Sunday 24 February 2019

Baking, Birds, Books and Stitching

The still early darkness is making long evenings, even longer nights for sleep, leisurely mornings for us retirees, comforting ourselves with food and hot drinks all the while. Sort of housebound but in reality not. This winter seems to be going on long without a break, not giving us any hint of an end in sight just yet.
We are comfortable though and only uncomfortable from our own doing...over eating and not walking as far or as long. The urge to treat yourself seems stronger when the outside weather is cold and too much treat type food has found its way into my cupboards. No one to blame for that but myself and the store that had Lays chips on special 2 for 1.  Salt will usually win over sugar for me.

And speaking of comforting food, I made a massive apple crisp. I used this recipe from Amanda at the wonderful I Am Baker site- it sandwiches the fruit between two layers of the crisp mixture which is my favourite part.

 A great little video and her other videos are wonderful too.

Perfect with a dollop of cream...
Anyway, a good season to sit in my pet chair by the large window and stitch which has led me to this point as of today with my Cornwall Cottage Sampler. Pleased with this progress.
Will I be able to close that gap by the 28th?? Fingers will have to be busy all this week! Having all these half quakers finished by then is my February OMG at Elm Street Quilts. Ummm looking tight.

So happy to be participating in the SAL hosted by Avis at Sewing Beside the Sea, the perfect encouraging group to get this project finished. Such wonderful stitching and interesting projects to be seen by these fine stitchers:-
AvisClaireGunCaroleLucyAnnKateJessSueConstanzeDebbieroseChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHelenStephLinda,HeidiJackieSunnyHayleyMeganCatherineDeborahConnieClare, Mary MargaretReneeJennyCarmelaJocelynSharon

Stitching pairs perfectly with audio books!
The Silent Patient by British author, Alex Michaelides.. Truthfully, so far I don't see what all the fuss has been about but apparently, the ending will be heart stopping. ( Don't mean to sound a bit snarky there but so many books are not delivering for me these days, which I know is just me.)

I've been on the trail of these guys below. Grouse are funny birds; here we almost step on one before it explodes into the air and away. The flurry is almost frightening and drives the dogs crazy.  I spy one or two in the trees but not very often.
Murphy spotted these first; I didn't know what they were, with their feathers all puffed out like this to keep warm. I enlarged the photo on the computer and could see they were Ruffed Grouse.  I read they withstand our frigid winter temperatures by growing extra feathers around their nostrils to warm the air they breathe. Isn't nature grand! Now if only we could do that! I asked Hubby what are our special adaptations and he said our brains. 😊
That one on the bottom looks like he's about to burst! Love their expressions.

Hope you are keeping warm or cool as your climate dictates! And thank you all for stopping by; I love hearing from you and getting to know you even just a little bit.

Happily linking with Kathy's Quilts, Stitch All the Things where Christine introduces us to her new updated sewing room,and The Jesh Studio.











32 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will need to check out your apple crisp recipe - I lost an old recipe I had for the crisp part years and years ago and never found a replacement that was the same - most likely because I try to not use lard in anything and as my recipe was from the 60's that is probably what was in it. I will look and see what yours has.
I don't remember ever seeing your stitch your that you show it is so pretty - my daughter does that type and she is so good at it. Our weather has been so very rainy this winter that I have not been outside as much as I would like and find I am in the house too much when I hadn't been helping my daughter out over the past 6 weeks with her medical problems. I really need to get my exercise back on track.
Love your birds - we have a red tail hawk that has made our property it's home - we saw it perched on the end of the deck last week and now off and on when I go outside to get in the car or get the mail I see it swooping over the trees flying around - it seems to like it here out in the country

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

I love the colours in this design and you're making great progress. The apple crisp dish looks very tasty. I'd also choose savoury over sweet on most days but when it's cold outside it's nice to have a sweet treat as well.

Brian's Home Blog said...

That apple crisp sounds yum and it looks like the grouse ate too much of it!

Quilter Kathy said...

Your UFO goal is very stitch intensive! I do hope you have time to finish it...a few more days left in the month. Enjoy!

Quilter Kathy said...

Hey I'm able to comment on your blog now! I wonder what has changed :)

Pyros & Patch said...

Hi! You've done a great job!I love sampler...Happy stitching!

Yvonne said...

That apple crisp looks delicious. Love your cross stitch!

Libby in TN said...

That's some heavy stitching you're up to. I thought the border was fabric until I saw it was incomplete! Absolutely beautiful.

Sunny said...

Your stitching is growing so quickly! I bet you'll make your OMG in time... me, not so much! I'm also jealous of your apple crisp -- probably a good thing I've just come back from the supermarket so I don't go out and get some apples. :)

Nancy J said...

The grouse, clever.. down here a cold morning and tomorrow will be 1C, in our summer.. and they say climate change is real!!! I guess we adapt by turning up or down the heat, adding layers when cold, and having comfort food. And why not, that crumble looks yummy.

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Your apple crisp looks delicious and those grouse are very clever! Your stitching is really beautiful, I love the colours. Jenny x

K Reeves said...

Apple crisp, actually any crisp works for me, yum! Your sample is gorgeous, you have a shot at closing the gap, there's more snow coming, I hear! Love the grouse pictures, they are such interesting birds. Is there a leak near you?

Claire said...

that's a lovely project you're working on and oh, look at those birds all puffed up lol!

Mary Margaret Ripley said...

Oh my that's a stunning project! You are making great progress :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Oh I so agree about the winter months and retirees. I too love salt over sweet and those carb intakes having been winning lately. Hubby went to the doctor who said weather is no excuse. Boo hoo! Glad you can enjoy your stitches

BitsofStitching said...

Your Cornwall Cottage Sampler is looking gorgeous! Thanks for posting the video/recipe, and for sharing those cute birdies!

Junieper2 said...

Welcome to All Seasons -your apple crisp looks like a sure success when I try it! What a lovely winter post:) Am smiling at the grouse- already before reading, I thought it looked super puffed up :):)
Hope this comment gets through, please let me know when it does, when I email you:)
Have a great winter week, and stay warm!

G Adrian, Sweden said...

Love your embroidery!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Is your wall hanging cross stitch or embroidery? It is a work of art! So many colorful flowers and stitches!

It seems that when we get a cold front (nothing like yours) that my cravings for carbs goes off the charts!

I do not think winter is over with - I think I spotted another blast of Artic Air coming into the lower 48 states this next week-end! Easter is late so I think it will be a cold day in April!

cityquilter grace said...

ooh gorgeous sampler...

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Our weather is finally going to change this week. I posted it today cause we are so excited. It's the little things. What a cool idea on that apple crisp. Your sampler is just so pretty! I never heard of a bird warming the air by their nostrils. Very cool- and I think they are pretty birds. Have a great day-mary

Lindashee said...

This looks lovely :D

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you, about the grouse. I seldom grab a photo.
Lovely projects...

Angie said...

Jocelyn - you're not the only one that gets "scared" by the grouse! They are so hard to see, and they do tend to hunker down until the very last second … that loud flutter of multiple grouse is enough to make me - well, you know! Good for you that you actually got a good picture of them! Enjoy your week ahead, with as much Lays as you can eat while trying to stitch with clean hands ...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I am one of the rare people who isn't fond of apple crisp - probably because I grew up with apple pie in the house pretty much all the time (my dad loved it, so my mother spoiled him). Loved seeing the photo of the grouse (grouses?)....they look as though they're trying hard to stay warm.

Nina Hobbysite said...

The cornwall cottage is beautiful. Love the colours.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes! Your comment got through. Thanks for visiting and hosting. I am intrigued by this get together on the net. I love and enjoy all the seasons very much.

Renee said...

Your apple crisp looks yummy! Cornwall Cottage is looking great! Best wishes meeting your goal of February 28th.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Last week the Husband and I bought a bag of potato chips that managed to last 3 days, barely. Since I rarely use salt in my cooking, the potato chips are a big treat for us. Your apple crisp looks delicious. I got in a couple of mornings of gardening. My body feels it today. I'm sure you'll make your goal of finishing the pretty sampler.

Rebecca Grace said...

Ugh -- the Internet ate my comment and now I'm trying again!
Your cottage sampler is MAGNIFICENT! I hope you finish it by the goal you've set, but if you don't, this needlework is definitely worth waiting a little longer!

Lbick said...

Love your summer cottage. Hope you were able to finish by your goal date. If nor I’m sure it will be soon.

Christine Slaughter said...

The apple crisp looks amazing! Your Cornwall Cottage Sampler had me gasping... That. Is. Beautiful!! I just added the pattern to my wish list. I had never seen it before reading this post. Just... WOW!!