Thursday 21 February 2019

Blues, Hand Work, A Flimsy

I'm sharing this photo of our living area to show you the fireplace. The mason who made it passed away in the nursing home at the age of 92 several years ago. We had been told he was very proud of this particular piece of work and took three weeks choosing the stones.
I wonder are kids being encouraged to think of this kind of career these days. Working with your hands is important and as us stitchers all know, endlessly satisfying and rewarding. With all the emphasis on computers, I hope young people are being presented with other options, the ones involving hands on work. I've read several articles lately like this one that says working with your hands is not only good for your heart but also your brain.

This is a new lovely free BOW called Delft Blue and sorry I was late to the start-up.
 Here is the link to the post at Piecing the Past Quilts where you can sign up. They are up to Week 6 now which I just downloaded (past blocks are available for a small fee.)


The patterns are not too difficult and who doesn't love the simple beauty of blue and white together.

I've looked at this book many times- Dutch Treat by Judy Garden...just love the blocks. Available from Amazon here . I'm so tempted but surprising myself with how good I'm being since Christmas.



Good in the finishing of things before starting anything else and Bonhommes en Chapeaux is a flimsy!

I've spent several enjoyable, relaxing evenings adding bits of embroidery.

A Nana Moment
 Ontario celebrated Family Day last Monday and the little grandson went to the annual Family Ice Fishing Derby at White Lake. Fresh air, rosy cheeks, and participation prizes.
                           Image may contain: 1 person, smiling
Certainly no worries about thin ice this year that's for sure.

A Murphy Moment
At the old farm, in the sunshine, contemplating life.

Such wonderful company; I am never lonely.

Well, we are almost in the home stretch with tucking away February, 2019.
So pleased to link this post with Not Afraid of ColorEsther's Quilt BlogThe Needle and Thread NetworkSew Fresh QuiltsIt's A Small Town LifeThe Inquiring Quilter, and Silly Mama Quilts



22 comments :

Sandee said...

I love the Murphy Moment the best. What a good looking pup and they are such wonderful companions.

Have a fabulous Thankful Thursday. Scritches to Murphy. ♥

Brian's Home Blog said...

Murphy is such a cool dude and we love, love, love your fireplace! Thanks for joining the Thankful Thursday Blog Hop!

Catscue Cat Mom said...

Murphy is a sweetie! I've heard that there are more and more opportunities for young people to apprentice with craftsmen - college is not for everyone and experienced craftsmen are growing older, so there is a demand.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, I love that photo of Murphy. I can just feel how warm his fur is, warmed by the sun. What a pretty boy he is. Congrats on finishing your quilt top. That's a good feeling, isn't it?! Time with you grandson is great, too. It sounds like a fun day. ~smile~ Roseanne

eileeninmd said...

Hello, time spent with the grandchildren is a special time. Your grandson is cute. Murphy is a cutie too. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead!

Meditations in Motion said...

Congratulations to your handsome grandson! Have a great day!

Jenny said...

I love those cute little snow men, this will be a delightful little quilt. Murphy looks very regal, surveying his kingdom. And your little grandson looks so happy to be taking part in the fishing day.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had that book Dutch Treat at one time - I started that quilt and was never happy with my colors or my stitching at that time - the blocks were just so small I wish I had enlarged them - I ended up making about 36 blocks and making it into a small table topper that I use at Christmas - and sold the book to another. I love your fireplace - it looks like extraordinary work - I hope some kids are learning this type of work as not everyone is suited for computer work and the professional office type of experience - hand work is so very satisfying - family ice fishing time sounds like something fun to do - I have never tried that!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your fireplace is just gorgeous - the builder had good reason to be proud of it! Love the blue and white blocks and will look forward to seeing yours- that is definitely one of my favorite color combinations. Your Snowmen in Hats flimsy is wonderful - so many fun details!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Your grandson is such a cutie! I have Dutch Treat and was going to make it, BUT I had a difficult time finding the best white fabric to use. All of the fabrics I had and bought would frey when doing the reverse applique so it was put away! It is a beauty when completed!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh wow - that fireplace is spectacular! I love it, but I have to say that I'm beyond love over that blue and white Delft Blue. Blue is my favourite colour so of course I'm bound to love it! Oh, and a cutie grandie too!

Michelle said...

The fireplace is gorgeous. I think working with your hands/learning a trade is becoming more popular, but still has a ways to go. Vocations like that are so important. Thanks for linking up today.

PaintedThread said...

Your fireplace is beautiful. I can see why he was so happy with it. I like your snowmen. Delft blue is so pretty, and the quilt blocks are pretty, too.

Nana said...

Your livingroom is so warm and cozy looking, such a lovely place.

Nana

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I wonder too if other areas encourage young people to pursue careers that don't involve a college degree. Kids here have the opportunity to attend a career school teaching all kinds of skills..just about anything you can think of. My two grandsons attended. One excels at painting vehicles and the other learned CNC machining. That is one reason that my grandson that is a father will not allow his son to play video games. THAT addiction starts early.

Your flimsy looks great. I like to finish a project before I start a new one too. Our Min Pin loves to spend time sitting on the hamper in the bathroom that is under the window. The window faces south and he loves to catch the sun there and watch for squirrels.
xx, Carol

Michele McLaughlin said...

Your grandson is gorgeous! What a lovely photograph! I love your snowman top, your workmanship makes me swoon! Stay warm! Hugs!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

That's a good question about younger people getting into craftsman careers. I hope so. There has got to be more outlets than computing and office jobs. The fireplace is so very handsome. I'd be proud of the work, too, if that was mine. :-)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

You and I must be reading the same articles. When Jeff died I set up a scholarship in his name to encourage kids to go into auto mechanics and continue their education at the high school he attended in the town he grew up and worked in. Love your snowmen and Oh my the blue delft beyond my capabilities but lovely.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

That fireplace is gorgeous. My ex husband and I built a flagstone fireplace in the 70's for our living room and it took months but was just beautiful. We had to open the Arcadia doors nearby when we lit the fireplace cause it was too hot here in the winter to use it! Those snowmen are just adorable. Have a great weekend! mary

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

The simplicity of the blue and white quilt is stunning. You'll have a lot of fun making it for sure. That fireplace is gorgeous! So sad that such talent is disappearing. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

Rose said...

I love the flimsy...and the fireplace is beautiful. I so know that working with the hands is just healthy! It does wonders for me when I get a day and get to actually accomplish something.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the stonework. We have a school for such nearby.
I adore the header. yes, March is coming.