Thursday 27 September 2018

Take a Break Stitching


I'm back from visiting my mother in Newfoundland and like all journeys home, it always makes me feel so nostalgic.  I have wonderful memories like most of us, of a childhood typical of those innocent times.  My sister and I walked the street that we called "In Town" growing up and I saw where my school and the movie theatre had been, changes made to the bell tower of our church, and the drug store I and my friend were in getting ice cream cones when we heard President Kennedy had been shot.  A story I didn't believe till I got home and there was Mom in front of the t.v. crying.
I love my family and especially my sister and brother and sister in law who I think are all remarkable, interesting people. I always learn things from them.  So thankful they are in my life.

In the suitcase was a pile of Mom's knitted dishcloths for me to share with the daughters.  Like myself and so many of us, she likes to have something to do in front of the t.v.  It's heartening to know hand work like this can be kept up into ones' mid eighties.


In my absence, the hydrangeas outside my sewing room had turned to varying pinks in reaction to the cooler temperatures.  A pretty sign of fall.


I love having a little wetland and pond on the property.  My first morning back we watched these Solitary Sandpipers trolling the pond for nourishment which they will greatly need for the upcoming migration all the way to South or Central America.



The white spots on their backs helped with identification.

I showed you my Redwork blocks with the Scandinavian designs I'd drawn on.  Sewing simple stitches such as back stitch, running stitch, blanket stitch and French knots is really take a break stitching for me.  It allows my mind to drift just like working in the garden does. I relax without having the worry of precise measurement and dealing with seams that must match up.
Working with the cheery Christmasy DMC red is a bonus. (Showing more orange/red than it really is here.)

 I think we should all have take a break stitching. Do you have such a project on the go??

Coincidentally, after writing this bit, I read Mary Corbett's post on Needle and Thread where she speaks of exactly the same thing.  She doesn't think hers is quite as mindless as I do as she called hers a Stitching and Thinking Project. :)

Well, I was intrigued by this bit of fun, The Best Mantra For Your Zodiac Sign and couldn't resist seeing what Virgo's mantra should be.  Some of you who remind me not to be so hard on myself would agree with this. But Virgo is the sign of the perfectionist. 😊

virgo
Today is an outing day with Hubby I've been looking forward to all week...off to a nearby little town for a shop and lunch.  And there is a quilting shop there too.

Hope you get to do something fun today too.
Linking as always with Not Afraid of ColorMy Quilt Infatuation and Needle and Thread Network.













No comments :