Sunday 23 September 2018

Free Kantha Stitching Tutorial and Silly Fears

I've been buying kind of cheap sunglasses most of my life and sometimes have even found a dollar pair at Value Village I liked.  Last year, I decided to let Hubby buy me a good pair...over a hundred dollars at Costco!! But they are amazing; perfectly suit my vision; I can feel my eyes relax with them on.  For the southern very sunny holiday, they were tremendous and I think essential.

  But such comfort comes with a cost that is not just dollars.  I'm obsessed with the fear of losing them.  Before, it really didn't matter much if sunglasses went missing or I left them somewhere.  Now, like my connecting cords, I have to be able to see them and reassure myself exactly where they are.  Sometimes I've made the decision not to wear them and wear a pair of my cheapos instead simply because I'm afraid I'll lose them.  Which kind of defeats the purpose to say the least.

 But I seem to misplace things a lot and spend a fair bit of time hunting things down...and I am the queen of losses, so it is not totally irrational.  But anyway, do you have something like that.  You spent more money on than you're used to or comfortable with and now fear for the loss???

Those sunglasses come with a case, a very large case, too large for any of my cross body bags.
 I saw this idea at Radiant Home Studio where Sara provides a complete pictorial tutorial of how to make a sunglass case and thought it a good one for me.  Kantha stitching -something new to me to learn and in the process make something useful for when those sunglasses make it out of the house.
                             Image result for kantha stitched eyeglass case
 I have a few pieces of Tula Pink fabrics that I don't remember how I came by and decided they would be perfect for this project.
 The first few rows of  hand stitching and I'm totally hooked on this process; it's very easy and produces such a strong, soft, thick fabric.  I can see why blankets would be so warm and durable made with this method.
As always a couple of Youtube videos helped me sort out what makes Kantha stitching unique.

A close up of the stitching and realizing how the overall size shrinks as more stitches get added.
Also a great way to use up scraps.

I've begun to applique these pieces on the first block of the Kim McLean applique quilt called Pot of Flowers.  Thought I'd start with the smaller blocks first.


These fabrics are very appealing...so bright and cheery...this would make a great project for the middle of the winter with its darker, grayer days.

Hands busy and lots to catch up on getting ready now for the new season.
Happy Sunday, happy stitching all.

Linking this post to Kathy's Quilts where very beautiful hand stitching is on display. Also linking with these great blogs: Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkSmall Quilts and Doll Quilts, and Love Laugh Quilt.














No comments :