Sunday 24 March 2019

Reinventing the Basket

This would be a good day for the Kitchen Drawer Police to visit me.  I spent my domestic pursuit time today cleaning out the four big drawers beside the sink.  How does it ever seem a good idea to keep take-out packets of soya sauce there?  Or pens, or rubber bands, old toothpicks, plastic spoons, or coasters. When I have perfectly good designated areas for all that stuff.  In a hurry, I guess.  But in retirement should I ever be in that big a hurry.

Another thing I did was make Hubby a cake.  Honestly we are still celebrating his survival and I'm so happy his recovery seems complete. He loves dates so this recipe fits the bill.  Date Coffee Cake With Chocolate Chip Streusel from Rock Recipes. For him the topping featuring chocolate chips was a real treat as he is a chocolate lover too.  Mine turned out a little denser than Barry's, but Hubby says it is very tasty.

Reinventing the basket block

Inspiration for basket block quilts is all over the net. One of the most popular basket blocks was designed by the gals at Blackbird Designs. I've enjoyed seeing versions of it ever since it appeared in their book When the Cold Wind Blows back in 2013.
.
                                    

After making the summer basket hanging last year,  I figure it is time to try out another kind of basket block.  Since all my scrap containers are scattered around the sewing room, perhaps I can use up some more scraps in the bargain

I began by trying to draw the kind of basket I wanted. Then making a template.

I had to include this photo because I liked seeing the sunshine across my sewing table.  I'm trying not to make the basket too small as then I would need so many hundreds to make any size quilt-if I ever get it to that stage.
This is Block Number 1 and I'm using needleturn applique.  When I finish stitching the handle later on today, I'll know if this fits the 8 inch background fabric (which is not coming from scraps).


Playing with my Photos...which I don't do enough of.

It was fun to work through my photo files and make this little collage. The wild rabbit is one I watched in older Daughter's back yard, the woodpecker is spotted frequently here, Hubby on one of our trails, and the back yard still smothered in March snow.

But this month is getting tucked away. Temperatures above zero today and the cardinals singing sweetly on our morning walk.  So we are "resonant with hopes of spring" this second last Sunday in March.

Linking this post with Kathy's QuiltsLetting Go the Bay LeafPretty PineyViewing Nature With Eileen, Quilting is More Fun Than Housework,and So Scrappy.

25 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is the book I have for the basket quilt I made. There are other patterns in it I would like to make one day! Thanks for the recipe link, I don't do a lot of baking anymore but that cake sounds good to me!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sweet little bits of GREEN in your new Basket block. Personally, I'm allergic to hand applique. Have fun with that!!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Cool basket and a cool bunny too. I sure am glad to hear your hubby is doing so well.

Libby in TN said...

I know what you mean about the kitchen drawer. We just designate it the Junk Drawer. Mine is a tiny drawer in a roll-around island so it can't get too out of control.

K Reeves said...

We have a junk drawer too, and a "tool" drawer, sort of.😳 So glad things are back to normal at your house, and the thaw is on at last. We actually had rain twice this weekend and it really moved the melt into its final stages!

Nana said...

Those baskets will look great, I know that for sure.

Nana

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I have recently cleaned out the kitchen drawers. Next is my computer desk drawer. I love your cute bunny and the woodpecker. It is great to hear the birds singing early in the morning, spring has spring. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day! Have a happy new week!

Jenn Jilks said...

Good luck with the baskets. It looks like it would be lovely!
The bunny is so cute! I have someone who like to correct me as to rabbit or hare! Now, they are always bunnies...

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love that old fashioned quilt pattern and you are so smart to make one to use! Love that sweet little rabbit and the downy! Sure looks cold there! Hope the sun comes out and warms things! Hugs!

Becca // Pretty Piney Quilts said...

Your inspiration quilt is lovely, and I can't wait to see your version. Your basket is filled with the hope of spring! It's getting ever closer.... Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - welcome to Mosaic Monday!!! I am so honored that you would make the time to join us, and with such a delightful mosaic, too. I can't stop looking at that bunny, it is so adorable with it's coating of snow! I love the picture of the sunlight on your table ... my normal spot at the kitchen table gets scads of morning sunshine! I hope your week keeps resonating with Spring!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love the shape of your baskets! That bunny photo made my day, so cute! Have a great day!

Allie said...

I'm so very glad hubby is doing so well, hon, what a scare. Your basket is DARLING!!!! And great pictures, too!

Allie said...

And look, I can comment on your blog now, I'm SO HAPPY!!!!

Powell River Books said...

Hello from the west coast. My sister is the quilt maker, I'm just the enjoyer. - Margy

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad to hear you hubby is doing well and able to enjoy such a delicious-looking cake. Cute basket too - are you planning to fill it with flowers? I, too, am glad to start seeing the backside of winter. The vultures are back over the river (not everybody likes vultures, but to me they are poetry in motion when they're flying).

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Having been retired a year, more or less, I'm better at putting things back at place. Not by much, but still is an improvement. :-) I like your basket template. You make template-making seem easy to do.

riitta k said...

That pretty basket pattern needs a huge amount of work! So glad your husband is fine <3

Judy S. said...

Glad your DH is doing well; bet that cake made his day. It does sound yummy, especially the chocolate chips part. Love your basket pattern and your photos!

moosecraft said...

That Blackbird Designs basket quilt has been on my quilty bucket list since 2013! lol! You did a fine job on your basket version! These one block quilts always looks so traditional and calming...looking forward to seeing more progress!

Verna G said...

I have really admired the lily blocks that you made. I wonder if you can tell me where the directions are for these or if you can just give me the measurements for the block pieces. Love your blog!

Verna G said...

I have really admired the lily blocks that you made. I wonder if you can tell me where the directions are for these or if you can just give me the measurements for the block pieces. Love your blog!

LA Paylor said...

love the basket quilt and your design. There is just something about a basket quilt. The bunny pic is precious. I like dense cake, lots so I'd like the one with dates for sure.

Jean said...

Sounds like our kitchen drawer collection to a point. I always throw our take-out sauce packets in the fridge in ziploc bags. Was just asking my husband if he thought they expired. We have quite the collection. Love the photo collage with the snow covered bunny & woodpecker.

Karen said...

That little lamp on the spool......perfect!