Sunday 17 March 2019

Online Fusses, SAL, A Truly Canadian Bird

Hubby, having eaten his oatmeal breakfast, has retired to his computer eager to finish making a sale online.  I've told you how he has driven motorcycles all his life but gave it a break last summer after having a little mishap the year before. Here with one of his pride and joys.
 But he has longed to return to the road and his brush with mortality last month has spurred him onward in achieving that.  He is buying something called a Ryker, a 3 wheeled vehicle that I must admit seems like just the ticket if a 79 year old is insisting on motorcycling still.  Just hope so.

                                   Image result for ryker
It has put a spring in his step and a smile on his face, so what can I say.

What do you make of this?
One of my Facebook quilting groups has had a fuss.
  Someone posted well wishes for the New Zealand folks in the wake of that awful massacre and someone else took umbrage with using a quilting site to spout politics. The ensuing squabbling was swift and not very nice.  I read a little and wondered myself about it. My initial reaction is to think that a disaster/massacre is not politics per se and being kind, caring people, expressing support would be what we naturally do.  I can see if your quilting blog is a business one, you wouldn't want to go there as such, but even then wouldn't a word or two be fine.
 But then I believe people when they say they get enough bad news without facing it in their happy spaces which our blogs and stitching groups usually tend to be.  I don't know, but we who resoundingly don't condone such acts cannot afford to turn away without so much as a word. Can we?
You know I am a live and let live kind of person so I see both sides.  What do you think?

In my stitching news...
Look at my little scrappy snowmen on the wall.  Actually, finally pleased with them and just in time to stow them away till next winter!  Because I am sincerely hoping snowman weather is behind us.


I used a little scallop stitch and loop stitch on my fancy machine and some straight walking foot lines.
( I groaned when I saw how skewed inward there at the bottom it looks; after seeing this photo I had to go back to the block and examine it...it is straight as you can see above, I promise! )
And moving along nicely with my Cornwall Cottage piece too.  Loved stitching that alphabet, easy stitching. The basket will be pesky though as two colours alternate.  That little outlined box is to record my name and date, something I've never done before on a piece.

The SAL hosted by Avis at Sewing Beside the Sea is working well for me...encouragement to work on this project each month.  I hope you will check out these amazing stitchers who are also busily stitching away.
AvisClaireGunCaroleLucyAnnJessSueConstanzeDebbieroseChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHelenStephLindaHeidiJackieSunnyHayleyMeganCatherineDeborahConnieClare, Mary MargaretReneeJennyCarmelaJocelynSharon

Lastly today, I'm sharing a photo I took at Daughter's house...a junco sitting on her back deck. Juncos are typical northern birds with dark plumage and black eyes. It is a truly Canadian bird as it is found in every province and territory. Here they hang around all winter and benefit from my "ugly gardening", foraging on left over bits from the flower beds and bushes which I love to see.


Kudos to them for being so hardy!
 Some fun shopping purchases to show you next time.
Pleased to be posting to Kathy's QuiltsSo ScrappySmall Quilts and Doll QuiltsLove Laugh Quilt , Cooking Up QuiltsSew Fresh Quilts and Viewing Nature With Eileen.







 


23 comments :

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I guess the big question is - when hubby gets his new vehicle, will you ride along? :) I love your snowmen! They look like they were so much fun to stitch, and I like how you've put them together. Juncos are a favorite bird of ours, too - they are so pretty! The funny thing here is that they only come to visit during a snowstorm - not sure where they hang out the rest of the time. I have those kinds of kerfuffles in other online groups, and I don't quite ever understand the reason people get all bent out of shape. It doesn't seem that offering thoughts and prayers to people who've endured a tragedy would be political, does it?

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well I had mentioned the shooting and put a poem on the blog that is about being nice to people and it was written for being nice to all "colors' and I added that it should extend to all religions and sexual orientation - I had a nasty comment that I deleted that said she agreed about all but the last part that I put in and that God doesn't agree with me! and she went on a little bit - I had never heard from the person before and deleted her comment as it is my blog and I didn't care for what she said. I think a lot of times we can't keep our feelings out of our blog as it is our blog and our daily life and we feel sad when these mass shootings take place. I don't like to get into politics as that is something I could really give my views on if I really wanted to and I don't want to get into it on my blog.
I love your husband's bike and I must say he sure is a nice looking man!!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, motorcycles make me nervous. Great photo of your hubby! I am sure they are fun rides, just not for me. Your quilt blocks are beautiful, love the snowmen. Cute shot of the Junco. Thanks for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day! Have a great new week ahead!

Nancy J said...

Maybe this is a group I don't visit. At times like this world wide comfort and care is so needed and has been received in massive amounts from everyone and everywhere. Maybe the person who objected had a different opinion and thoughts. I received a lovely email from a friend's friend, a lady I had not met on my blog before, but her words were from her heart. Love the three wheeler, it should be a whole lot safer. And the blocks, they look great up there on the wall.

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

Your stitching is really coming along. Brilliant progress! It looks gorgeous :-)

Brian's Home Blog said...

That is some fancy ride! Love the snowmen, that’s the best kind!

Libby in TN said...

I'm not a fan of 2-wheelers, but those trykes look like a fun (and relatively safe) ride. Gotta love those fat little Juncos!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The Junco is such a sweet winter bird! We don't have them this far South. LOVE all of your stitching...what a gift you have! Enjoy your week sweet lady!

Snickelfritz said...

I go to certain sites to get away from the news and the tragedy of the world for a while and really don't like it creeping into what are usually happy places. There are blogs if you want to voice your opinion, but pages for just one thing, like Christmas or quilting should be kept just that in my opinion. If not, we could never get away to our happy places. None of us will agree with everyone about everything all the time. So, let's keep our happy places happy.

Cathy said...

On my walk yesterday I was passed by someone on a bike just like that. Good for him. As for what is on a blog that is up to the blogger, you ca always not read/comment on content you don't like. Hurrah for free speech. And if you don't like a comment well delete it. And I am very sorry for anyone who is the victim of another's malice.

G Adrian, Sweden said...

Great progress!

Out To Pasture said...

Oh gosh, just got a case of machine envie! I wonder what the engine sounds like. Your snowmen are really charming and will bring smiles for winters to come. Well done! Yes, our juncos are indeed sweet little birds. They are still around my feeders. Yes, shameful mass murder in N.Z. Hate crimes should be dealt with severely.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Kudos to hubby. I agree with your comments on not ignoring the world events while blogging. I don't blog to make people happy. I just like to share important stuff in my life with family and friends. I can't ignore events that affect me. I don't feel "wishing others well" is political. I think some commenters just want to complain. That's just my feeling. Your snowmen are just adorable and I appreciate this post! mary

Claire93wordpress said...

love the colours of your cross stitch piece!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Expressing sympathy to possible New Zealand members of your group isn't political, it's compassionate. We need as much love in this world as we can share. Your pieces look great! The three wheeler for hubby seems like a good compromise.

O'Quilts said...

My goodness... Why argue with someone..If they want to express themselves, let it be without comment...Why be nasty on a quilting blog?
Thx for the post..safe rides for hubby

chrisknits said...

Hubster had a Harley ages ago, he sold it and looks longingly now and then, but his recent desire is a 2017 Anniversary Bumblebee Camaro. He's found one, never owned before, but he's trying to get the price to where he wants it. LOL As to the FB group. I just don't understand why people can't just not read stuff they object to. And if you do go ahead and read it, just don't comment on it. If the discussion was hijacked and all of it was about the NZ event, then the admin should corral it. But if it's one comment and over, why get upset over it. People need to get a life. I am with you, live and let live.

Jenn Jilks said...

Wow. I'm hoping my hubby stops driving at that age. He's 70 this year, so he better enjoy it!
I love the snowmen.
Re: dragging that horrid incident into a quilting group, I believe it is in poor taste. There are lots of places to show empathy. One needs a happy place.
Personally, I have to turn the news off. You'll notice I didn't talk about it on my blog. It can be a trigger for depression for me. I have to pace my news information.

moosecraft said...

Congrats to hubby! Wishing him many happy & safe miles! :-) Great pic of the little Junco...so cute! Always enjoy seeing pics of your beautiful stitches!

Renee said...

Beautiful stitching and I LOVE your snowmen! As for Facebook... It seems even the most innocent posts can turn into heated conversations, so I find myself thankful for the groups that require comments to remain on topic. My heart goes out to those affected by the tragic events in New Zealand and in The Netherlands recently.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never been a fan of motorcycles, but have to admit the three-wheeled ones look a whole lot safer. Your DH is going to love it I"m sure. As for the facebook blowups - they seem to be happening everywhere and over the smallest things. Nobody has patience for anybody else anymore, no matter what the issue. Trying to be nice to someone seems to often result in a backlash of epic proportions. Just last week we had to call the police because two guys were having a fist fight in the parking lot - all over the way one of them parked. Honestly - what's WRONG with people!! Thank goodness we have our stitching to fall back on to calm our nerves.

Magpie Sue said...

I've been throwing my canary's leftover seeds out in our yard every morning for a long time now. The sparrows come all year round to scratch them up and consume them. I've noticed a junco joining them during the last two winters. :-) I think everyone is about done with the snow this year, with the possible exception of those who like to ski down mountains. I had my fill of snow growing up in Michigan so I don't have snowmen images in my home! Your wall hanging is cute though. Looking forward to seeing your sampler finished (someday!).

Nancy said...

I love your husband's motorcycle. How sad that he has to give it up but understandable after his health scare! Glad he's doing well. Does the 3-wheeler have a place for you to sit?
I think your snowmen look great. Love the little fox you added.
Your Cornwall Cottage is beautiful. Counted cross stitch is one of those crafts I've never tried. I don't think my eyes could handle it these days.
Juncos! I love juncos. They are some of the cutest little birds. We see them here in Ohio sometimes but usually only where there are feeders. We used to have feeders but ended up with too many squirrels and a few rats. Ugh. (And ugly!)