Thursday 28 February 2019

Thursday Things

Hubby's memory is short for the old days whereas mine seems to be growing longer all the time.  I feel like I remember everything from the past which is definitely nonsense.  But I do hold in memory names, old comments, scenes, events.  I've had several "I can't believe I just said that" moments but thankfully long ago, that are also not forgotten to me. Do you have words you wish you could take back?

What is a ski-doo? someone asked. Here is a photo of our two seater snowmobile.  It's great for getting around in wintertime snow. I used one similar to this to go get my groceries when I lived in the far north. I'm sorry I forget that some of you in other countries, especially warmer ones, would not be familiar with what we take totally for granted.  This is used to flatten our snowy trails for walking and they are fun to drive and ride too.

I love these Folk Art Wooden Sewing caddies which make me think of ingenuity, recycling, and hand work.  The scissors forming the beaks are so neat and the hand carved crochet hooks are ingenious.
 This post at Country Threads has photos of many more.  For some reason this reminded me of Little House on the Praire, a series I enjoyed watching with my girls when they were young.  Did you?  I also loved reading that Michael Landon was just as nice in real life as he seemed to be on the show.
                     
 "Dozing off, the book slips out of my hand." A line from a poem and something that has never happened to me.
I've whined before to you about sleeping woes. Lately, I'm happy to say I've been sleeping better and I have no explanation for that.  Maybe some worries are fading, the grandkids growing up, family more settled, time dulling my senses, LOL; I don't know and I don't want to examine it too much. Just let it be.

I did not make my OMG for February as stated at Elm Street Quilts, that was to finish all the Quaker half motifs in the border of the Cornwall Cottage Sampler.  But I'm not sad at all because I was able to have my Quakers meet up; they are not all stitched but I came very close.

Without Google Plus, comments are turning up in my email account so I've been replying there in case you have wondered. And I am delighted that some who were not able to comment before, can now do so.
 In response to a recent post, we've had some chats about tea, tea versus coffee, heirloom tea cups, etc. All interesting to me.
Also I've had several people mention tea blocks to piece, applique or embroider of one kind or another; thank you for that.  It is a very popular theme, it seems.

I subscribe to The Patchsmith and Amanda is nearing the end of her Patchsmith Sampler Sew Along.  Block 49, as it happens, is this very pretty one.  She has quite a knack for piecing and putting fabrics together.

                                     

And speaking of patching, I have squared up and  joined my Lily blocks.
 I think I mentioned I hand stitched a lot of my scrap bin reds together. I really want to work these strips into the border somehow.
 Looking at them on the wall hoping to get some ideas on how exactly to do that.  I guess I'll figure that out...hopefully I hang onto my confidence long enough to do so!

Below new to our house for Christmas this year from Wayfair.  So perfect. Just like Murphy and with birds, as it happens all birds to be found here in Ontario.
I must close this post. My editor (Hubby) will say it is too long. Hope you are enjoying the ending to another good week.

Linking this post with Not Afraid of ColorQuilt FabricationKatie Mae QuiltsThe Inquiring QuilterIt's A Small Town LifeBrian's Home BLog, and My Quilt Infatuation.


24 comments :

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, I love that last picture of Murphy with the birds. Very sweet and that would definitely make me smile all the time. I do remember well the ski-doo and rode one often as a youngster. I also seem to have a memory for all things past, and was just lamenting to myself over some words that I wished I hadn't said but can never take back. Too late smart my dad used to always say, and why one should think before speaking. At least I've learned that lesson moving forward! I love that block #49 you shared above - I have on my to-do list a tea inspired quilt for a coworker. ~smile~ Roseanne

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love your Ski--Doo I never was on one but have heard of them and seen them in the northern states - I moved away from the northern states in 1980 and I do think they were gaining popularity then? When one of my nieces was teaching in a remote area of Alaska for two years awhile back they used snowmobiles which are different but still a bit the same I suppose. When one teacher would be leaving the area to come back to the lower 48 they would sell the snowmobile to the new teacher coming in and round and round it would go.

Brian's Home Blog said...

We love Murphy and the birds too...and the snowmobile! Oh, the good old days. A friend of our posted the other day that she missed the good old days because she wasn't good and she wasn't old! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Suzanne said...

Murphy and the birds are just perfect! I really like the Lily quilt too.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I absolutely LOVE seeing the beautiful things you make and those cute sewing caddies! I love the vintage things too. Enjoy your afternoon!

Nancy J said...

Recently a friend had her family from B.C. stay, they live in Ymir, south of Nelson near Kootenay Mountain. They use a skidoo regularly, to get to the corner for the school bus, and more..Left NZ which was in the high 20's, occasionally 30C to go home to -18C, and feet of snow.We here find it hard to imagine that.Lovely strips and all else today , the reds are lovely.

Catscue Cat Mom said...

Everything is so beautiful - a master's hand at work.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the sewing caddies are so cute. I love your Lily blocks and the cute dog with the birds. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead.

Jenny said...

Not too long at all it's always nice to read your thoughts. I am one who can now comment directlty. Previously you came through as a non reply blogger and I had to send a comment to your email address, which you kindly gave me.

Michelle said...

Awwww...love Murphy with the birds. I know you will enjoy that so much. Thank you for linking up today.

Magpie Sue said...

Looks like you're making good progress on your project for the SAL. And I love all your red lily blocks!

PaintedThread said...

I like your progress - the embroidery is pretty, and the lily blocks look great. Love the dog and birds!

Scrapatches said...

Your patchwork and cross stitching is beautiful. Are the running stitch lines in your Cottage Sampler temporary ones to help you find with your count? I am recently back to cross stitching after a forty year lapse and was never much more that a beginner. Your stitching is wonderful. In our house, my hubby is the one with the long term memories and mine are more immediate. I love it when he brings back something that is a distant fog in the corner of my mind.. I have to remind him to take the grocery list when he goes out the door to shop. We make a good pair. It has been a happy Thursday of blog reading ... :-) Pat

Yvonne said...

Beautiful block 49 and lilly's. Love the old wooden sewing caddies. My daughter and I watched all episodes of the Little House several times and I think we cried at each one of them. Sweet memories!

Nancy said...

I just love your lily blocks, Jocelyn. They will make a beautiful quilt. My memory -- getting worse all the time, little by little. And yes, there are times when I wish I could take back words. I never intend to offend but words come out wrong or my intention is misconstrued. I'm still a work in progress!

Michele McLaughlin said...

That print is lovely of the dog and birds :) I have a few of those sewing caddies and they remind me of my great grandmother's house in the coal regions of Pennsylvania. I like seeing your snowmobile and learning what you use it for. I'm a city girl so I had no idea how important that would be! Have a wonderful week and stay warm!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always enjoy seeing all your handwork, and patchwork, too, Jocelyn! You work on such pretty pieces. Those wooden sewing caddies are really neat, and so is the print of the dog and birds!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

OK who is the painter in the family! Love that picture and your post is fine. I enjoyed looking at your progress and prjects! Stay warm and thank you for the cold air! I love it - there will be enough 100's this summer in South Texas!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

You've certainly made progress on a lot of projects! Congratulations. Love the Lily blocks. And that old sewing caddy sings to me as well. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Jean said...

Glad you are sleeping better. A good night's sleep is priceless, even more so when you've been missing it. Love that picture with the dog and birds, so cute! Hope you are having a great Friday night so far!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Foot in mouth disease, I have it. I've gotten better, so I think. I like your Lily blocks and the squares of red. So cool. Yesterday I discovered that pinning up my work on a wall to see where I am is very satisfying.

Binsa said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your post. The lily blocks will be gorgeous when pieced

LA Paylor said...

ahhhh I always love your posts, long and full of goodies. Cute lab art! I often fall asleep when reading at night, and wake when the book hits me. Love your red scrappy quilt and the border.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

What fun things to read about this time! Seeing those duck sewing items brought back memories because my dad made a few of those back in the day. Re sleeping woes - we just got another air purifier for the bedroom (have one in the living room already) and the 'white noise' seems to help with sleeping....at least once I get to sleep that is. Most nights it's well after 2 before I drop off, but at least I'm not waking up every few minutes now.