Tuesday 23 August 2022

Bird Behaviour, Crochet Granny Stripe, Karnak Wall Hanging Sewing, Watching Love Me

Our week is off to a good start here at the wooden house. Weather wise, it has turned humid again with rain and thunderstorms. But that hasn't stopped me from  sitting down by the pond with my camera early mornings- so far I have captured nothing. But using the quiet time, Ned with me, to have my inside voice repeat how fortunate I am and grateful too for my days here on this wonderful land. 

Closer to the house I did capture something a little unusual. I saw movement in the flower bed one day and it turned out to be a Mourning Dove. 
It has returned often to the bird feeder. 
And one morning it faced off with a red squirrel three times and the squirrel gave up and ran away. I've often witnessed these small feisty squirrels drive away the big black and grey squirrels so to let a bird scare it off was unusual. Maybe it just didn't feel like a fight that day. 
This was the bird's display.
I've only known Mourning Doves to be very passive so this also was a strange sight. 

We enjoyed this Australian mini series we found on Gem called Love Me. It was interesting to see an older couple featured along with the two younger ones all looking for love.
Linda, the Texas Quilt Gal, sent me happily chasing several squirrels last week. The first was when I saw her circular afghan idea and of course, I had to check that out. I immediately got out my yarn stash to see what I had on hand.  I have this one bag of Stylecraft Special DK in blues that was ordered when I got a request for an afghan in blues.  Which I fully intend to do. 
Here Petey is helping with the inspection.  He's totally agreeing that though this looks like a lot, I need more yarn, :D. His very expressive eyes are saying "clearly you don't have enough here Nana. Remember the long winter months are coming-perfect crocheting weather."

 What Petey didn't see was the rest of the stash....And the afghan I'd started with , mauves, greys and pinks. I've brought that one out to include in the t.v. viewing stitching rotation and hopefully move it along this week. Simple granny stripe.
I also followed Linda's lead to Janie Crow and her wonderful July newsletter explaining the amazing mental health benefits of crocheting. And I fell in love with her colour choices, flowery style and the gorgeous Mystical Lanterns!
Below is a video about something I've never thought about...washi tape. If you have the one with quilting lines drawn on it, you never have to measure and draw on fabric again! In this short video here Melanie at Southern Charms Quilts explains how it works. 
I need this item!
 In fact I could use it right now in the sewing room as I continue what Christine at Tessellate Textiles calls colour play and placement. I am pleased with the accuracy of the stitching so far...no points sawed off...but I'm doubtful I have the eye for fabric choice. I do hope to get this-whatever it will be- to the flimsy stage this week. Miss the sun for picture taking and sadly my sewing room is the darkest in the house even with my solar light. Have I mentioned this is Christine's Karnak Pattern and I wish I didn't have to try to duplicate the fabrics/colours from my own supply. 
That being said it's good to feel challenged and learn new things so I'm not complaining.  
Hope your week is splendid!
So happy to also share with My Corner of the WorldLife in the Scrapatch and Alycia Quilts







15 comments :

Out To Pasture said...

A bountiful and colourful stash for the upcoming winter, Jocelyn. I've noticed that mourning doves are aggressive (pecking order, I guess) with each other but seldom with other species. Thanks for that viewing tip on Gem. Just the thing for this rainy afternoon!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

LOL - I sent Linda a link to the mystical lanterns pattern and now you have fallen down the rabbit hole too. I have that pattern in the basket and will plan to start it soon I was watching a youtube video on a tutorial for it and will watch it again it looked very helpful. Janie Crow does such wonderful work.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Those dove photos are amazing, love that first one and Petey looks quite ready to assist!

Linda said...

Love the cocked head on the dove - lol! I've not seen doves be aggressive like that - fascinating. Well I gave up on that beautiful circular pattern when it rippled so badly. I researched and found that I must be doing something wrong. Anyway if you make it and have any tips, would you share them? I love that granny stripe you've done! You have beautiful yarns in your stash. Well Karen is the one sent me to Janet's beautiful website and I ended up purchasing Mystical Lanterns - love it!
Dear Jocelyn thank you for joining with us at To Do Tuesday! Sorry the linkup was late.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a pretty stash of blue yarn, Jocelyn! I'll enjoy seeing what you make with it. And the Karnak pattern is really neat! Your version is looking good. I love that photo of the dove! He looks very interested in you!

loulee said...

Love your crochet, such pretty colours. And your fabric choices look great, very pretty too.

Jenny said...

I've never seen that tape bore, seems like a great idea. Love Petey's eyes looking up at you!

Jenn Jilks said...

I like your attitude. We are so blessed here.
Beautiful work.

Vicki in MN said...

That dove seems to be asking 'What are you doing'?. We haven't seen doves lately but they always make an appearance each year. Love your quilt adventure. Thanks for the tip on Washi tape.

PaintedThread said...

That first photo of the mourning dove looks so inquisitive. LOL. I'm amazed it frightened off a red squirrel - those guys are tenacious! All that blue yarn is very pretty.

Jackie said...

What a great stash... Is our stash ever big enough? Do we ever manage to get through said stash?

Love the new quilt top you are working on.

God bless.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - "splendid" - I like that word. And yes, I am having a splendid week. The only thing that would make it better would be a nice steady rain to give the garden some moisture. Fascinating behavior from the dove. You have chosen lovely colors for your afghan!

grammajudyb said...

I’ve been lax about reading and commenting on blogs lately! I always enjoy your lovely outlook on life and your photos. I have some of the diagonal seam tape! I love it. I first purchased it from Cluck Cluck Sew, but last week saw it on Amazon while placing an order for small madness to “make some of my own” needle minders! Don’t you love them? I’ve stitched for many years and they are new to me too! A friend makes some of hers so I thought I’d give it a go! Keep you posted!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Petey is a good friend - to just hang out and not say anything about the *already starts* haha!! those blues sure are pretty!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Of course I'm in like with those wonderful blues (not that it's my favourite colour or anything of the sort!). I'm with Petey in thinking no amount of yarn is enough.