Thursday 12 September 2024

Simple September Terrific Twos

 In twos...

The two of us went down to the pond early evening during the time some call the Blue Hour.  As we turned a corner of the skating shack, I saw clearly two fawns lying together in the tall grass at the far end of the pond. Luckily Ned was entranced with something on the ground and hadn't seen them. I watched for a minute, then pulled him back to quietly exit the scene. No photo, just the beautiful image still in my mind. 

My indoor Geraniums have put on quite a show outside this summer. The heavy rainfalls did not affect them. Such a hardy and colourful plant when in full bloom.

And my Madagascar Jasmine also flourished in the summer heat and rain. These flowers have a waxen feel and love rain.
It is basically a vine and sent out a shoot that wrapped around the neighbouring Black Eyed Susans.
Several times this summer, I've spotted two fox travelling together. At the first sighting one was notably larger but now they seem to be the same size. I think they are litter mates. Here is a photo from early June when they are "blowing their coats"( shedding the winter fur) so appear very scraggly. 

I've spent most of my stitching time with two projects since I last wrote to you. 

My progress on the cross stitch project, Tudor Bee, has been slow and interrupted by travel. It went with me but I didn't lay one single stitch while away. Here is how far I am with it...

I was so unsure of what colour to use for the solid alternating blocks in the 3 inch EPP Tiny 9 Patch Block challenge. I tried a blue then a green but they didn't really grab me. I was tempted to just go with white like the original antique quilt that was the inspiration for this project. But I also kept returning to look at the red which seemed to make the scappiness of the blocks shine. Btw, the red is not this orange/red as showing. It is what I call a true red.

So far, I am liking it and finding the red cheery to work with. I did a wash test with it and it is, importantly, colour fast. What do you think?

I am sad that two of my favourite blogging friends have decided to give up blogging.

 Jenny of Jenny of Elefantz has decided to say farewell for now after blogging for many, many years. I was a member of her stitching club for a year and have purchased several of her sweet designs. I loved all that she shared with us...her tidbits about their life including the struggles of living in northern Australia, her garden photos and the wonderful recipes she also so gladly shared with us. 

The wonderful Weaver of Grass, Pat in the Yorkshire Dales, has decided to stop blogging. She has cancer and is receiving end of life hospice care at home. She is 90 years old and I have been reading her words for almost two decades. Her wonderful musings and terrific advice, descriptions of food and flowers, love of her dogs and the monarchy, steady focus on the positive, her will to keep the body moving...all inspired and often prompted me to buck up and get on with it all myself. Her final note...it is better to travel than arrive. 

My goal for August was to keep things light. I failed miserably at that having been downright emotional at times and letting my feelings seesaw so much my head felt tired of it all. That ever happen to you? You just feel tired of juggling all the thinking about all the things all the time. But I'm putting a stop to the moaning and groaning right there. Yes sireee, September will be super I'm determined and so far, so good. Do you feel like this statement too?

"September is the other January." -Gretchen Rubin 

 And there's stuff to be done here. I've decided to downsize my sewing room and move it back to the tiny room I had used originally when we moved to this house. I'm basically only in the sewing room when at the machine and I don't need much space for that. I've purchased a bunch of those under bed containers to sort fabric and projects and store them properly and hopefully, more efficiently.  

Thank you, friends, who reached out and sent kind words of encouragement during my little blogging break. Stitchers are wonderful people!

20 comments :

Julierose said...

Sad to hear of two bloggers leaving our community, isn't it? I had followed Jenny also--such a lovely blog.
I am glad to hear that you are feeling inspired after your re-charging break...hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Welcome back, Joceyln. I hope that the break was refreshing and you were able to relax. It certainly sounds like you have been busy. I adore your red quilt ; the red is very cheery. I have never seen 2 red foxes traveling together- what a treat to see and to capture in a photograph. I wish you a lovely day . Happy quilting and stitching.

Jenny said...

Hello Jocelyn, so nice to hear from you again. I always enjoy reading your words and catching up with news from your part of the world, especially seeing the wildlife. So sorry to read that hou have been feeling emotional lately, sometimes we just get overwhelmed by life, don't we. Take care.

Robin said...

Glad you're back, hope you enjoyed your break. I found your quote, September is the other January" very thought provoking. I read in a blog once that September was her favorite month. I was stunned. September wasn't one of my fondest months but I realize it was because I had a large family and September was full with new school year, new clothes, new supplies, and trying to keep up with the abundant harvest of tomatoes, peaches, apples, cucumbers, and grapes. I bottled or dried all our fruit and made pickles. I was always so relieved to have September over and done with. But, now that I'm older, I've tried really hard to find good things about September. The fall flowers of sun flowers, chrysanthemum, aster, chicory, and marigolds are dazzling. The angle of the sun is magical sometimes. The garden and life in general slow down by the last week and the leaves start to change. I've learned to appreciate September more.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like the red fabric with the 9 patches, I'd use it if I were you, happy stitching!

The Cozy Quilter said...

lovely geraniums! We grow them here too. They bloom all summer and into the fall. The red alternate square colour is perfect for your nine patches. Lucky you to see all that wildlife!

grammajudyb said...

I so love all your flower and wildlife photos? I too am sorry to see Jenny go! I learned so much from her. Making do, embroidery techniques, recipes lots of advice. I too have been feeling off! I don’t know why! I’ll take you advice and DECIDE that September is the new January! A time to begin again. I’m glad you are back here, I missed you!

Quilting Babcia said...

The red fabric seems like a perfect backdrop for your tiny 9-patch blocks. Makes it look so cozy and warm, and we'll be needing that before we know it! Welcome back after your summer blogging break! So sad that Jennifer is seriously considering ending her blog. I've enjoyed so many blogs that have recently ended, and it is very sad, I think especially for those of us who live in rural areas and don't have access to many socializing opportunities in our favorite crafting or quilting areas. But time marches on I guess.

Jocelyn said...

I am so sad to hear that Jenny will no longer be blogging. She was always such a source of inspiration as well as talent.

Lin said...

Always lovely to see fawns, so special, and the fox's are great to watch too. The red is looking great with your tiny 9 patches. I do love September. The cooler weather is welcome after a hot summer (although not this year, it has been a cool summer and it's downright cold at the moment. But should warm up again) and it feels right to start new projects. We usually have a holiday in September and all those places that were busy with holiday makers are now accessible again. Enjoy! xx

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is always sad to hear that more bloggers are quitting for some reason or another especially when in ill health and close to the end. I have lost quite a lot of blog friends over the years due to that and some you never know why they quite - better they have time to tell us I think

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's good to read a post from you, Jocelyn! I've missed you. Beautiful flowers and the fox photo is amazing, too. I love the red background for the tiny 9 patches! I've been wanting to try a red background for some blocks, but haven't done it yet. You're inspiring me already! May you have a lovely September!

Deb A said...

I saw your post pop up in my sidebar and thought 'I have not read her blog in a while' and popped over! Sorry to hear that your mind has been unsettled lately. Mine has as well the last few months. I try to find 3 positive things each day, and it helps me. Might be something to try. I also write down my worries sometimes (those squirrel thoughts running around are terrible!) and that seems to help pop them out of my head.
I LOVE the red you chose for your blocks. It sings a happy song and if it brings you joy to look at it, you picked perfectly. I hope you have a wonderful September and enjoy those morning walks with Ned. They are the best medicine. Big hugs to you.

MissPat said...

I'm glad you are back, but sorry to hear you have felt out of sorts. It's been so hot this summer I haven't gotten much quilting done. Or much of anything else for that matter. Your geraniums look wonderful. I keep mine over, too, but they didn't perk up very much this summer, so I may consign them to the compost and start fresh next spring. I'm trying to reduce my gardens, as I jsut can't keep up with them anymore. Hoping the cooler temperature of autumn and getting back to blogging will improve your outlook. We should strive to enjoy our remaining days and not brood about things that can't be changed.
Pat

Berkshire Tatter said...

Welcome back. May your break have been refreshing. The red with the nine patch is gorgeous.

Marthanne

Rosemary Dickinson said...

So glad to hear from you! Your flowers are beautiful. I loved seeing the pictures of the foxes. They seem so happy to be together. It's sad to hear about the bloggers. I suppose time marches on for all of us. Life is overwhelming and sometimes we just have to accept it and do the best we can.

Susie H said...

So glad to hear from you again. How is Ned? There's usually a walking picture from the 2 of you. I have a hard time growing geraniums here in my climate. Yours are stunning! Let's hear it for Super September!!! ((hugs))

PaintedThread said...

I love all your outdoor photos. It's always sad to lose blogging "friends" that you enjoy. There must be something in the stars or weather - I've been seesawing, too, so I feel for you!

loulee said...

Lovely to see the flowers and the foxes. Your nine patch looks great.

Linda said...

Hi Jocelyn! Your red background is really pretty on the tiny 9 patches. Nice progress on your needlework. Those moments (like your 2 fawns) with no photos are really special aren't' they?
I think a lot about quitting my blog - my posts are few and far between. I've been discouraged about it for quite awhile. Yes I have moments like you describe with my emotions. The other morning I woke up sad and had tears (which my husband was confused about - lol!), but I just went with it and took it easy. I even canceled a doctor's appointment. I woke up yesterday morning to my old self, thank goodness. Like you, I'm determined to put a stop to my "moaning and groaning". :D