Tuesday 21 June 2022

Tornado Warnings, Eye Candy for Dogs, Dresden Blades, Woolly Purchase

We had another tornado warning last week!

 The radar showed we were directly in its' path which was scary for a few hours. Unlike before, warnings were issued in a timely fashion so folks had time to pick their kids up at school and daughter and Robbie came right to our house. The idea was that our house is very solid with a good basement underground. It was an uneasy feeling watching the wind start to whip up. But at the last minute the storm path divided right around us, part moving south and part going north, remarkable to see on the radar. We were of course very thankful and sad to hear of the destruction it caused to the north of us. However, the wind was strong enough to bring down more trees on our land...ones that had been weakened in the first storm.

 I really hope this is not going to become a thing living here. Tornadoes are so unpredictable and scary. It is nothing like the cold of our winters where you can just bundle up and go on about your business. I don't know what else to compare it to.

This week we are looking after Petey for a few days and Ned is deliriously happy to have him here. Here they are looking at one of the three baby ground hogs that appeared out of the blue on the weekend! Such cute animals but I'm a little worried about having that many of them in our garden. The dogs sat silent and enraptured as the little creature went about its business blissfully unaware of two pairs of eyes following him.

Munching on leaves.

I've worked out the size of the Dresden blades I want for the Wheel Within a Wheel block. I tried two sizes before settling on this one which fits a 9 inch square. These fabrics are wonderful quality to work with. 

 This will be partly machine stitched and partly applique.  The "wheel" bits in opposite corners will be appliqued. Such bright and fun colours to work with, so different from the Tilda soft and muted shades.  I'm eager to get this one further along and will work on it in between getting Plaid Tilda finished which will happen this week, as a flimsy that is, unquilted. 

I may have mentioned I've had a request for an afghan, one in blues. To that end, I put in an order to Wool Warehouse where they have wonderful pricing on Stylecraft Special Dk yarn in over 100 shades to choose from.  My package arrived so quickly and I really like these colours.  I added some steel blues, sage and bluey greens to the group, colours I know this person also likes.

I get tired of grocery shopping which I really shouldn't complain about but I kind of do. All the while I am grateful to have the appetite for food and the funds to support that appetite of course. But keeping us fed is on the TO Do list this week with a big shop necessary. I have made a more detailed list than usual to incorporate a few more of the anti inflammatory type foods. I gave up on avocados because of the environmental issues the growing of them cause. I wonder is that still an issue? Because I would dearly love to add them back into my diet.  It seems tomatoes are a bit of a no no, sadly for me as I love them. So I'm going to be testing those to see how I fare with them.  Back to sourdough bread which I know is better for this stomach of mine, the little I do eat of bread though I love that too. Thank you all for the comments and emails regarding food and inflammation; obviously a lot of folks are dealing with degrees of this issue.

Before this big shop, I have to clean out the fridge. I do hang onto bits and pieces. Having the compost bin is a great enabler in that regard. 

But in brighter news,  my heart always gives a little leap when this shows up in my email. 123stitch.com Newsletter This is June's so I'll be checking that out later. Does that happen to you??? You get a little lift when you see something stitchy that you just know will be good. 

Happy to share this post with Texas Quilt Gal and Creations- Quilts, Art, Whatever.

  





19 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't pay all that much attention to what is anti-inflammatory or whatever - if something upsets my stomach I don't eat it - but every thing else I keep - I don't care if it is bad for the environment or not I'm not sure what is bad about avocados but I do not like them so don't eat them.
Sorry you are having bad storms - I hate to say you get used to it but you do-glad you have a basement!!
Love all your stitching and the yarn

Jenny said...

Tornados, we can certainly do without them. You may remember we had a small one in our home town several weeks ago, then a couple more further down in another town. Not a thing we used to get here in New Zealand so we dont want this to become a regular weather event. Homes here do not have basements.
Lovely colours you have chosen for the aphgan you are making on request.its always nice to be asked to make something special for a special person, isn't it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm sorry to hear about the tornado warnings, Jocelyn. Those are scary. We don't get them often here, but they do happen. The dogs staring at the groundhog are precious. It looks like they were very well-behaved! Pretty fabrics for your Wheel within a Wheel block, and I love the blues of your yarn, too. Have fun with those projects this week!

Jackie said...

So glad that the storm moved around you. We had a tornado watch here while we were gone to our sons. I am so glad that it did not happen.

Love that yarn. Gorgeous.

God bless.

Nancy J said...

The groundhog, he is quite pretty, nothing like what I had imagined. And a dog to have for company, and a safe underground place to shelter, all good things for the day. Groceries, we did ours yesterday, I was shattered by the time we were home again, then a hair cut.The difference even half an inch makes is amazing.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's mad dealing with groundhogs!
Your garden looks lovely!
Happy crafting!
(ツ) from Cottage Country , ON, Canada!

grammajudyb said...

The groundhog photo is wonderful! They must eat incessantly, I hope no damage to your beautiful garden! What a fabulous view out your windows! I had to go back a few posts( I’ve been absent) to see Plaid Tilda! Wow! It so pretty!

Deb A said...

Oh no, tornados are not a fun thing to live with. Thankful you have a basement....we don't have those in Florida unfortunately. The groundhog is really making himself at home! I'm impressed the dogs are not barking at him! Those colors or yarn are beautiful. Hope you have a peaceful week.

Carol in Texas said...

Yes! I do get excited about an email from 123stitch…..also Colorado Crossstitcher….do you get her emails. Since I have returned to crossstitching it has taken over my interest. Quilting for the time being has been put on the shelf. I just finished going through the What’s New section of Sheri’s newsletter…..she’s the Colorado Crossstitcher. I saw one or two patterns I am dying to order, but I already have two in the waiting line while I SLOWLYl stitch on Mrs Claus, an old pattern from The Cricket Collection. I watch flosstubers and am fascinated at all they stitch and their WIPs. It’s crazy….but fun!

P.S. I am fascinated that Canada experiences tornadoes. Here in central Texas they are a frequent problem, especially during the spring and fall.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - ground hogs there are ground squirrels here. Hubby and I were eating dinner on the deck last night, and watching four newborns playing with each other. Cute, but not when they eat my plants! Unfortunately, avocados are just one example of the many products that are produced "unnaturally". Tough decisions ahead with all the climate impacts we are seeing. I have a "love-hate" relationship with stitchy things - I already have too many projects to chase after more "shiny" objects!

Linda said...

Sounds like you had some significant weather, and a "Splitting Supercell"! Glad the funnel producing part did not affect you. Those doggy heads are so sweet. I say add those avocados back into your diet! They are so good for you and delicious. Pretty yarns and fabrics!
Thank you for sharing with us at To Do Tuesday!

Angela said...

Such well-behaved dogs! My Banksy would have been going crazy!

Sherrie said...

Hi Jocelyn,
We had some ground hog babies a couple years ago. The neighbor hood
dogs killed them all. Mamma ground hog moved and haven't seen any
since then. I really like the colors in your wheel within a wheel
project. So pretty! Your yarn is so beautiful, it will be a beautiful
afghan when finished. I'm making one now with Granny Squares. Have
a great day!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Sorry about the bad storms and glad you were spared. I do not like going tot the store and only try to go 2 times a month.
I am convinced that they are chemically producing all of our food now and those of us who are of European backgrounds have a more difficult time with all the preservatives. On Avocados, I used to be able to eat them - but not now. They are full of histamines. What surprises me is that I tolerate 5 eggs each morning - but they are easy to digest. Any foods that are acidic are no-no’s for me now. I guess the older we get the worse our little ‘hiccups’ get worse! If you can tolerate rice, I used to love rice cakes and the crackers that are made with rice, but that is a no-no now.

I agree, when I really get bummed I start looking to see if I there is something to make me feel good! But the problem is I have too much “feel good” fabric! LOL. LOL!

The Dresden is going to be pretty and bright and love the yarn!!!!

Take care and we are due some cooler weather next week! Hugs

Grams Jean said...

Hard to believe that tornadoes get all the way to Canada! Wow! Glad you are safe. The wild things outside sure cute, but can be so destructive. We have gophers here and have to choose carefully what we plant.

PaintedThread said...

I seem to be working my way through your posts backwards. Tornadoes! They're scary - grew up in a tornado area (I miss the thunderstorms, but not the tornadoes). Groundhog is cute!

Paulette said...

We had tornado warnings, two of them, last week one night. It got so dark and windy, but in the end, we were fine. I do head for the basement when we get warnings, but thankfully my sewing room is down there, so I have something to do while waiting it out. A few years ago I was standing at the kitchen window watching the wind whip up and the trees start to really rock and roll, and turned to go to the basement just as a huge pine tree fell over in the yard, missing the house by a few feet! That wasn't a tornado, but "straight-line winds," they determined. Took the fence down too. That is sure some gorgeous fabric you're making the Dresdens with!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Tornado warnings are really upsetting.. We've been having a few here as well. I love the fabric you chose for the wheel block! It's going to be awesome! I can't believe your dogs were so still watching the groundhog! Scout would be beside herself! Have a great weekend!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Great glamour shot of the woodchuck! I agree though, that they are destructive and maybe not to be encouraged.
Glad to hear the storm avoided you, at least the worst of it anyway.