Thursday 2 May 2024

Chookshed Stitcher's Challenge, Appliqued Hour Glass Blocks, Cake, Garden Gift

Happy May to all! Though it feels a little like one step forward and two steps back, spring is getting here. Fresh snow out west; here no snow but cold overnight and early mornings have a chilly wind. But it doesn't stop the two who venture out every morning for a good walk. Of course, one of us is wearing a fur coat so he's going to be toasty no matter what. 

As another Ned said...

"What is the good of your stars and the trees, your sunrise and the wind, if they do not enter into our daily lives?" E. M. Forster 

Time for a Spring Wall Hanging
 I have a lone chipmunk this year. And he is very tiny. Usually we have five or six running about so I'm wondering what happened. It can't be lack of winter food. They all were quite busy last summer steadily carting my sunflower seeds back to their den to the point I imagined a huge seed mine underneath our front lawn. I just looked it up and I was not wrong to imagine that because it said chipmunks can hoard up to 8 pounds of seed during a summer if it is readily available. I counted and their hole was and still is 20 of my steps from one of the three bird feeders. 
Late afternoon sun gave him a glowy look.
The latest cake from Beth has been finished off. So good! A chocolate one and the recipe is amongst Rock Recipes' 20 Best Chocolate Cake Recipes
Some women get jewelry but look what Hubby got me...my very own Gorilla Cart. He figured it would be easier than pushing the wheelbarrow and it's got an automatic dump feature which makes it easy to use. It took him a while to assemble and here it is. I love it!

During April I fitted the Chookshed Stitcher's Challenge  #9, the Panama Pyramids, into the stitching plans. I was happy with how it went together fairly accurately with just the one row needed easing of the seams to join correctly. Finishing at 70 in x 65 in., it is big enough for a bed.
So all the rows are together and the sides getting finished. Some quilters have cut through the diamonds on the sides which I'm reluctant to do, so I'm going to have a further think about that. I'm going to layer this one for quilting when I sort out the backing. I'd like to stitch a motif in the solid yellow triangles.  
It has over 1500 hand stitched little EPP triangles in it! And I enjoyed stitching every single one.
The RSC colour for May is pink. Here are a couple of the appliqued Hour Glass blocks that I'd already stitched in pinks. I don't have much pink fabric and I'm sticking to the 2024 fabric diet.

LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color's prompt this week is what does your name mean, as in, are you named after someone maybe or is there a story behind your name. Mom loved my French name which she heard on a radio drama from long ago. It was about a doctor and his nurse who was named Jocelyn. Mom didn't like it to be shortened to Jos and she also didn't know technically it should have had an e on the end for the feminine form. I thought about adding it when I was older but let it go. In all my schooling I only ever knew one other girl with the same name. I loved that my name was rare and different. How about you? Are you named after someone?

I hope your week has gone well and the weekend will be even better. 


29 comments :

Nancy J said...

The cart is great, some of my friends down here have the same. Names?? I was called Nan as a child, my real names are Anna Jean, one after each of my Grans. But when I started High School decided it was time to use a real name and chose Jean, thinking then at 12 that Anna was old fashioned.And the first and last together, Anna Appleby, didn't sound right to my young mind. But I soon found out, it is a lot easier to use your first name, as all legal documents, accounts, roll call, Jury Service, licences etc require both names. A side note, you can also get carts with a motor !!!~

Anonymous said...

Panama Pyramids looks wonderful! Good for you for meeting the goal. I don’t have very much pink in my stash either. We have lots of birds, chipmunks and squirrels as well as rabbits in our yard. I’m working on a birthday gift for a friend…still a few hours to go on that. Take care! Gail at the cozy quilter.

loulee said...

Love your pyramids. And that wee cart. I want one.

Angela said...

Your tulip quilt is so pretty!

Jenny said...

Your Panama Pyramids look good, all hand pieced, so quite a lot of stitching for you.
My Mother was hoping for a boy and had the name Michael David picked out, which I later used for my own son. A friend of hers then suggested Jennifer for the new baby, so that was what I was named.

Jackie said...

What a wonderful cart. The Panama Pyramids looks great.

I have two friends named Jocelyn and a sister-in-law with that name.

Finished binding the baby quilt today and took out the box of triangles to start the next flimsy. I hope to get that one done quickly, but I am not sure my idea is workable. We shall see.

God bless.

PaintedThread said...

Ooh - that chocolate cake. And that gorilla cart - that is a sign of true love! Your pyramids are looking great. Sally was a rare name while growing up, so I understand how you liked having a unique name!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love the pyramids quilt. It has such a classic look. I have chipmunks running around my yard but they all look pretty chubby. They live in our rock wall. Both of my cats love watching them through the windows.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love a good walk, too - how wonderful to have Ned for your walking buddy! That chipmunk is a fun sight. He must be enjoying that seed stash! Your chocolate cake looks so yummy. And Panama Pyramids is amazing, Jocelyn - what an accomplishment!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I've always been Karen no nickname not named after anyone that I know of I guess mom and dad just liked the name.
Great quilt I love it. Chocolate is a favorite. Warmer days and nights here leaving windows open at night is almost nightly right now but have had the A/C on day time now and then if it is too humid

Pamela Dempsey in Northeast Texas 😻 said...

That chipmunk 🐿️ is too cute! The chocolate cake looks soooo yummy! Yes, your gorilla 🦍 cart will be so handy. If Ned wears out on a walk you could give him a ride home 🏠 😻.
I’m Pamela Dianne. Was always called just Pam unless I was in trouble then it was my whole name. My Mom saw a set of twins on tv , one Pamela the other Dianne. Didn’t run into any “Pams” till 7th grade, there were always a gob of Debbies, Kathys and Leslies. I named my oldest daughter Jennifer after Jennifer O’Neill, I thought she was a very pretty model and boom 💥 there were gobs of Jennifers all over. I always give my pets people names! 😻❤️

Linda said...

Thank you for that chocolate cake link! Yum, yours looks so good. Beth is amazing. I so love your Panama pyramids, and that spring wall Hanging is so pretty. I love your name and what a neat story behind it. I was named for Linda Darnell, a 1940s actress!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Seeing your little chippie reminded me of my Dad (who lived with us the last 12 years of his life). He would spend hours sitting out by the garage with his pockets filled with peanuts. He would have chippies all over him searching in his pockets for their treats. We went through so many huge bags of peanuts and always wondered whatever became of the shells.
1500 EPP triangles - that's an astounding number!! Well done, you.
As for my name - I don't think I was named after anybody that I'm aware of. Oddly enough I always went by the double name (Mary Anne) and in public school there were 3 kids with double names in my small class (Mary Lou, Mary Ellen and me). We all used both names. When I was working in the local bank there was another double name - Mary Louise - and it ended up we started going by ML and MA. The MA has stuck with me.

Susie H said...

What a kind & thoughtful birthday present! Assembly was an added bonus! Love your Panama Pyramids. I'm sure you'll come up with a perfect solution to the sides.

Jannette said...

It was Dutch tradition to name your eldest daughter after the maternal grandmother - but her name Janneke was a little too European, so I was named Jannette. The eldest son was named after the paternal grandfather; 2nd daughter took the paternal grandmother's name and 2nd son got the maternal grandfather's name.
Unfortunately, most women named Jannette spell their name Jeanette, so I'm forever correcting either the spelling or pronunciation... (it could be worse!)

Sara said...

The Panama Pyramid quilt is really stunning! Wow! I have enough blocks for a complete top, but can't decide what to use for those alternate blocks. Yours looks awesome.

I don't know that I was named after anyone. My mom always said she just liked my name. She spelled Sara without an H, and so I've been correcting people my whole life on the spelling.

Helen said...

My husband got me one of those gorilla carts too! It's exactly like yours. And, I. LOVE. IT. I use it all the time for so many reasons.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your pyramid quilt top is fabulous, well done with all these tiny EPP triangles!
I enjoyed your name's story, and like you, my name is quite rare. I know some women with the same name, all my age, but still it's mostly a masculine name, spelled with a C at the end. I love being a little different ;)
Thank you for sharing!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - you do have a beautiful name, and I think I know of only one other person with that moniker! I am jealous of your Gorilla cart - I think I may have to forward your post to my hubby!

Thanks for visiting my blog, and enjoy Spring!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a wonderful Panama Pyramids top, such beautiful work! The cart looks like a big help in the garden.
My mom named me for a Shakespeare sonnet. Who is Sylvia, what is she... It's an unusual name, I've been the only one in my quilt group for many years.

Deb A said...

What a cute chipmunk! I miss them so, we don't have them down in Florida. I love your Pyramid top. I think that might be a prep project to take with me this summer. That wagon looks great.

Michele McLaughlin said...

The guerilla cart is wonderful and such a good hubby to know what you need! Love your pyramids and hour glasses! So pretty! Have a wonderful day!

Rose Marie said...

So glad to see your pyramids top together and how lovely it is.

LA Paylor said...

whee! what fun to read about people's names here. It's like having a little party at yours
I want a gorilla cart now
L.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Love the Gorilla cart! You really hung in there and finished those lovely triangles! Cud’s to you. - Pretty quilt! Cutest Chipmunk, and great Chocolate Cake! Yummy! I am trying to hold of purchasing any more material - only if necessary!
The NAME issue. My Mother was a Smith. She was an accomplished Pianist and when they moved to San Antonio Texas she married a Chopin! Great name for someone who was a piano teacher for 20 years, then a SchoolTeacher for 18 years.

Now when it came to children’s names, I was named for the Musical “No No Nanette” made in 1930 and 1940 with Doris Day and Gordon MacRae . I was not given a middle name henceforth I have always retained my maiden name Chopin as a middle name. It is totally French! There were 2 songs that became popular during the ‘40’s from No No Nanette - Tea for Two and I Want To Be Happy. Great songs. I was always told “No No Nanette” and people always pronounced my beloved Chopin - SHOW PAN! LOL

And yes, my sister was named Rose Marie from the 1936 file Rose Marie with Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald. Songs from that movie were Indian Love Call and Rose Marie. My parents were married in 1935, and born in 1908 (Father) and 1911 (Mother).

Michelle said...

I love the gorilla cart!! I use a wheelbarrow and we have a utility vehicle for the farm, but I usually don't use it. No jewelry gifts here either :)! Thanks for linking up.

dq said...

I am little late getting out to everyone to congratulate you on your Chookshed Challenge. Your "triangles" quilt in yellow is so beautiful and so much work!!!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh Wow!!! that panama pyramids is amazing!!!! How will you quilt it?
I agree with you on spring - one day we are in short sleeves and today - grabbing a jacket!
Love you gorilla cart - that is a great idea!

Twyla said...

Love your blog. Now I want a gorilla cart. My mother saw my name in a local paper before I was thought about. I was very shy in elementary and I knew the first day of school every year for roll call I would have to stand up in class and tell the teacher how to pronounce Twyla. But, mostly I have enjoyed a unique name.