Tuesday 9 August 2022

Het Klossie Challenge, Panama Pyramids, Labrador Love, Flight of Fancy Fabrics

 Even in what I think is the fulsome of summer, a little nagging thing has happened. Hubby pointed out that the light is fading a tiny tab bit earlier each day. As much as the continual heat waves and humidity are unwanted, the thought of the summer fading is not a good one.  

So just have to enjoy the growth while we can. Below is a neglected part of the garden behind the house. With so much in the front areas to maintain, this bit gets left out often.  The blue flowering bush hides the ac unit and I'm not sure what that undergrowth is. It is quickly taking over this area this summer.

August days have brought bright sunshine, heat wave warnings...35 C here on Saturday.  Heavy downpours of rain late evening the last two days have kept everything hydrated and blooming well despite the scorching heat. 
Many hummingbirds around this summer...not the easiest bird to photograph because they tend to flit about like the butterflies. 

The three Labradors are together again! Tail wag blur there. You can guess what Tony is saying. 
Time to share more of the EPP worked scrappy Panama Pyramids. A variety of colours this time. I will have to dig out my scant orange fabric if I am to join the August RSC party.

 I really should press these a little before showing.                              And I've been auditioning fabrics for the Flight of Fancy birds. Love these warm reds with a little cream too. Have to make a decision and begin the machine stitching of the 4 patch blocks this week.  I have yet to see a Magpie here but was delighted to watch many of them while visiting Alberta a couple of times.


Speaking of creams, the folks at  Het Klossie have started another challenge, this one called Kniertje Challenge using light, meduim and dark blues with ecrus.  You can find the free pattern downloads at that link. 

I am ever so tempted.  I really enjoyed the project I made with one of their earlier challenges. That one with reds and white. 
This week I will be keeping the three dogs busy and happy.  No doubt the extra walks will do me good too.  Take care all!
I'm linking this post with Linda's Tuesday's To Do Party post where she shares her own Peanut Butter Cookie recipe and also that a Christmas Squirrel got into her sewing room!



22 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't envy you 3 big dogs in the house - I would be watching so I didn't trip over them for sure - but they sure look like nice dogs. Your stitching all is so pretty and I love the big bush you show hiding the A/C unit. I think a lot more people in Canada must have A/C compared to what I hear in other countries where everyone is sweltering in summer so much. Where was it in Canada that you live - I know it is in the East but I don't remember off hand where

Julierose said...

I love the Panama Pyramids--so pretty, Three baby doggies--wow!! (or in their case: bow-wows!!! hahaha) Lots of work, but they look like lovely pets...;)))

We are just sweltering here --our "feels like" temp right now is 108--we've never seen that before!! We have hay for lawns now and I see my neighbor's hydrangeas are all dried up on their stems already--no rain for most of July and none in sight yet...thank heavens for AC Take care and stay cool hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've noticed that, too, about losing the light a bit more as August goes on. We've also been hot here, and I prefer the cooler weather, but definitely don't want to wish the summer away! Reds and creams are so pretty together. I'll enjoy seeing what you choose for your blocks to go with the bird embroideries. Looks like the dogs were hoping for a little treat!

Jenny said...

Your Ned will enjoy having his doggie friends staying over for a holiday. They are all litter mares, aren't they?

We had frost here this morning, good thing I've got a pair of my nice warm woolly socks on to keep my feet warm!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Enjoy your time with the dogs! I'm sure they're having a blast playing with one another.
I, too, have noticed the shortening of the days and it's not a welcome thing. Summer is way too short!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Hummingbirds are so darn cute. Speaking of cute, how cool to see the Pup Trio. Your Panama Pyramids are sure pretty.

Jackie said...

I was up a bit early today and happened to glance out the window while getting my coffee. Many of the solar lights were still on!!! Makes me wonder if it is getting light later as well.

The pyramids are coming along nicely.

God bless.

Jennifer said...

Your4 days are getting a little shorter, while ours are starting earlier....I have noticed it getting lighter earlier biw than a couple of weeks ago. Your hummingbird is so pretty, we were lucky enough to see them while visiting friends in B.C. a few years ago.

Sharon - IN said...

Capturing the photo of the hummingbird, amazing! We have a few visiting my husband's native flowers. But no photos. Panama Pyramids are all lovely as are your other projects.

viridian said...

Your Panama Pyramids pattern is also known to mathematicians by another name:
Sierpinski's triangle or gasket.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierpi%C5%84ski_triangle

A great pattern and good work!

MissPat said...

I haven't seen many hummingbirds this summer and only a very few Monarchs. But the crows have been singing me a wake-up call every morning! Our heat wave broke, but with very little rain, so everything is wilting and turning brown again. Your Panama Pyramid block parts are very tiny.
Pat

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

great progress on your projects! I'm a little sad to see the sun setting earlier and earlier each day!

Robin said...

I love the colors you have chosen for your Panama Pyramids blocks. It's just so pleasing all together. The navy really gives great contrast.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

I've been kind of the opposite with the days getting shorter--for me it means fall and cooler days are on the way and I can't wait! I'd kill for some of that rain, too. I think we're about to get one very ugly fall--dead, no color--unless we get rain right away! LOVE the red/white(ivory) blocks! (Goose tracks?)

Andree said...

I'm glad I got to visit. I just so love Labs. Nothing in life is sweeter or more giving. Or so into eating! But my Lucy is the best thing, hands down, that ever happened to me.

Your quilts! Wow. The detail and the patience and time. It's remarkable. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Sandee said...

I got stuck on the precious pups. I love labs. They are such wonderful family members.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. Scritches to the pups. ♥

PaintedThread said...

Happy dogs! I've noticed the shadows are getting longer earlier in the day. I love your photo of the hummingbird.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thanks for joining our Thankful Thursday Blog Hop, we're glad you hopped in!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - we have also been experiencing high heat, but no rain to break it up. Sad, but normal for Montana. I try to get out in the garden in the morning while it is still kinda cool. That's a terrific picture of the hummer - I have always liked how the neck area looks like scales.

Linda said...

Your Flight of Fancy birds project is so pretty with those reds and that magpie is well done! Love the blue flower on the AC bush, and the undergrowth looks nice. We have a glimmer of hope by mid-week next week for the temps to get back to more normal range, but we still have a drought here. Love the doggies, those noble heads and wagging tails!

Linda said...

And I forgot to mention thank you for joining with us at To Do Tuesday!

betty-NZ said...

The tiny bird is so pretty! As is your awesome handiwork :)


Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!