Sunday 30 September 2018

Bird Sweater Season and Pumpkins Too

Just like that it seems, Mother Nature snaps a finger and it is Bird Sweater season. Love this sweater!


And since this season is already here, I've been wondering if I really wanted to/had the time/ inclination,etc. to  sew something with pumpkins this year.  First I had to check if I had enough orange/autumnal colours.  I have to admit what a surprise it was to realize I had this much hiding in my smallish cupboard- orange is just about my least favourite colour (probably next to purple) when it comes to choosing material.  So lack of fabric is not going to be an excuse for skipping the pumpkins which I love, btw.  I think they are such happy looking things.


I even have a real Halloween fabric there with black cats which I would have denied owning!

I almost ordered this pattern of Pumpkins designed by  Edyta Sitar of Laundry Basket Quilts


when I remembered the full pattern appeared in a copy of Quiltmania I own.


Yes, found it and I think this is going to be the pumpkins I work on this year.  I will make it my OMG for the month of October over at Elm Street Quilts which seems very fitting.  Edyta ( I wonder how you pronounce that name?) used fused applique method and rounded each with blanket stitch by hand which should be easy and enjoyable.

But before that, I'm up to Month 7 with the Grasshopper and want to move it along further(before the pumpkins start) by working on the last four starry blocks. Lots of little pieces but I'm following closely Sarah's method of sewing each half of the star first, then joining the two halves.

I've decided to break down and do a little fussy cutting with these center pieces of each star.  I'm usually reluctant to do this because of the bit of wastage it entails.  I mentioned there are lots of little pieces; I checked and in fact there are 32 of these diamond shapes in each block which will make for some interesting hand piecing.


Meanwhile I have my little Scandi redwork horse finished and am embroidering the rabbit now.  This is just about the most relaxing hand stitching you can get. I wonder should I add more embroidery to his end and legs. I seem to have made his head extra dense with stitching.  What do you think?

Again I'm apologizing for the photos taken this morning- we are having a very grey, cloudy start to the day with more rain in the forecast.  Hope it is sunnier where ever you are.
Linking this post to  Kathy's Quilts and thanks Kathy for hosting a slow stitching party each week.
Also joining the parties at What a Hoot Quilts, Em's ScrapbagBusy Hands Quilts and Love Laugh Quilt.



No comments :