Thursday 16 June 2022

Thursdays' Three Free Patterns, Blooming Times, Lemon Cake, In My Genes

The view out my kitchen window now the rose bushes on either side of the walkway are in bloom.  They will rebloom till frost gets at them in late October.

That box is one we keep there for deliveries. We started doing that during the pandemic and found it worked well. I think the drivers probably like it too with not having to come up all our steps. 

Another cake from daughter...a lemon one that I really loved. She made the lemon curd and combined it with a mousse cream topping.  It was just the treat with a cup of tea. 

Early morning slow stitching while listening to this book. A Most Remarkable Creature by Jonathan Meiburg. I heard Jonathan on CBC radio which led me to his book. I'd never heard of the Caracaras which is considered the world's smartest bird of prey. Truly remarkable intelligence.
I've been feeling a little achier in my bones lately and have revisited the issue of lectins and inflammation. From my 23and Me results I know I carry the gene for late onset Celiac disease. In my case now, it would be termed very late onset I guess, :D. But I enjoy the research and then the challenge of applying that knowledge to my everyday habits. The internet is a marvelous thing because I could find so much information about lectins, etc. and foods to eat less of with just a few clicks. At my stage of life, I don't need to be told this stuff, but reminded. I know we have to be careful but I just love the internet. 

Speaking of which, there is so much wonderful creativity to stir our senses to be found all over the place there.  Just like these fine folks who are sharing their ideas with us. 

Thursday's Three Free

#1 I've mentioned the wonderful Allison before, the lady behind one of my favourite sites on the net, Campbel Soup Diary. Always inspiring and I just love how I learn something every time I visit her. Lately, Allison has been sharing her flawless applique using grunge fabrics. Those are fabrics I've never used, but the softness of the greens and pinks she is using is very appealing to me.  She also has a cache of Free patterns and Tutorials under her Blog heading that is well worth visiting. 


Link for that cute little mug rug is here...Free Mini Foliage Pattern.

#2 Another great site is Spoonflower

It is a place on the net with a lot going on! I did get a little sidetracked with the wonderful cache of Bird hangings/tea towels, the free sewing patterns and amazing fabrics. 

But I also found this post for a  QAL featuring 3 Beginner Friendly Quilt blocks to make under their Blog heading that I thought you might like. 

#3 Free today is this lovely pattern from talented Suzy at her blog,  Suzy Quilts.
Twisted Ribbons Quilt Pattern
Check out her other free patterns HERE and have a look round her site. Suzy shares a wonderful resource of tutorials and quilting help too. 

Thanks to all these generous, creative folks!

We have a high humidity alert for today which, as noted on my morning walk, the mosquitoes don't mind at all. 

21 comments :

Nana said...

This link is perfect, because I just got a jelly roll.

Nana

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

those are some nice patterns. We keep an empty table by the front door for deliveries - most of the time they use it sometimes we find a package barely tossed onto the deck! that does irritate me as that is basically leaving it lay in the driveway in the dirt.
That cake looks lovely!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful view out your window, Jocelyn, and looks like you're getting some sunny days now, too. Your daughter's lemon cake looks delicious! Fun to check out the interesting sites and free patterns you're finding. Thanks for sharing them!

CathieJ said...

Thanks for all of those links. The view out front is very pretty. That box idea is great. So sorry that you are experiencing achy bones. Love the cross-stitch.

Jackie said...

What a lovely view out your kitchen window.

Off to check out those free patterns.

God bless.

Brian's Home Blog said...

You sure have a beautiful view out your window. Yum, I bet I could eat most of that cake!

Out To Pasture said...

How lovely to have those roses blooming until freeze up, Jocelyn. Your daughter's cakes are always super gorgeous! Lucky you two for having a talented pastry chef in the family.

piecefulwendy said...

Your kitchen window view is lovely, and what a great idea having a delivery box! I'm going to look into that book, it sounds fascinating. Thanks for sharing the freebies, too! Hope you are handling the humidity okay - I'm sure the mosquitos are having a heyday!

Linda said...

What a lovely view you have from your kitchen window. I like the photo of your cross stitch bird next to the Caracaras. That lemon cake is right up my alley. My Mom would have loved it too. I appreciate the links - always another rabbit hole for me to go down!

Deb A said...

Nice patterns and that lemon cake looks delicious. Beautiful flowers out front of your house.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love those roses. Well done, you! Mine are such a mess.
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Susie H said...

I've never heard of that bird either. Thanks for the enlightenment. Man, that lemon cake looks scrumptious! Sorry to hear about your achiness. Let's hope that eases up this week!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

You such a beautiful view from your kitchen window. The lemon cake looks delicious! Thank you for the free patterns. I hope you feel better.

PaintedThread said...

Lemon curd is awesome - I haven't made any in ages. Those little leaves pattern is cute.

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love your posts Jocelyn! Love the three free patterns. I'm always looking for inspiration and ideas! That lemon cake looks sooooo yummy! Wishing you the happiest week!

Angela said...

Your front yard is gorgeous! That lemon cake looks tasty!

LA Paylor said...

I feel like I just stopped by for a visit. The cake was delicious and tea refreshing. I want to go visit the tiny leaf person now, because somewhere I have a lot of basted leaves to be used and I like the tiny french knots alongside them. The idea of a box for deliveries is good on many fronts... no doorbell ringing setting off the poodle is one. Scritches to the handsome ned...

Karrin Hurd said...

Thanks to the links to the 3 free patterns! The lemon cake looks delicious!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

I adore your view! I salivated over that lemon cake. Thanks for the heads up about the book. I've added it to my list. I hope my library will have it!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh goodness - that cake looks amazing. I can almost taste it (and wish I could!).
Hope your aches are better now - must also look into lectins to see if there would be any help there for my hands. I live in hope!
Thank you for the great links.

Paulette said...

I feel your pain on the foods and inflammation issue, Jocelyn. I've been gluten-free and dairy-free since about 2007, but still had issues. Giving up tomatoes and peppers recently has helped. I carry genes for gluten-intolerance too, but it didn't bother me until I was in my 40s and after having a pretty major infection that I had to take IV antibiotics for. Seems to have activated digestive issues in me after that. It does help to reduce inflammatory foods...sugar is another big one for me, but I am pretty weak when it comes to resisting it long term. Good luck in your self-care journey. That book sounds fascinating!