Sunday 20 January 2019

Two Quilting Trends, So Many Stringed Quilts, Pizza Casserole

A Sunday snowy world outside my bedroom this morning.
 We are experiencing a double whammy weather event.  A snowstorm from the south, the U.S., and a frigid air mass from the north meeting right here so we have two warnings...extreme cold coupled with snowfall.
  It meant on our walk today we were bundled up like Arctic explorers and the snow was up to Murphy's belly.  It was more of a slog than a walk and we had to cut it short actually for her and Hubby.  Lots of snow clearing to come.
Inside, after our walk in a snowstorm, we warmed up with hot chocolate- and a chance to use my heavy Snowman mug. Yes, it's Canada in January!


Two trends I've noticed around the quilt blogging world.

 One is the finish up crowd.  A number of my blogging friends are determined to get their WIP's finished up in 2019. A few have already shared some wonderful finishes.

And two, along with this is the stash/scrap busting crowd. There seems to be a lot of folks trying to get their on hand fabric used and to make a dent in the scrap bin as well.  To that end string quilting, a wonderful way to use up scraps, seems to be enjoying a bit of a comeback.

At the Moda fabric blog, for instance, they are running a Moda String-Along inviting people to make and share string blocks. At that link, you will find a nice overview of different ways to make string blocks and ideas for creative ones as well.
String blocks have deep historical roots. This is a vintage string quilt Moda featured.  It works well to anchor the stringed blocks with a solid coloured block, it seems.
                             
The wonderful Lori at Humble Quilts is also running a string block quilt along. She is offering lots of information and is planning a basketweave quilt, I believe.

 Paulette at The Way I Sew It has created a Pinterest page of over 800 string quilts. You can check it out at her Silly for String Quilts board.  Loads of inspiration!
Stars are always so popular. 

  I've looked at some of the blocks folks are sharing...some are so coordinated they must not be all scraps.  But I can see raiding your stash to complement certain colours or patterns.  And using up fabric either way.

  I am definitely in the Finish Things Up bunch and happily moving a number of projects along.  But I have felt inspired to also get out all my scrap boxes to have a look.  With the 2018 projects, I've added some pretty materials to the scraps.  I've also been saving my selvages so they have mounted.

The appliqued snowmen are coming along.  I'm anchoring them with neutral greys and I've chosen the border. It will be a scalloped red against grey. To that end I spent sewing room time yesterday sorting out how to make the scallops without a special scallop ruler.  I experimented with different curved edges to choose the size I will need. A saucer is too big in this case.
Toting them about in a cardboard tray. 
I've not made fabric scallops before.  This method seemed interesting and I'm giving it consideration.

Here is a photo of the Keto Pizza Casserole prior to baking.

Hubby, who is a pizza fan, loved it. He said he would be happy if it made regular occurrences on our menu.  High praise indeed.
I followed the recipe found here...Kasey Trenum and added mushrooms, peppers, and cauliflower.  It's one of those things where you can use up what's on hand and is quick to put together. It would go great with tortilla chips.

I wish you all a wonderful Sunday!
Linking this post with the other hand quilters at Kathy's Quilts. Also linking with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts, What a Hoot Quilts, Quilting is More Fun Than Housework, Cooking Up Quilts, and
Love Laugh Quilt.






1 comment :

eric said...

i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
or
call/whatsapp:+2349057261346