Thursday 2 June 2022

Mistake #3, Lilacs in Bloom, Tiramisu, Floral Motif Sampler

 So happy to be writing a Thursday things we like post.  Here is something I adore...Ned is now about 20 in dog years, fully grown, but he still tries to get in my lap. He will balance himself in the strangest poses just to stay for a little bit and get a good rub. 

Love the flowers that are blooming just now here in my corner of the world. This is a lilac bouquet I had at the farm. Though in bloom, my lone lilac tree here does not produce such fine flowers as the three at the farm did.
I like black and white clothes. When I saw this checkered blouse at Walmart, I knew I would buy it.  Goes great with black capris and is a very light woven fabric. I bought it in Large because I don't know if it will shrink a little in the washer but also in the summertime I prefer loose clothes. With its capped sleeves, it will work well under a sweater later in the year too. At this link they call it a camp shirt.

When we returned from Toronto where we had so enjoyed the dessert, tiramisu, Daughter tried her hand at making it.  We talked about how expensive mascarpone cheese has become...crazy expensive so this dessert was special in more ways than one. Worth it though as it was delicious.


Read this book lately and enjoyed it; from Ian McEwan. You may remember his novel, Atonement, was made into an Oscar-winning film starring Keira Knightley and James McAvoy. I was enthralled with the completely human like robot knowing such creatures are definitely going to be a part of life in coming decades.

During the power outage I made great headway on my newest 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, The Country Diary of An Edwardian Lady's Summer.  From Cobble Hill via Amazon.

Mistake #3, another stitchy one...this time involving my Floral Motif Sampler. Here is where I am today with it...look at the left hand border.
When I got down to stitching that bottom corner motif, I realized my border as it was would not accommodate it. Just three stitches too tight. What to do? I could take out the flower which was finished when I realized my error to shift it over to the right or undo the border which was almost down to that small boxy flower by the bird.  I opted to undo the border and restitch it wider.  I still don't know how I miscalculated like that. Sigh. 
But anyway, done now and I will definitely try to pay closer attention to small details like this next time. 
Hope your week has had lovely likeable things in it. 
   


18 comments :

Linda said...

Your daughter is amazing. What a clever way to serve tiramisu. Love to eat it but never tried to make it. I feel for you taking out the border stitches. I had to do that with a Christmas sampler by Lori Holt a couple years ago. Fun times! :D

piecefulwendy said...

Your lilac bouquet is so pretty, and I'm sure you'll get quite a bit of wear out of that camp shirt! Your tiramisu dessert looks so good! I'm glad you caught the oops in your cross stitch early so you didn't have to undo too much. It's a beautiful piece!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love lilacs but can not grow them here our winters do not get cold enough long enough. Occasionally you will see them bloom here and there but only after an exceptionally cold winter. That cross stitch is a beauty

Carol in Texas said...

It is SO easy to get incorrect in count in cross stitch! I’ve done it again and again. But I love this new trend in that needlework. I am spellbound by the flosstubers showing their finished pieces and their WIPs. Yesterday I spent most of an hour enjoying Vonna’s latest video and get so inspired by her future plans and her finished pieces. What a competent lady she is! Sadly I am a slow stitcher as well as a slow reader, so I am creeping along on my old pattern of Mrs. Santa by the Cross Eyed Cricket. But I love it!

Brian's Home Blog said...

I didn't realize sweet Ned is 20, good for you sweet guy. The tiramisu looks good, it's a favorite dessert here.

Jenny said...

Tiramisu, lovely. I had some last week served as a lovely layered cake, but the first time I tried it was as a dessert in a dish, probably the correct way, I imagine.
Your Neddy is so gorgeous, he looks a very happy dog cuddled up to you.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love this season of blooming things! We don't have any lilacs in our yard anymore, but they've been so pretty around the neighborhood. That's a great shirt find, too. Yum on the tiramisu! I think your cross-stitch project is amazing - glad you figured out the counting issue!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your sampler is amazing. I'm so glad you fixed it. I love tiramisu but I rarely eat it. It's addicting! The lilacs are gorgeous. I love the shirt you found. You can use it in so many ways. Neddy is such a good boy. You can see how much he loves you!

PaintedThread said...

Those flowers are lovely. Your daughter is amazing! I'm not much for tiramisu, but it looks great! The cross stitch is beautiful - bummer about the border!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I like your lilacs. Someone else showed their lilacs and they were much different than my old fashioned ones. Cute shirt. Oh the desserts look yummy. LOL Ned wants to be a lap dog. Love your Cross stitch. Yep I have done that before. I tend to still undo it, or I have had some so bad, I have throw the piece away even though it is almost done.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Lots of flowers in your post today. The new cross stitch border looks good! Love the smell of the lilacs when I walk by them .

Tineke said...

Het blijft leuk om je blog te volgen. In april was ik ook nog in Toronto, Ontario en even in Michigan.
Liefs van Tineke

Jenn Jilks said...

Our lilacs are done. So sad!
I love your Ned. Such a yummy colour!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Labs love to be in our laps! The food looks so good! Beautiful flowers and I like your shirt. I always buy a size larger now. I used to hang my clothes and dry them, but buying that extra size allows me to wash and dry and if they shrink it will fit. I also like loose fitting clothes. Your puzzle looks like fun time. Good for the brain. On the Cross Stitch - it doesn’t take much to get off. I have finally started on my latest CS project - took me long enough to figure out how to get things going, but on a roll now! And I am realizing I can change the pattern just like I do in quilting. Have a great week-end. We are in for the 100 + weather for the next week - no rain and none in site! UGH! Hugs.

Grams Jean said...

The tiramisu is served on a BEAUTIFUL plate! I love transerware! As for being a "camp shirt" that does not fit my defination... which is button front with collar, but NOT that kind of sleeve. It would have sleeves that cover my aging biceps! I keep looking for these in 100% cotton, but no one of the clothes purchasers any place I look has stocked them.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So sorry for the need to reverse stitch on the border but these things happen. I can't get over how quickly you're stitching this one because it doesn't seem all that long ago that you were just starting it.
That puzzle can't be an easy one but it will be stunning once it's done. I had one of the Country Diary books at one time and I don't know what has become of it. Suspect I likely loaned it and then it never returned.

K Reeves said...

The puzzle is lovely, and the stitchers is really coming along. I hate it when I miscount a border, but yours looks great. Neddy has grown up so much! Bandit has now moved into a slightly more mature phase, no longer going 250 mph every waking moment, which is a great relief!

Karrin Hurd said...

Your stitching is beautiful. Sorry you had to undo. That tiramisu looks yummy. I like my shirts loose too in the summer. I'll have to have a look at Walmart. Happy stitching!