Thursday 20 December 2018

Mitten Colour Wheel, OMG Stitching, Wrapping To Do

It's not all cakes and bikkies here. :)
I  made a 2 lb loaf of whole wheat bread last weekend. I got out my electric bread maker and you all know how much pleasure these small appliances give me.  It tickles me to think that food can be cooking away without my attention, I guess.  It did a great job and I made tuna sandwiches for a late lunch one day that were so filling we weren't that hungry for supper.  These are big slices!  The Spruce Eats has 19 of the best bread maker recipes and I've made two of them, the rolls and the cinnamon rolls.


We too enjoyed The Kominsky Method - interesting to view people grappling with the same senior issues and how important, if you can, to keep your sense of humour. We were in awe of Alan Arkin at 84 still ably strutting his stuff .

                                           Image result for kominsky method
Do you know what trigger mitts are?
Like so many of you I grew up with hand knitted mittens and Mom had the ability to look at a design and work out how to knit it. For me I am bound by following a pattern.  I always had mitts with fancy patterns just like these below and took them completely for granted.  Isn't it wonderful to see the old time patterns recreated and preserved in such a pretty book.
Here is the Indigo link if you'd like to take a peek.

                           Saltwater Mittens from the Island of Newfoundland: More than 20 heritage designs to knit by Christine Legrow

I love colour wheels.
No automatic alt text available.
Here are Christine and Shirley showing trigger mitts...mitts with the pointer finger knit into them. Perhaps they have another name where you are from.
                     
I've been busy hand quilting my redwork piece using two strands of a red variegated floss.  I've made real progress, down to the last two rows, top and bottom to finish.  But I am finding this kind of stitching hard on my fingers.  It's a diamond pattern drawn on with a thermo sensitive frixxion pen and getting the needle down and then back up evenly is not easy. I understand why there is so much discussion about the method of achieving this. Last night I had to stop to rest my hands.


Looks like I have a bit of wrapping to do! Perhaps you prefer to wrap as you go. 
  Do you have a spot to keep the Christmas shopping?  I've been corraling mine to a spare room with the hope I can keep track of it.  Bought some interesting things that I will show you later.

Look who was under the tree back in 2012 at the old farm.  We think he is happy with us and considering he started life as a crated guard dog, I should hope so.

Busy times and lots on my list to do.  I am hoping to have my Elm Street Quilts OMG done by the weekend so wish me luck.
Hope it's starting to come together for you too!
Joining LeeAnna and the folks listed at Not Afraid of Color for all the things to like on a Thursday.
Also joining Free Motion By the RiverSew Fresh QuiltsBrian's Home BlogIt's a Small Town LifeMy Quilt Infatuation,  and The Needle and Thread Network.

No comments :