Sunday 2 September 2018

DMC Christmas Red, Rock Recipe's Bakeapple Cheesecake, Sew Laugh Love Binding

I had an unusual birthday cake this year. Daughter made me a Bakeapple Cheesecake.  Bakeapples are an orange shaded berry that grow in my home province, Newfoundland and Labrador.  It is called Cloudberry in Europe and grows in specific marsh-like areas. Because there is just one berry per stalk, they are not plentiful the way bush berries can be and make it a challenge to get a lot of them. And I can testify it is backbreaking work! Due to all this, they are expensive to buy.

                           Hjortron.jpg
But we love their unique flavour and prize them for jams especially.

But back to my cheesecake. She used Barry's recipe from Rock Recipes called "Just a Vanilla Cheesecake" and it was just delicious (and I've made and eaten a lot of cheesecakes).
By the way, Barry cooks and bakes and blogs about it from his kitchen in St.John's, Newfoundland and been successful enough to now have three cookbooks in print.


Whipped cream and marshmallow fluff for the birthday girl! So grateful!

I did not accomplish my OMG :( but that's okay. Things always seem to take me longer to finish than I think they will especially the hand stitching. I'm so close to finishing it though, I feel confident in saying this will be my OMG for September and will join the OMG link party at Patty's Elm Street Quilts.  I'm hand stitching the edging today and hopefully, Sew Laugh Love will be given a pat and put to bed!


I made such good progress on Grasshopper and had stitching of a more mundane nature that got done this month.  I've just begun prepping a project I'm calling Scandinavian Redwork for Christmas which I'm so happy about being the redwork lover that I am.  More about this to come.  I'm now thinking about the red floss to use for the embroidery though.  Christmas red as it should be but which one.??

Are we in agreement that 321 is the  DMC Christmas red?  Any other suggestions?

Btw, I've found a way to make some sense of stippling with machine quilting and will share that next time.
Happy Sunday everyone!

Linking this post with Kathy's Quilts where Kathy is running a photography challenge.
Also joining Sew Can She, Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, Love Laugh QuiltFree Motion By the RiverSilly Mama Quilts and Cooking Up Quilts.
























No comments :