Thursday 30 August 2018

A New App, Sarah's Grasshopper Applique, Barred Owl Love

My iPad Pro is just a year old so I am new to the whole app phenomena. I do my 'work' on my 17 inch Acer laptop that is over 6 years old now and still works well for me. I love it.
 The iPad Pro I bought for myself as a fun thing has turned out to be just that...great fun.  I have downloaded a few free apps on it and one I love is called Flipboard.
 It reminds me of Pinterest but instead of images, you are sent articles curated from around the world.  And you can do a little survey at the start if you like so you can be forwarded items that suit your interests.  This has turned out to be the most marvelous resource for a wealth of information and interesting tidbits. I know online time often needs minimizing but I think this resource is a keeper. Yes, all kinds of stitching is found there too.
You can read more about Flipboard here.

One of my first posts from this property was about a barred owl I sighted...in fact it was sitting in the laneway when we returned once from the cleanup at the old place.  I've seen one perhaps three times since. However, we have heard them calling many nights here so know there is more than one around.
 Recently, when I was walking the dogs, I caught sight of a flash of wings and there landing on a very high tree branch was a barred owl.  I set off home, dropped the dogs, grabbed my camera, wishing against hope the bird would still be there by the time I got back.  No it wasn't, but I heard blue jays squawking like crazy not far away and followed their racket.  And there was the owl sitting so high up I could hardly make it out.

It was quite serene and seemed to be looking down at me, not at all interested in the birds flying about and screeching. I positioned myself and the camera against some thin birches and took photos using the zoom fully extended which makes handling the camera so darn awkward-and wobbly.


Two things struck me.  One, just how big this bird is.  I looked it up after and they can be as much as 2 feet tall. He/she looked enormous to me especially with mostly song birds I see for comparison.  The other thing was how hard on my neck this was!  It really hurt to be staring straight up for even a short bit of time. I had to keep looking down even though I didn't want to take my eyes off it.
What a beauty! And so happy to have a photo for my records.

Speaking of birds, here are my two large Grasshopper fellows. ( I'm calling them Gertrude and Heathcliff -how many of you will get that reference, I wonder.)  Two tulips to go next and lots more leaves to sew on.  The last block will be released any day now. I think this will be an interesting piece once all put together.


Continued heat and sunshine so it is still veranda times.  And yes, I have the classic Greek female foot where the second toe is longer than the big toe.  Many of you have that odd little thing too??? About 25 % of us do and you can read more about it here. I must have mentioned a concern at some point because I remember Mom telling me it was a sign of intelligence and to forget about it. I had very supportive parents!


We sometimes have tea mid afternoon there like the civilized people we are, hubby would say. LOL


I'm hand stitching like crazy on my other project, the Sew Laugh Love, hoping to accomplish an OMG for a change. And eyeing new projects as these two are winding down. I'll be round to check out what you are doing.

Happily linking with Not Afraid of ColorEsther's Quilt BlogThe Needle and Thread Network, Busy Hands Quilts and Free Motion By the River,













No comments :