Sunday 16 December 2018

Walking Foot Quilting, Sunday Sampler

Come get your tea I say to hubby several times a day.
 As the chief cook and bottle washer here, I try my best to serve him not only tasty meals, but nutritious ones. Sometimes though I think he would be just as happy with only bread, biscuits and bacon, his favourite B word foods washed down with lots of steeped for five minutes black tea.

So for the most part, he has been remarkably easy to feed.  If  the rare time I'm stuck for something for supper, he'll say in that English way that makes it sound much better than it is, how about beans on toast. But we must be doing something right in the diet department as the doctor has dropped his metformin after a decade of monitoring his blood sugars and finding them stable.  So yay to that.  I think the two daily walks also help that status greatly.

While in the sewing room, I could hear something knocking on the side of the house. It was constant enough that I put on my coat and went out to investigate.  This fellow, a male Hairy Woodpecker, was having a great time breaking through the motar it looks like with an actual hole made in the house!  I could also see many other places where he'd been pecking.
With a wooden house I'm a little surprised this is not more of a problem.  After taking his picture, I shooed him away and haven't heard him since.
I was pleased my close up showed how he is using his stiff tail feathers for support.

Meanwhile our daily walks show us many messages in the snow, something different each time we go out.  Like the amazing fingerprint of feathers surrounding this tiny hole.  What lives(lived!) there I wonder. With rabbit tracks as well.


Or the fact that little birds possibly juncos and chickadees, and red squirrels marched around here. Looks like they were having a dance.


I've finished appliquing snowmen bodies and now working on the little embellishments for each one. These are small blocks about 6 inches and there isn't a lot of room for much around them, but I'd like something extra of interest in each block...besides the hats.
This is a great little project and I'm determined to use my scrap bin fabrics for it so it's fun to see bits from former projects making an appearance.
  This is my daily hand stitching fix and in front of the t.v. sewing, -very enjoyable to me.

My hours in the sewing room this week were at the machine.  I can't use the word enjoying to describe my walking foot quilting efforts, but I am pleased with the results I'm getting. I'm using #71on my Singer Quantum Stylist machine embroidery options; that is an undulating line and very useful.
Subsequent to this is my renewed determination to learn more about what this machine offers. I'm currently using about 10% of its capacity, not unlike my brain. :)

This is my Garden of Contentment under the needle, presently my ginuea pig for this week.


Why not the Redwork piece?  No red thread! I couldn't believe it when I scoured my spools box. I have to get to the fabric store soon! :)

Today finds us having a mild spell with the snow melting. Very tolerable. Hope it is the same where ever you are. And to my friends in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoy those warm breezes.
Happily linking with Kathy's Quilts and Viewing Nature with Eileen. Also linking with Quilting is More Fun Than HouseworkLove Laugh QuiltEm's Scrapbag, Our World Tuesday and What a Hoot Quilts.
















No comments :