Thursday 4 October 2018

Applique, BOM's and Cabela's Shopping

Early morning view from my pet chair...yes, dark enough this early in the season to have lights on here at the wooden house.

I was considering harvesting the seeds from the tall standing cone flowers,

then remembered the idea of ugly gardening and how birds enjoy the flower leftovers.  Glancing out the kitchen window, Hubby and I watched as the late season dulled finches were doing just that...a whole flock of them spent a day feasting on the seeds. And I took a couple of " through the window" photos.
What fun it is to have these star blocks of the Grasshopper 2018 BOM start to come together.

Still a lot of stitching as there are four of these to complete but good to have worked out some of the details to make the pieces fit together accurately. I always use an old piece of batting to lay them on as the pieces adhere nicely.  Have also learned to check the underside if a piece is missing!

Their look belies how easy they are to sew and don't you just love when quilting looks complicated but isn't at all. Sarah promised a great hand stitching project and Grasshopper certainly delivered. Her video tutorials are marvelous and I'll be curious to see her next BOM to be announced the end of this month.

I forgot to show you last time...have finished appliqueing a block of the Kim McLean Flower Pot hanging. Joyful colours.  Am now working on one of the long side panels. With continual grey skies, it's difficult to have indoor photos showing true colours; for instance, that background is in reality, Kona white.

Remember the Lily Challenge Project, which features this great scrappy block.
I have made 20 or so of these now...usually 3 or 4 at a time while waiting for the potatoes to boil kind of thing.
Do you do that?  Have little chores or stitching that gets fitted into tiny time slots.

While watching this (and frankly questioning why I enjoy murder mysteries sooo much-have I got a problem?),
                                   
I cut out another twelve blocks.  I think I'll return to the machine to sew this group. I have enough hand stitching to keep me satisfied for a while. The way these are put together in groups of 4 is rather unique.  You can see for yourself at the Facebook group page or at the Het Klossie web page.

Increasingly thinking of warmth and fleece comes to my mind- this in a Cabela's catalogue caught my eye. It's called The North Face Crescent Wrap pictured in Fig Heather.  I like the colour (also available in black), but not sure if just one closure would be warm however forgiving on the hips! You can look at it here Cabelas.
                           
                                                   Image result for north face crescent wrap in fig heather
October is settling down upon us, much cooler overnight, and out west in Alberta they had a huge snowstorm! Ahh, foretelling what is sure to come.

As always linking with the Thursday likes gang over at Not Afraid of Color. Also linking with
Quilt FabricationQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkEsther's Quilts, Crazy Mom Quilts and Sew Fresh Quilts .
















No comments :