Thursday 26 December 2019

Chateau Getaway, Christmas Feast, Scandinavian Applique

I have an abundance of things to be thankful for this Thursday. The special birthday was celebrated and Santa came, not down a chimney but through the basement patio door a certain little someone thought. This year everyone chipped in for the big dinner which was a feast and I brought the turkey. So my house had a wonderful smell all Christmas Day.

My inside voice has been rather quiet lately.  I'm the one who must turn everything over and over in my mind and often feels compelled to verbalize whatever idiotic/phenomenal(to me)/strange idea it is that I've thought up.  Perhaps it is being a little emotionally drained and then refilling with all the Christmas hoopla that's made me a little less thinky.   Whatever, it's good to just think everything is fine (at this moment) and to feel more or less neutral about life's issues. Not worked up about anything.  I bet you know what I mean.

Daughter and I enjoyed a little break from life with a three night vacation downtown Ottawa at the Chateau Laurier, a favourite spot of mine.
Image result for chateau laurier
We spent most of one day at the National Gallery of Canada which is a short walk away.   I don't get to visit there as often as I would like.  We revisited the Canadian art galleries. There were interpreters in two of them and we spent time with both chatting about what an "expert" could see in a painting that we were missing.
Always a treat to see an Inuit Pangnirtung print from the era when I was teaching on Baffin Island decades ago.
We enjoyed room service. Wonderful breakfast oatmeal which made me wonder how did they cook it so it was just right. SIL figures they use sous-vide cooking -Wikipedia link to read all about it, which he enjoys using...in fact, used it on Christmas Day to make us almost melt in your mouth steak.
Pretty but what exactly is it?
 And the views. Here are the Canadian Parliamentary Buildings, which houses our federal government.
And in the other direction at night, sorry it's blurry but the lights-all blue, were so pretty.
Daytime photo of the same.
What a treat for us! I wish we could do this more often.  It was rejuvenating especially for me as I don't get to travel much these days.
My cross stitching went with me and I did manage to lay a few stitches with the help of the excellent reading light over the bed.

I've finished several more of the Quiltmania Advent blocks which are reminiscent of Scandianavian styles.

 After several day's of family get togethers, I'm relaxing today, looking at my presents, and using some of them, just like a kid. Also thinking what a wonderful December I've had despite tears shed for you know who.  And isn't that just life!
Linking this post to Not Afraid of Color as always. Also joining Alycia QuiltsFrom Bolt to Beauty,  Floral Friday FotoCreations...Quilts, Art...Whatever and Powered by Quilting.






23 comments :

Unknown said...

I wondered if we’d get a glimpse of your Ottawa stay. The Berries are Wintergreen. Minty and edible. Probably used as a garnish but might have been tasty in your oatmeal.

Libby in TN said...

What a fabulous getaway. I know you came back refreshed. I've been doing some hand piecing while with Son-2 and family -- in between meals and board games.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that looks like such a great get away - 3 days of museums and places and no cooking :) what a delight! now you can get into the New Year refreshed!

Albert William said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

What a wonderful 3 day break, who wouldnt enjoy a trip with your beloved daughter to a posh hotel and lots of pampering. So pleased you had a lovely time, and a special family Christmas too.



Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

The mini getaway looks like it was fabulous, fun, and relaxing. Love your little blocks they are adorable.

Ruth Hiebert said...

I'm glad you had the chance to get away for a short vacation. Christmas has joys and it also has sadness, especially if a loved one is no longer with us. I have felt that this year again.

MissPat said...

Oh, what a special treat your getaway was. It looks like an extravagant place to stay. Was it a birthday gift? Happy that you were refreshed. Happy New Year,Jocelyn.
Pat

PaintedThread said...

Looks like a lovely time away! Amen for a quiet inside voice. It's nice to have some down time and get to relax.

Snickelfritz said...

A new year coming and another year of quilting! So love seeing what you are working on and it gives me so much inspiration. Looks like you had a wonderful getaway with your daughter. We do need those once in a while, don't we? Happy New Year!

Michelle Ridgway said...

A 3 day get away which incorporated an art gallery visit....sounds like heaven! So happy for you. Lovely photos. Your stitching is beautiful xx

Brian's Home Blog said...

I'm glad you had a good Christmas. WOW, that getaway looks super special and what a place!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, that three-day retreat looks like just the ticket for you. Time at the museum, pretty lights out the window and room service. What's not to love. Plus a wonderful reading light above the bed?! Score. Happy Boxing Day to you. And {{hugs}} a bunch for you. I've been wondering about Murphy, and how he was handling missing his friend and brother. ~smile~ Roseanne

Out To Pasture said...

Now that's my idea of a relaxing holiday! No airplane hassles and supporting local businesses as well! Which reminds me, I havn't been to the art gallery in ages. Must put it on my list. I love those Scandinavian style blocks.

Yvonne said...

What a great little trip! Looking at the pictures I remember our visit to Ottawa in summer 1994. We ate our first ever hot dog outside that Parlement Building and loved it!
The flower is a Chrysant (that is what we call it in the Netherlands)

Michele McLaughlin said...

Happy Birthday Jocelyn! Perfect getaway! Can't think of anything I would like more than to wander through galleries while on a break! I love your new blocks! They are adorable! Have a happy New Year (holiday) and a wonderful new year!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

What a beautiful place for a vacation! It sounds like the perfect getaway! I love your Advent blocks. They remind me of folk art. It's okay to cry. I think it's necessary for healing. But, don't forget to be happy for what you have. Take a look around and enjoy!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Christmas getaway sounds wonderful, Jocelyn! Those views from the hotel are wonderful! Glad you had time with family this holiday and also some stitching time. Your Quiltmania Advent blocks are wonderful!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Beautiful pictures and a 3 day getaway for you! Great Christmas for you and family! Love those Quiltmania Advent Blocks! Hugs and Happy New Year coming around the corner - and I know what you mean - life is good even though the rest of the world is going nuts! LOL

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Staying at the Chateau Laurier has to be on my bucket list, but I don't suppose it will ever happen. The Fairmont at Lake Louise would be on my list too. Just the thought of indulging in a place like that makes me happy!

K Reeves said...

What a great getaway! Glad you had an opportunity to rejuninate after a busy, happy/sad December.

Lisa J. said...

It looks like you had a great get away which was much needed.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

what a great trip!! It is so pretty, and I know what you mean about your inside voice, and crazy thoughts.... glad you had some fun and a good time!!