Thursday 17 January 2019

Grandparents, Birds, Dogs, Stitching

My elderly grandparents liked to sit in a darkening kitchen and listen to the clock tick.
 I was always too shy to ask that a light be turned on so sat with my book in my lap and pretended it wasn't there for I didn't want them to feel badly they had neglected to turn on a light for me. It would seem to be a surprise to them that suddenly it was dark and we needed a light. I would have to say they had a high level of contentment just sitting like that with each other...no words, and the only other sound in the room, the ocean, a roar heard, not heard, then heard again.  Perhaps I was chasing boredom to be so mindful of the ocean sound like that but it is true that with any wind at all, the sound of the Atlantic Ocean could be heard inside that house in Maberly, Bonavista Bay.

Sometimes our memories take on a significance with time and I'm happy to be able to share that little but significant one of mine with you.  Grandparents are meant to be significant people in our lives, I believe. Besides being part of our personal history, they provide an added cushion of security and support...more important now than ever before, I think.
 And it is a troubling loss when that is not possible.

Present day and we are having a strange winter.  Foggy at times, rainy at times, blasts of extreme cold, snowfall...a little of all the winter gods have to offer it seems.
Hubby is using his special therapy light to ward off depression but thankfully, weather as such never gets me down and so far, so good for him too. And inside our wooden house, the four of us are snug as bugs.

I've been stalking the pileated woodpecker who's been making this mess of an old tree. We've caught him at it a couple of times...much squawking ensues.


Warning: Bad Bird Photo
This is the best I've managed to date...yes that red bit there in the middle is his head. He's quite the size.

At one of the birding sites (I wish I took note of the one), someone posted a bad photo and there was an unkind comment made about it. (I have to ask, why do people take the time to do that!)
 The manager asked that people share their bad bird photos because, of course, everyone has them.  So it was nice to see these wonderful photographers sharing their misses.

I purchased a beauty product back in the fall that I'd been reading about for a couple of years. A dermaroller...this is entry level with the shortest of the needles.

 I've been using this on my face once or twice a week and also on my receding hairline. I started out being very gentle with my face.  Now I press hard enough to make it feel a bit red and tingly sort of like a good cleanser feeling. While I don't put a lot of stock in these things, I do believe my scalp is getting a little bit of regrowth but perhaps that's just my wishful thinking. Sigh
  Differning Opinions abound of course!
Here is one article definitely saying nay to DIY microrolling.
And here is one that is positive about it.

Sometimes it comes as a surprise to me to know people are really reading what I write here on the blog. Thank you, Jessie, who noted that with my love of redwork and bunnies, this project would be up my alley. I've duly added it to my list.  It's from Bunny Hill Designs and called Rabbits Prefer Embroidery.

Rabbits Prefer Embroidery
And on that note, thank you to all who take the time to comment and/or email me. I love it and appreciate it so much.  I just wish Google did a better job of translations.

Last little bits being sewn on this...corners, etc., my Garden of Contentment. I'm doing lots and lots of hand quilting making sure all the pieces are well anchored.  Easy, stress free stitching and really, it is finished. But I don't want to let it go; it feels so nice in my lap.




True to their characters here when off leash, Rex watchful and Murphy running with typical Labrador abandon.
It's a frosty -30 C with the wind chill this morning, so bundling up will be the main fashion concern today.

Yesterday I made something called Keto Pizza Casserole. A photo and review next time.
Happily linking up with lots to like at Not Afraid of ColorBrian's Home Blog, and It's a Small Town Life.  Also linking with Em's ScrapbagKathy's Kwilts And MoreConfessions of a Fabric AddictMy Quilt InfatuationViewing Nature With EileenFrom Bolt to Beauty and Sew Fresh Quilts.









3 comments :

engelcoolers said...

Find Exclusive Deals On Portable Fridges Freezers, High Performance Cooler, High Performance Cooler in Canada, Portable Fridge Freezers in Canada, Heavy Duty Cooler in USA, Rotomolded Cooler in USA, and Rotomolded Cooler etc.

johnypoipet said...

The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
IWIN89

eric said...

i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346