Wednesday 13 February 2019

Red Lily EPP Quilt, Mascarpone Blueberry Cake, Primitive Quilts

So the world is now simply white. Yesterday we had a snow storm which, while we get lots of snowfalls here, seldom is there a good enough wind to make a storm of it. But this one had a stiff breeze as I would call 60 km/h of wind. Flakes flew enough to obscure the views and give us the sense that we were house bound.
And this morning outside by my pet chair, a rabbit has made its' way.  Hubby thinks one may be living in the piping for the ornamental pond near this and if so, is extremely cosy under a layer of rock, soil and now 30 extra cm of snow.

We enjoyed our Indian food very much especially the fresh naan bread; perhaps that is my favourite part. Younger daughter treated us to one of her cakes, which she loves to make and decorate. This one had mascarpone in the frosting and blueberries which made it delicious.



I bought this magazine (which I seldom do) because it had a number of features I liked.  Baskets, houses, hearts...


Including this article with pattern about the wonderful Cheri Payne who passed away last year. I love that her contribution to quilting and stitching is still being acknowledged and celebrated.  The facebook group called Quilts by Cheri ~ Friendship Group is thriving. There are now many, many pages of free patterns in the Files there, btw.

I wanted to show you hearts but have lilies on the wall instead.  But they are reds.  I'm starting to wonder how many to make.  The border was easy to choose as I'm going to sew together left over little blocks in keeping with what a scrappy project this is. 

I'm stitching my lilies the EPP method but here is Teresa sharing the way to cut and sew this block on the machine. Nifty!
If you celebrate Valentine's Day, hope it is wonderful for you.
I must go and break the bad news to the dogs that there will be no second walk today...the first one was hard going. Hubby and I have massive digging out to do first and being old, we must pace ourselves. 😊
So happy to link with Not Afraid of ColorEsther's Quilt Blog, Em's ScrapbagMy Quilt Infatuation,
It's a Small Town Life, and Quilt Fabrication.











25 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I get that magazine just once in a while also - I rarely buy magazines anymore. Once in a while if I am at a really nice bookstore (our town has none now) I will pick up a few of the nice quilt magazines, get a coffee and sit down and look to see do I really need any of them - occasionally I will buy one -- you get so much snow - you must be in good shape for digging out!! What a beautiful cake!!

Nancy J said...

the cake!!! a super book, and too much snow. Just tell the rest of the family if they want a walk out there, they will have to dig too!!!

Nana said...

Wow, so much wonderful snow and the cake looks awesome.

Nana

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Gosh - that cake looks good! Stay warm and enjoy your magazine.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Wow, that is quite a bit of snow. I'm sorry for the pups, missing out on their second walk for the day but can certainly understand why. You red design wall looks so festive for the season and really smile worthy! It will look fabulous with a red scrappy border! ~smile~ Roseanne

Brian's Home Blog said...

WOW, that's a big bunch of snow, but the quilts are pretty!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

It's a pretty picture from your window. We had that snow and wind a day or two ago. Today is supposed to be 40 so hope all that white is gone tomorrow when the temps go back to the 20sF. Bunnies live in our back yard too. In really strange places too. So, you may have read on my blog that we got a new rescue dog...Max. He is a Min Pin..a mix I think because he has the shortest legs. The dog dug a hole in the back yard before the snow. I was watching Max run around when his front paws hit that hole. His face was buried, but he kept on going full speed ahead. It WAS funny to see.
xx, Carol

Suzanne said...

Snow always looks beautiful to me, from the inside of the house...That cake looks yummy!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That cake makes up for the snow I think! Provided you can stay inside to eat it. I don't buy magazines anymore either, and have let my subscriptions lapse. If I really feel the need I can borrow from the library, but unfortunately they don't get any of the needlework ones I'm mainly interested in.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That cake looks yummy! I would say your daughter is a good person to be related to. The lily blocks are sweet - they will make a lovely quilt!

LA Paylor said...

wowie, that's too much snow to walk thru. The dogs will dig tunnels. That cake, my gosh! How exquisite! And your daughter made it... very beautiful. Love blueberries in cake. I enjoy looking thru the Primitive quilts mag too... funny how I really like that style, plus artistic style, plus whimsical quilts. Just rather a traditional setting have at least an element of surprise to it.

Jean said...

Such a pretty view of the snow out the window. It's 61 and sunny here today but we're supposed to have another snow storm of some sort by morning. Winter in the Midwest is never boring. That cake is stunning and I can imagine it's delicious as well. Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day and weekend ahead.

PaintedThread said...

Oh, that cake looks delicious with mascarpone frosting? Mmm! I've been craving Indian food. I agree with you about naan bread. Such pretty snow.

Jenny said...

So you spent Valentine's Day in your wooden house, surrounded by snow, reading your new magazine, and eating Indian food and cake! Sounds like a great day indeed.

Out To Pasture said...

Your daughter's cake looks absolutely fabulous! Had to look up mascarpone.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's been stormy days all around! I love the cake, too.
Your header is beautiful!!!!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

That amount of snow looks dangerous! Then the wind? Wow. Hope you get sunshine and dry clear days soon! That cake looks soooo good. I must say you do know how to be home bound in style. .

moosecraft said...

Wow...that's a lot of snow! A good day to be indoors with hobbies and that CAKE! lol! Mascarpone and blueberries together sound divine! Your daughter should teach cake classes! :-) Enjoying the progress on your quilt....luvin' the reds for bringing color to these grey winter days. I sure do enjoy Cheri Payne's designs...she is missed by many...

Susan said...

That's a nice little scrappy project! And good you paced yourself when dealing with the snow.

Clipping Path said...

I gotta bookmark this website it seems extremely helpful very useful. Thanks

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Oh the snow, we haven't had much, but the wind. Oh we have had that. Great lilies. I had naan the other day with my coconut zucchini paprika soup.

Nancy said...

Love your red lilies, and that photo of the snow blowing is wonderful. Brrrrr. I hope you and your husband are staying warm in your wooden house, Jocelyn.

Angie said...

Jocelyn - my mouth dropped open when I saw the size of that cake - the first picture (taken on top of the cake) is very deceiving! How blessed you are to have a daughter with this talent!

johnypoipet said...

The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog,I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density,which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.
IWIN89

Clipping Solutions said...

I have visited many blogs! And found much good Knowledge.
background removal service