Sunday 17 February 2019

Kaffe Tea Pots, Crochet, Red in Birds and Stitching, Cornwall Cottage

Tea cups and time pieces, once so important, are now to be found in the thrift shops.
 I have a few tea cups here inherited from first wife. I remember the only English lady in a tiny village I was teaching in showing me how to pour tea properly so everyone got the same strength in their cup. I took that knowledge to heart.  I remember Dad telling us that in the Korean war, any time they camped with English troops, tea would be offered and to his surprise, even to those injured.

Hubby would definitely second this!
Image result for tea hierarchy
 And growing up in Newfoundland, there was always a pot of tea sitting on the stove.  I drank my first cup of coffee at age 26 when I got to teach with mainlanders in the Arctic. Today, we have a cup of coffee in the morning, but switch to tea for the rest of the day.

During my watercolours research, I came across this- the famous Wedgewood Cuckoo Peach tea cup. At $60 C is a steal compared to                                                  Cuckoo Peach Teacup & Saucer
This one...the Ming Dynasty tea cup featuring a common rooster that is worth amazingly $36 million US!
                          
I always look through the tea cup shelf in thrift stores. Some are so pretty but I don't buy them.  Never one for flavoured teas, I have recently embraced several kinds including peppermint tea because it does help settle the stomach and aid with sleeping.

Pinterest site with loads of patterns of cups and pots to quilt and some time I intend to make something with one of those patterns.  I did make a tea cloth with cups once...must try to find it.
It will pale in comparison to this gorgeous piece by talented Maureen at the Mystic Quilter. A sight for my eyes in this white world of mine right now. Visit her blog to see other amazing quilts!

                                       
I got my wooly package of Stylecraft DK from across the pond. I ordered it through Lucy's blog Attic 24 as I like to support those of you using your blog for income. It came in Wool Warehouse packaging, a pretty gossamer bag. The biggest challenge I will face with beginning the Sweet Pea Blanket will be casting on the correct number of stitches.  I think I figured out a way to mark every 50 stitches last time.

Almost all my bird photos taken in winter are through a window shots. Given the usual temperatures, can you blame me! This one of a cardinal would have had more value if not for that maybe. A lone male has been visiting the feeder area for a couple of weeks. Why just the one? Is this my messager from heaven?

I've made it down to the corner and ever so slightly turning round the bend on my Cornwall Cottage sampler. I love when progress is visible. A little stitching every day adds up, it really does.

I've also started joining some of my scrappy red squares for the border of Lilies. I just can't throw out pretty tins like this Russell Stover one.  It came in handy to hold my little red and pink squares.

This is more hand stitching but enjoyable without the counting.  However, I'm trying my darndest to keep the stitches tiny and even. Great practice!


A sunny Sunday but cold. Nevertheless, the sun streaming in the windows is so welcome.
So happy to link this post with Viewing Nature With Eileen, So ScrappySew Can SheLove Laugh QuiltPretty PineyWild Bird Wednesday and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework. Thank you all for hosting!





















19 comments :

Nancy J said...

I agree, Maureen's teapots are delightful, and extra special as she is only a few hours north of us, right here in NZ.Your cardinal, that is a superb shot, looks like he is soaring so high near the clouds, an illusion maybe as he would be nearer the snow on the ground. Surely it will be warmer soon up there.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think you will like working with the yarn, it is nice to work with. The tea cups are wonderful. I drink coffee in the morning and switch to tea also but I have never liked black tea hot or cold - my daughter tells me it is the tanins? in the tea that I don't like - seeing as she is a tea drinker I will believe her, I do like peppermint and spearmint tea and several green teas and white as long as I don't let it seep long - love the cardinal too!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your cardinal photo is wonderful! I'm always so impressed when photographers can catch a bird in flight. Your British Hierarchy of Needs is a hoot! We like both coffee and tea at our house. Enjoy your stitching today, Jocelyn!

Jenny said...

Your sweet pea blanket will be so pretty, I have seen a couple in other blogs so you will be in good company while you work on your.
As for tea versus coffee, we have a cup of tea for breakfast, then coffee the rest of the day. Occasionally I have lemon tea, nice on a hot day. Nothing beats a cup of coffee from a cafe though, a nice creamy latte, yummy. Think I may have a problem with them.

Jocelyn said...

I have collected tea cups over the years. Mostly Made in England. I used to host teas/brunch for friends and shared my love of tea with an assortment of different tea cups. It's a fun way to entertain. I don't buy many anymore, only ones that are rare to me. We don't find them in thrift stores here anymore. Mostly Antique shops.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Love that pyramid chart - and it's oh so true. My DH is a tea person whereas I prefer coffee. Usually it's coffee in the am and we switch to tea the rest of the day. I have a few cups that once belonged to my grandmother plus a set of 12 Royal Albert Trillium pattern cups. I never use them but they're pretty to look at.

Angie in SoCal said...

Same here. The sun was most welcome to shine in through the windows. But now, it has changed. The clouds have moved in and it's raining. Tomorrow there will be sun. So interesting about the tea cups. I love tea.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Thise tea cups are beautiful and amazing!

Michele McLaughlin said...

I just love this post. That British Hierarch diagram made me laugh outloud :) Gotta show that to Mom. Have a great day and stay warm! :)

Nana said...

I love those cardinals. We don´t have them in Germany.

Nana

eileeninmd said...

Hello, love the tea cups. It is a good idea to check the thrift stores for your rare finds. I am a coffee drinker but I do enjoy tea once in awhile. Love your pretty cardinal photo. Thanks for the visit. Enjoy your day and have a great week ahead!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I think I need to make the teapot quilt with my KF stash. Oh my.

Diana said...

Love all the teacup and teapot quilts!

johnypoipet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becca // Pretty Piney Quilts said...

You've been busy! I, too, have taken lots of through the window shots lately. I can't wait to start seeing daffodils poking through the soil. Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday!

moosecraft said...

That little cardinal is stunning! Very nice of him to bring some color to your winter window! :-) Love that Russel Stover tin... that one is definitely a keeper! Great progress on your hand piecing....so much patience!

Tanza Erlambang said...

awesome stitches and photos.
have a great day

LA Paylor said...

I enjoyed the tea talk... do you try to drink decaf during the afternoons? I love tea and cups and that quilt s so so so pretty. I can see you making one too. Hand piecing little straight seams... it's not that easy to keep the stitches tiny and regular. You made me think of times I shared with Ginny Beyer in her studio in VA, she loves to hand piece, can eye a quarter inch seam, and is as regular as a machine! LeeAnna

Nina Hobbysite said...

I love teacups. I have a lot old english ones (royal albert). I found them in thrift stores. In the Netherlands isn't hard too found old english teacups. (Sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand)