Sunday 10 March 2019

Fox and Owl, Lilies and Milkman

I wonder how the early pioneers did it for we are not long from those times here in Ontario. Their marks of old stones for fences zig zag through this property still.  Their triumph over nature in the true sense of the phrase puts our complaining about winter weather- a snow storm today, into perspective especially when I read detailed accounts of their agonizing experiences settling Lanark county.

As  you may know we are surrounded by woods here and this allows us to get up close to nature.  Here is an instance that was very close.
 I glanced out the kitchen window and caught sight of a fox under the bird feeder. He made one quick movement, turned and was off back to the tree line immediately where he paused to enjoy his meal.  In the blink of an eye we are down one red squirrel.
  I keep my "point and shoot" camera there so was able to snap a couple of photos, albeit bad ones.

He had the most beautiful bushy tail and looked quite healthy. I wish I could have gotten a better photo.
Mama Barred Owl in Indiana has now laid two eggs in her nest.  I'm so happy the Cornell Lab camera is back on line to follow along with the hatching and raising of the owlets. This is year 3 for me to watch them and I am ridiculously in love with this.

I've sewn two rows of red scrappy blocks around those lilies.  I'm wondering if I should go for a third...you know that old rule of threes being more pleasing to the eye. What do you think? No shortage of little red blocks...just where did they all come from!!!
Today I will be back to the hand stitching, the first part of the alphabet, having finished the last half, on the cross stitched Cornwall Cottage, progressing.  While I watch the snow softly fall...

Or while listening to this, Milkman by Anna Burns...just arrived in my email from the library as an audiobook, after a long wait.  I have my hopes up as it won the Man Booker Prize in 2018.

                                 

Gay at Sentimental Stitches is hosting another patchwork block of the month this year called Cheddarback. Patterns are free for the first month they are posted. You may remember Gay also shared a sampler style project last year called Dear Daughter.  Thankful for all these generous quilters sharing their talents.

Thank you all for the sweet comments and emails about my husband's brush with what I still think was near death. He continues to get stronger and and is able to walk once a day with me now.
However, he will have to be careful not to cut himself while on this particular blood thinning drug.

Happy Sunday all.
Joining Kathy's QuiltsViewing Nature with EileenConfessions of a Fabric AddictBusy Hands QuiltsSo ScrappyEsther's Quilt Blog and Em's Scrapbag.




13 comments :

Quilter Kathy said...

So glad to hear that hubby is doing well and getting stronger!
Enjoy your stitching today!
Thanks for linking up!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

glad your husband is doing well - the owl is delightful to watch. I know we have foxes and have seen a couple over the years, my daughter lives 2 miles from us and they see a fox almost every week so must have a den near them. Love your quilt with the reds, I would think another round of the red would be just fine if you want it larger.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That is sure lots of snow hut the fox seems to be dealing with it okay.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, cool sighting of the fox in your yard. We have the fox here too, I do not usually see them in the yard. They do leave evidence they were here. Love your quilt, looks beautiful. So glad your hubby is doing better, I wish him well. Thanks for linking up and for the nice comment. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day. Have a great new week ahead.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your red quilt is coming along nicely. Another scrappy border would work, but is certainly not required. No matter WHAT the rule of threes states! I think it's up to you and the size quilt you are going for.

Deb A said...

Glad hubby is improving. Such fun to see nature up close and personal... from the safety of the house! Your quilt is lovely but I love the photo of the snow....I don't get that any more but I get to visit some next week!

Kim said...

That is wonderful news your husband is improving. Gosh that would have been scary. I too often wonder how pioneers coped without all the modern conveniences we have today. I can well imagine living surrounded by all that snow all those years back would have been dreadfully difficult. I rather love the thought of another red border around your gorgeous quilt. There is just something about groups of threes. Though in saying this, of course whatever you decide will look fabulous. This is such a beautiful quilt!

Judy S. said...

Love that red quilt and also the news that your DH is getting better. No foxes here, but we do have coyotes and a mama bear with 2 cubs.

Deanna W said...

Instead of another border how about a red scrappy binding. I agree with things in three but this might do the trick.Love that little fox and it is a great idea to have a camera handy. I am always without mine when I need it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always love your outdoor shots of your yard and its wildlife! We've had a fox or two come through our yard - to me that is such a thrill. Your scrappy red borders on the lilies quilt are wonderful! I'll have to check out the book you're listening to - I'm always looking for a new audiobook!

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the quilt!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We had a family of foxes living in the bank behind our building but I haven't seen them this winter so I wonder if they've moved on. It's rather unexpected to see them in the middle of a town and quite happily living there. Thank you for the owl link - I had remembered the live cams of the eagles but didn't realize they had owls too.

Snickelfritz said...

Just read about your husband and am so thankful he is doing well. Our husbands mean the world to us and when they have a health scare it really can throw us for a loop. I was just thinking how cozy your blog makes me feel and hope you are feeling cozy once again after the scare and that all will be well with you both. And I'm so jealous of your view out your windows. Must be wonderful.