Sunday 9 September 2018

Ugly Skin, Redwork and Composting

Have you ever done this?  Put aside a bunch of clothes to bring to the goodwill and then gone back to the bag later on and pulled out something and put it on?? I did that very thing recently.  The warm, humid weather continued last week and I don't have that many short sleeved blouses (because of my vitiligo) and I remembered one I'd put in that bag and went and got it.
Some days you just need short sleeves...ugly arms or not!  I'll be brave and show you what I'm talking about.


Sometimes when I leave the house, I've put a little coverup makeup over that right hand white spots because they are more pronounced than this photo shows.  But vanity is leaving me and I seem to be caring less and less about this stuff. I know this is a minuscule thing for someone fair as I am-not complaining just sharing. :)

I compost as much as possible here in the little woods.  I have a small bin I keep on the counter...very handy and unforgettable when I'm doing the vegetable peelings and choppings.

And then this gets emptied in the big bin at the back door.  It has to be watered and turned but other than that, works its own magic becoming a soil like mixture over the long winter.  Surprisingly this does not attract animals (that we know of!).

Recently I noticed just how much of my vegetables wound up in the compost and thought perhaps I could make some stock from them.  Of course, on the internet there is a video for that! Just like anything else you can dream up these days.  I've made lots of chicken stock but never tried the vegetable one before.


So I've started a baggie of vegetable pieces kept in the freezer of the fridge.  When I accumulate enough, I'm going to try to make vegetable stock and see how it goes.

And in my little sewing room, I'm attaching leaves, finishing up a border and starting a new applique project that I thought I would squeeze in before autumn starts in earnest.  Yes, No, No, YES (Reminds me of a Vicar of Dibley character!).
In my defense, the Grasshopper applique can't be stitched anywhere but in the sewing room as it's too big for the lap.  I need a couple of somethings for t.v. viewing and stitching.

So here is a photo of the prepped blocks for the Scandinavian Redwork project with thanks for all of you confirming DMC 321 for the Christmas stitching,btw.  Using this colouring book for embroidery patterns was on the list for last year, but I'm happy enough getting to it now.


Thanks to Zeena Shah for her lovely drawings.  And more about that other project peeking out there later.... glorious applique!

 Enjoying every minute of wonderful weather logging lots of garden time.  Hope you enjoy this photo I took of a waxwing, one of a flock down by the pond. His belly is such a pretty lemon colour. The light is changing daily, I notice.


Hope your Sunday is as sunny as this picture!
Happy as always to link this post with Kathy's Quilts and Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.












No comments :