to stitch the pieces together. I use a ladder stitch. Totally addictive!

I feel like I should say something about the awful news from Uvalde, Texas. I love America too as I've mentioned many times before here on the blog. A little bit selfish as there is not a single doubt that Canada needs and relies on a peaceful and successful United States to keep sharing that very long border with us. But that bit aside, you are our friends and it grieves me to read how hurt you are about these horrific shootings. One person in any country killed by gun violence is one too many. This fear should not exist for innocent people anywhere. We all have enough on our plates dealing with war news, weather, illnesses, viruses, aging, etc. and goodness knows whatever next will be coming down the tube. Oh how I wish there was a simple answer to this seemingly complex situation for not only my American friends but for all countries where gun violence is on the rise. 

Meanwhile, linking this post with Small Quilts and Doll QuiltsLife in the ScrapatchCreations...Quilts, Art, WhateverMy Quilt InfatuationQuilting is More Fun Than Housework and Love Laugh Quilt

22 comments :

AnnieO said...

Such a lot of green to enjoy, despite the loss of the trees. Love the baby squirrel pic. The quilting projects look great. It is tedious indeed to have to redo what you've already done, but a glaring mistake to the maker is untenable! Glad you were able to fix it. Thanks for the well wishes to America. The continued tragedies related to guns is heart wrenching and not something that will seem to end.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

gun violence gets worse all the time - I'm glad I'm not in the cities as I hear of a murder or more every day only 80 miles from us - but then I will hear of the ones that happen in small towns too - it is all around us.
Sorry you have trees to clear up - glad you have a son in law that can help clear your trails and yes either leave them rot or use as firewood!

Nancy J said...

a SIL with his chainsaw is a gem, a true wonderful help when trees fall with the storms,. I did a slow pot casserole the other day, threw everything in that had been in the freezer, from lamb shanks to chops, beef schnitzel and sausages. Beautiful, soft, fell off the bone, the sausages were a failure, so they and the extra, after we had 3 meals, went to a friend and her doggies.They loved the sausages!! Your soft colours with 2 pales between is gentle and warming.

Deb A said...

Oh no on the unpicking. Those sewing mistakes are such a pain but I think we all make them and have to find that seam ripper. Wow - those are big trees that came down with the storm. So glad family is near to help clear the trails for you. Yes, it is crazy how attached to the electricity and internet we all have become. Hope you continue to heal and have a wonderful week.

Jenny said...

Hi Jocelyn, thanks for the mention on your blog about us sharing soup making adventures. My chicken veggie soup was delicious, as I'm sure yours was too. The weather has turned cold and wintery here, great soup weather, while yours must be warming up. Love that cheeky squirrel face peeking in your window, saying hello!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Reverse stitching is never fun but on the other hand we have to be happy with what we're creating so sometimes it's a necessary evil.
Interesting to see the bluebell design - a little different setting than any I've seen.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The green explosion! I agree the squirrel is too darn cute. Love your Tilda quilt. Well downed trees hopefully means wood for the winter. I agree I think it is funny the things that link us some days.

Jackie said...

It looks as if the squirrel wants to come in and play. Such a cutie. I had one sit on my shoulder once looking for the treats that Harvey was feeding it.

Getting green here as well, but without the downed trees. You should get some lovely firewood from them.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Yes, we all rely on our modern conveniences don't we? That peeking squirrel is so cute!

Libby in TN said...

I wish I knew the answer to gun violence, but, alas ... Lots going on in your world. Stay calm and stitch on!

Jenn Jilks said...

I haven't made soup in eons!
So sorry about your damage. It is great you have kids to help!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Thanks Jocelyn. I appreciate you taking about Uvalde. Love your Tilda quilt--So Pretty! That squirrel is sure funny!!! Have a wonderful day!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That must have been some storm you had, those are big trees that came down. I love making broth from chicken or turkey bones - it always tastes the best. I have soup in my crockpot today - a good way to use up some leftovers from the fridge. I hope you're happy with your progress on the Tilda quilt, in spite of the unpicking. It's lovely fabric and a pretty design! Thank you for your good thoughts about our country's issues with gun violence. It is both horrifying and frustrating that it keeps happening and nothing is done.

PaintedThread said...

Wow, that storm packed a wallop! Silly little squirrel. I like your quilt so far.

Rosa said...

So green!! I love it. I'm also in awe of how much you get done even with some unsewing thrown in there occasionally. I mean, how--?
I read recently that more American school children have died in the last two years as a result of gun violence than police officers or soldiers over the same period. Make no mistake, Republican politicians in the pocket of the NRA block any gun reform and republican voters need to own their complicity in this mess.

gladiquilts said...

Yikes - it’s good no trees came down on your house! I hate spending any time un-doing and using my seam ripper and, like you, have to study whether I can live with any mistakes before I go that route. I’m sure you made the right choice for a gift. One thing we should clearly do re the gun problem is ban assault weapons - no reason on earth ordinary folks should have those and they do so much damage in such a short time 🙁.

grammajudyb said...

Such pretty green in your world. Awful destruction of the trees. A baby squirrel, oh my! We call it "unsewing" around here. Not fun, but sometimes you just can't let it go! Have a good week.

piecefulwendy said...

All that green is just so soothing to see, isn't it? I'm sorry to see those lovely mature trees down. Do be careful clearing them. That little squirrel peeking in is too cute! I have gotten distracted with patterns, too, and wonder where my mind was. Sometimes things just don't flow right! I agree with your sentiments on gun violence; the loss of those young children is just heartbreaking.

Angela said...

The quilt is looking gorgeous! Sorry for the loss of your trees. Your property looks amazing though!

LA Paylor said...

I am beside myself with our gun issues... okay to own killing weapons without limits but not okay for a woman to control her reproduction/body. I mean it's scary to me daily around here.
on to the positive... is that the dericho that damaged trees? your lab has grown! your quilt is clever and that baby squirrel... I love it... it's fresh and new and trusting. We have a bird back to sleep on our porch for the third year now. connections...

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

That squirrel is too cute! Sorry about the mistakes, and all that backtracking. My mode of operation when it comes to mistakes is just to put my head down, rip, fix and then put it behind me before I allow myself to get mentally bogged down with it. I know exactly what I can live with and what I can't live with so there's just no sense in fighting it! LOL

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

So sorry to see the trees down. Drought down here in S. Texas finally had to remove the trees that COULD just snap at anytime. Jack the Ripper is in your world this month! No fun! We have squirrels that love to get in the bird feed. I need to do a fun post on how we are handing that! They are funny to watch.

On Uvalde Texas which is 110 miles from us. They have serious problems. This was a senseless tragedy. It was caused by people not reporting the weird behavior of the person, the Keystone Cops that did not want to rush in and save the children, it tells me that there are problems from the Mayor on down. Who knows if we will ever get the true story. Started with someone opening the back door and keeping it open - did not check to make sure it locked when the idiot started shooting at the building. Then the 2 doors were left open in the classrooms. I am finally getting over the shock of this tragedy. But am very very upset that people are trying to not take responsibility for human error. Guns do not go off by themselves. It takes a depraved person to do what is happening in the USA. We need God back in our schools and moral values back in our lives!

Thank you for caring Jocelyn. Have a wonderful day - I am very late in posting. Trying to get back to ‘normal’ as I stay home and away from the crazy world. Hugs