Sunday 3 March 2019

Owls,OMG's, Other Things

Winter, the Huntsman, is still riding through his iron glade here outside Ottawa, Canada. We are very much a winter wonderland with narry a sighting of spring to be seen even with these hopeful eyes.  For I am starting to think this is enough now.  Let's move to the next season please.

Indoors there has been baking and reading going on and tending to my little garden.  A sunny week has perked them up.

And stitching too.  The slow kind with the counted cross stitching daily and this too.
Bonhommes en Chapeaux is now a basted sandwich with some quilting lines made. My OMG for March at Elm Street Quilts will be to have this all quilted and finished. I also want to finish quilting this block of my Kim McLean Glorious Applique project.

Outdoors it is massively icy and dangerous.  Cleats on my boots is the only way I'm venturing on the trails and even then, I'm being careful.  It doesn't make the walking so enjoyable when you have to be mindful of every step but I am loving the fresh air in the sunshine which is warm to the back.

 News of A Mystery Quilt Along that is starting soon... Jennifer at The Inquiring Quilter has posted all the details of a new mystery Sewing and Quilting themed project.  Thirteen blocks with lots of design partners, support and loads of prizes not only for American participants but for international folks too. March 12 will be the reveal of the first block.

Now for what has been exciting the bird lover side of me.
 Our barred owl paid us a lengthy visit this week, sitting for hours in the big tree by the garage right in front of my kitchen window!!  I stood on the veranda and got photos plus this little video. Sorry for the shaky start and end but it was cold to the hands. This Windows 7 won't allow editing of videos.

The photo just below shows you how far I am from the feeder when I talk about taking photos through the kitchen window.  It is kind of far. White arrow in the trees shows the owl and the other arrow is pointing to the feeder.  That's Hubby looking at the mail.



He (the owl, not Hubby!) was basking in the sun while occasionally looking at the feeder. I watched him take two swoops at that area with no luck catching one of the four red squirrels that stayed around totally unaware of danger. I have no idea if there was any success in that regard eventually or not. We seem to still have our full complement of squirrels!


Having trouble uploading the video. I will keep working on it!


That made my day. 












21 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love seeing your owl what a beauty! I wish I would see them around here but I rarely even hear them. We have a red tail hawk that is living in our area sometimes when we go out the front door we can hear him swooping above the house - almost like he waits to hear the door open before he flies from one area to the next. I have seen him several times now. So much snow that you have - hope it all starts to melt soon. So many places have so much. Our daughter in WI rarely even post photos of the snow now that she has lived there for over 10 years I guess she is no longer impressed with it but just wants it to be gone!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'm with you on moving on to the next season please! Your Bonhommes en Chapeaux is so much fun - I bet they will be a pleasure to quilt. Great photo of the owl! I enjoyed having an owl in our yard last year - hope to see him again!

Brian's Home Blog said...

That owl is such a wonderous critter!

LA Paylor said...

I do not like the mincing little careful steps on ice either. It snowed again, another 6.8" to join last weekend's 8.5" that's now ice. More tonight. It's so hard to wear cleats when you go from icy, to clear sidewalk, back to deep snow. Your windows are a godsend right? Bringing in light and nature.

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful owl photo!
Enjoy your quilting today... winter is almost over!

Out To Pasture said...

Wow, your newest camera really has a good telephoto lens. The barred owl's eyebrows look almost human. I hope it sticks around and you get to hear it's call, 'Who cooks you? Who cooks for you all?'

Rebecca in AK said...

Yes, Spring is a ways off yet for us in the North, but aleast the sun is back. My plants are loving it too. Are you going to hand quilt your snowman quilt? Beautiful owl! We have a Great Horned owl that visits us occasionally.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love your Barred owl. I love all the owls. Great photos. Your plants have a nice spot near the sunshine and window. We had more snow yesterday, I hope it melts fast. Thank you for linking up your post. Happy Monday, enjoy your day. Have a great new week!

Marja said...

Hello Joycelyn, You meant the last picture with all the samplers? It is my collection 'old schoolhouse samplers' pinned on an old bed sheet, just to make it easier to look at. If you mean another one I would like to hear from you.


junieper2 said...

A great capture of the owl and your reading corner, Jocelyn. From the image with your hubby - where you live, looks like mine - mountainous and snowy (of course, the snow in California is very short lived -2 weeks, haha) Love your cheerful snowman quilte, and like the colors of the other you are making - hope we at All Seasons get to see the end result sometime! Thank you for giving us a peek of your daily life in winter and have a beautiful week!

Patty said...

Lovely quilt. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

That's so neat. He, the Owl, looks quite pleased about something.

betty-NZ said...

What a cute little owl, but Hubby sure looks cold!

Kim said...

Surely Spring will come aknocking at your door soon.Your wintry wonderland all in white is beautiful. Love your Kim Mclean Glorious Applique quilt. It is brimming with beautiful colour.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh - that owl is magnificent!!!! So lucky to be able to get a photo of one. I'm with you in hoping for spring - enough of this winter already.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Oh my goodness- I can't believe you got those photos! What a beautiful view you have, also. Hang in there and keep warm. mary

Rebecca Grace said...

Gosh, that owl is beautiful! Are you familiar with the children's picture book "Owl Moon," by Jane Yolen? https://www.amazon.com/Owl-Moon-Jane-Yolen/dp/0399214577/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1FB40M9L22AG0&keywords=owl+moon&qid=1551797799&s=gateway&sprefix=owl+moon%2Caps%2C127&sr=8-2.

We used to read that at bedtime with my boys when they were little. That's what your owl picture reminded me of, and your husband all bundled up in the cold looks so much like the daddy in the story who takes his child out to listen for owls on the cold winter night.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I would love to see an owl in the wild! I keep thinking on my hikes I might see one...I'm still hoping! Love your stitching. Oh what pretty snowmen! Oh and SNOW...the real thing! It's cooler here but we don't have snow this far South! Stay warm! Hugs, Diane PS I love hearing about your walking trails!

Angie said...

Jocelyn - I am so jealous that you have an owl so close that you can take a picture from your house. But at least I can enjoy it vicariously through you. I hope he stays around, and maybe he can clear off a couple of those pesky squirrels! I am not quite ready for spring - still enjoying skiing and snowshoeing around here!

Jenn Jilks said...

Is this ever fun! I love the arrows, it really helps.
I could hear the jays harassing my owl today.

Nancy said...

You owl! He is absolutely gorgeous. We don't live in the country like you do but we once had a small owl sitting on the roof of our porch -- just once. We couldn't see him well as it was dusk. He would have flown away had we tried. The video isn't there to watch, don't know what happened.