Wednesday 15 May 2024

Food Hacks, Barred Owls, BB Border Design, Pink Hour Glass Blocks

I just have to share the end of another successful Barred Owls of Indiana season. I so enjoyed watching these three grow and then branch successfully off into the big wide world. I really like how the owl parents are so attentive and make sure all three, even the youngest and smallest, hatched days after the first, gets plenty of food. Their eyesight is thought to be better than ours so imagine emerging from the nest box and seeing all the world in front of them for the first time- no wonder they look transfixed. 

BTW, the Cottage Garden Samplings Year in the Woods series does feature an owl in the group but it is a Barn Owl. I would definitely work it if it were a Barred Owl. I've never seen a Barn Owl though I know they are plentiful here in Ontario. This one is a beauty though. 

Sunday last was Mother's Day. Beth and I enjoyed our usual outing...getting pedicures and manicures at the local Mahogany Spa in Carleton Place, a nearby town. 
I wish I could get my house to smell as nice as that place does. This year I picked the deep pink polish. 
The event includes Mimosas to sip on and a delicious boxed lunch. Beth also gave me a bag of goodies including this information she came across on the web. 10 Glucose Hacks from the Glucose Goddess. I'd never heard of her but I've watched a couple of her YouTube videos since. 
Stitching this week so far... Here are some of the appliqued Hourglass blocks in pinks together. 
And I've appliqued sort of leaves for the Bramble Blooms borders. More to be added to this. I hope I can pull it off -how I'm imagining this in my head I mean. 
Our sweet house guest is still here. Getting me out of my chair and out the door. 
Ned hangs on his every whine!

I've gathered more free patterns to share soon and also thoughts about how to join those Tiny 9 Patch blocks. Think I should begin that before the numbers get overwhelming. I'll also talk about LeeAnna's Not Afraid of Color prompt next time...it has to do with childhood lessons. 








22 comments :

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Those owls are adorable! So wonderful that all three hatchlings fledged.
Looks like you had a wonderful Mother's Day outing! I've never had either a manicure or a pedicure but I imagine you must have felt very pampered.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love your day out that sounds relaxing!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your Mother's day treat sounds wonderful! I like what you've started for the Bramble Borders. Happy stitching!

Deb A said...

Sounds like a fun time with your daughter. Thanks for the info on the glucose. I searched and ordered 2 of her books.

Nancy J said...

The owls, that nest looks very deep, and were they listening to their Mum calling from another tree? How we can see all this with modern technology is a huge bonus.

Jenny said...

Your house guest looks delightful, I'm sure you and Neddy love having him come to stay for a while. What a great Mothers Day treat you enjoyed with your daughter.

PaintedThread said...

Cute owls all around. Looks like a fun spa day! Happy Mother's Day!

Astrid said...

Happy belated Mother's Day! A perfect way to celebrate and wonderful gift. I've never had manicure or pedicure, I'm sure it feels relaxing. Fun leaves for the BB borders and pretty pink hourglass blocks.

Linda said...

Your day out with Beth sounds so wonderful! Love that shade of pink, doesn't it make you happy to look at your toes? :D I like that border of leaves, very pretty.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've not seen a barn owl. Lots of barns, no owls. The barred one I heard yesterday afternoon.

I am going to Mahogany for my hair cuts these days! I had a melt down at my old hairdresser!

What a fun afternoon!

Carol in Texas said...

Jocelyn, your blog contains so many interesting things!!!! I’ve never watched the owls. How long have you been watching them. They are so precious! Precious too is that picture of your house guest!!!! I love labs. We had a female, Bonnie, when the boys were growing up. And our older son and his wife have two yellow labs, Gunner and Gidget, who come to see us occasionally…..the cats love those visits, as you can imagine!!!!!! I will try out the Glucose Goddess’s videos. I always look into things you suggest!

Have you and your husband watched The Night Manager? We happened upon it on Acorn and it was very exciting viewing. I’ve read many John LeCarre books, but I never read that one. The production was excellent. We are hard up for good things to watch. We have Prime and currently we are subscribing to Acorn, but I think I’ll leave that for now in a week or so. I will appreciate any recommendations, though I don’t think we have the same things available as you have in Canada.

Susie H said...

Oh my, such sweet owlets. Love how their heads bob around as they check out the world before them! I think you picked out a lovely shade of pink for your tootsies!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those young owls peeking out of their house! There is a barn owl nest box cam at the environmental center near where I walk, and I was just checking it. There are babies in it and they look very similar to the barred owl babies. Your visit to the spa with Beth sounds so enjoyable. Love that look on Petey's face! Time to go, Mom!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I love your pink polish! That border of leaves is so pretty. I'm not sure I've ever seen an owl outdoors. It's wonderful to see nature around us.

Jackie said...

Nobody touches my feet, I actually find them kind of hideous.

Your hourglass blocks are so much nicer than mine. Not all of mine actually met in the middle, but since it is an outside blanket/quilt matching is not too important this time around.

God bless.

LA Paylor said...

how I would have loved all the pampering you and your daughter shared. How nice to see it all, love the polish too.
Ned... loverboy....

audrey said...

Love your sweet 'sort of leaves'.:)

Preeti said...

Pink is in season :-) You cannot go wrong with pretty pink toes. And chocolate and a sweet dog. Sounds like a perfect day!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your pink toes were the perfect color for the month! Ned is a good boy for ensuring you get moving each and every day! I like your appliquéd leaves and hour glass blocks. The owl video was amazing!

Fiona said...

What fun watching the owls - we pick up on various wild life places every now and then - they don't follow a story but we did follow Bald Headed Eagles in California one year - this year the eggs didnt hatch sadly...
Hugz

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

It looks like Mother's Day was a precious moment, and fun too! I love all the pink in there ;) Pretty aqua leaves too.
Thank you for sharing your happy place!

Nann said...

Great horned owls are the most prevalent here in northern Illinois. We hear them, especially on winter nights/before dawn. A family nested in a park in Chicago. Sadly, they were found dead -- apparently they'd eaten rats who'd had rat poison.

I like the Bramble Blooms leaves -- pretty color!