Tuesday 7 June 2022

Bridal Wreath Spirea Bush, Haphazard Quilting, Panama Pyramids, Falling Off the Wagon-The Diet Wagon That Is

The weather is unsettled and moody...humidity, slivers of sun, lots of cloud, rain, thunder, lightening- that's all in one day! We've had two thunder and lightening storms since the big one. I admit I felt a little uneasy each time and was glad to be home and not driving somewhere when they occurred. And relieved when they faded away.

But the Bridal Wreath Spirea is thriving. This is summer #2 for this bush. I'm so pleased. It's also Painted Turtle heaven down at the pond. Photo from last year but ditto for now.  I've counted five large turtles and many small ones so far this summer.

I've been wanting to share this with you ever since my Toronto trip. During our day at the Art Gallery of Ontario, Beth and I sat enthralled at this beautiful exhibition, Lisa Reihana's  In Pursuit of Venus.  It is an actual moving diorama depicting various scenes of first encounters of  folks who are Indigenous with soldiers and settlers in Australia. Particularly poignant were scenarios involving women and children, I found. Actors, Indigenous and otherwise, played the real life scenes which changed as the diorama slowly moved along. 

You get a better idea from this short video. 

I have no idea how Lisa compiled this piece, so monumental in scope and number of people involved. Native plants, birds and animals are also included.  It occupied a whole theater to itself and there was an almost reverential air in the room from the viewers.  Watching history brought to life and unfolding before our eyes as it were. How creative!

Machine stitched these four Confetti quilt blocks before my trip last month and need to find time to sew some more.  Still working on the structure. I came across this old post about how to make a more structured block but yet scrap busting in design from My Poppet. Cintia corralled like colours together in a clever way.  I think I'll try that next. My Poppet is a great site to visit for craft, stitching, recipe ideas, etc. btw. 

I've been busy these first days of June EPP stitching more of the Panama Pyramids. This time I used dark blues to fit in with the RSC colours for June.  (As I write the word June, I can't believe it is here already with a week gone.) That's a yellow there I'm auditioning for the alternate blocks. Prepping these blocks in front of the t.v. and stitching them is not work at all. 
To Do this week...
Continue the weeding-let's just call this ongoing for the rest of the summer.
Machine stitch several more rows on Plaid Tilda which is half way there.
Do you really want to hear this one???? Find more worms for my compost bin!

And for a little smile today...available to buy at Hallies Collectibles on Etsy
I'm feeling a little more jiggly around the middle than usual. I'll blame it on the mosquitoes which are making every walk insufferable and I hate using the chemicals so I've not been getting in a second walk each day. Oh dear.  

17 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love that art gallery looks wonderful. It is hard to walk outside when humidity and mosquitoes set in. That Bridal Wreath looks gorgeous

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your bridal wreath spirea is beautiful, Jocelyn! How fun to see the turtles, too. Those scrappy confetti blocks are just so fun! I had to laugh at your diet sign - and feeling jiggly around the middle. Me, too! Fighting off the urge to bake some cookies this afternoon. 🤣

Jenny said...

Love the turtles! The video is a amazing, Lisa is a Maori New Zealand artist, and I think this work, touring around various countries shows people from the Pacific Islands and NZ.

Jenn Jilks said...

Ah, weeding! Yes.
There is a bugs on one of your turtles. Much fun!

Jackie said...

That spirea is gorgeous. And wow what an interesting exhibit.

Love the diet sign.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those flowers are so pretty and WOW, that video is sure something! Okay, let's have some cupcakes now!

Miaismine said...

Your nature photos are lovely! How fun are those confetti squares? I remember seeing your EPP triangles – they are really coming along and looking great! Love that sign – want to sent it to my truly wonderful PCP. You made me smile today – thank you!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Love your pyramids and confetti blocks and love the sign you posted! That gallery wall is really something! I couldn't stop watching it! Thank you for sharing it! The turtles are darling. Have a wonderful day and thanks for always inspiring us Jocelyn!

Anonymous said...

Try slathering your skin with Skin So Soft by Avon. We have found that this works fairly well. They do sell it in a pump bottle but I bought a large bottle and then a small pump bottle found in the travel section of a big box store. Nan

piecefulwendy said...

That is a great photo of the turtles! I'm glad your spirea is doing well, they are so pretty in full bloom. The diorama is amazing; it must have taken quite a bit of work to put it together. Your quilt projects are looking good, and I got quite the chuckle out of that sign. The mosquitoes are getting bad here, too. Like you, I hate putting all that junk on my skin.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving the idea of these scrappy confetti squares!

Nancy said...

There were a number of years during my childhood when my father had a wormbed, for fishing purposes. I remember going out at night after a good, soaking rain to catch them. We used a flashlight to shine it just above the ground but I keep hearing these days that the worms won't notice the light if the flashlight has a red cover over it.
The mosquitos are awful some years. I used to grow pennyroyal which, when rubbed on the skin, will keep the mosquitos away. Also, my daughter heard that lavender oil will prevent the mosquitos from biting. She tried a spray and said it worked. That's not something I've heard nor tried and maybe it was a fluke but it might be worth trying. I don't know about you but I think one can never go wrong with the scent of lavender.
Your pyramids are looking wonderful! And those turtles--too fun.

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - if I did diet, that's what I'd do, too! LOL

Angie said...

Jocelyn - your Bridal Wreath Spirea is lovely. Each year we have lived in the log house, early June has brought us a painted turtle wandering up from the lake. So far this year, it has not put in an appearance. I am with you on weeding be a full summer pursuit. No sooner do I make one circle around the house, than I need to start again!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am so not a fan of mosquitos!!
Your confetti blocks are so colorful!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We had a whole hedge of spireas at one of our houses and have always loved them.
And I'm with you in not wanting to use chemicals on my body to ward off critters - or to combat the sun. Perhaps I should count myself lucky that I seem to have an allergy to being out in the sun for too long so I generally don't have need of sunscreen.

Judy Hansen said...

I love your confetti quilt blocks. I shall have to try that. They are such happy looking blocks.