Thursday 5 December 2019

Three Stitching Possible Christmas Gift Projects, There's Power in Kindness

As I ate my late breakfast, oatmeal, walnuts and blueberries, this morning...
I thought of this.
Hubby lies down every day for a nap and it is not a factor of his age; he has been able to achieve this feat as long as memory serves him. He can be reminding me of our car appointment or what to say if so and so calls and the next moment be breathing deeply like somebody already past the dreaming stage. I marvel at this. As you know sleep is like a foreign country to me and I definitely can't lie down during the day and expect to nod off just like that.   Is it some remnant of old belief where it was only babies that went down to sleep during the daylight hours. Adults had too much work to do to afford such a luxury. But when I think about it, most outport kitchens at home had something called a daybed in them. So someone would have been napping.  I know my grandfather would sleep on theirs extra cold nights and keep the wood stove in the kitchen going all night.
Anyway, I'm a bit envious and wonder what it would be like to go through life thoroughly rested all the time.

I have a million things to do but seem to be lollygagging this morning.  Google is playing me some violin music that is making me feel melancholic.  But I love it anyway.
I just went through the online Ottawa Library catalogue and put a hold on this book by Kathy at The Cottage at Cardiff Farms.  Pretty nature inspired applique.
                                                        A Cottage Garden
I have that turkey carcass from Sunday's meal that I need to turn into soup. Later today.
I have block 1 of my little Quiltmania Advent free patterns finished. I followed the instructions to double the perle cotton to make the twigs but it looks a little fat to me. What do you think?  Just started the bell for number 2.
I have the border and backing stitched on this Scandinavian embroidery table runner below.  Thinking now about what quilting lines to lay down...since this was embroidered onto a quilt batting back, maybe a few free motion type swirls around the edge will suffice. I'd thought of working more small motifs around these big ones; hope it doesn't look sparse. What do you think?  Meanwhile in need of a good press. A gift for a family friend.
I loved the red fabric for the border but the trouble was I had only a small amount so had to rig it for just the edging and plain white for the backing.
I'm turning this Santa Snowman into a cushion top.  Do you remember about 10 years ago when Just Believe seemed to be on everything.  That was when I found this little Cross stitch  kit at a thrift store and finished it.
 Though the phrase is passe, it's time now for it to be something and this fabric is red not orange as it's showing.

I enjoyed reading this Tuesday's post at Not Afraid of Color.  LeeAnna shared some stories about meeting people and striking up a conversation- how the exchange can make you feel good. I was telling her how I often speak to checkout clerks as I think their job must be so hard. Sometimes I mention their earrings, or hair or the weather. I've always been rewarded with genuine responses.  Face to face positive connections, even tiny wee ones like this, are important.

I'm enjoying all the birds at the feeders. The chickadees, my most frequent diner, are keeping me busy with the refilling which is good.  Having chores is a good thing but first today a good walk.  We have a family member here cutting brush to clear more walking trails for us so I must go see how he's making out.
Hope you are brimming with energy (unlike me!) today as the countdown to Christmas is now serious.
Also enjoying linking up with Paying Ready AttentionMy Quilt InfatuationQuilting and Learning,
My Bijou LifeIt's A Small Town LifeQuilt Fabrication and I'd Rather B Birdin.









29 comments :

Shannon said...

It makes me so happy that you rescued the santa cross stitch from a thrift store and finished it!!! I often think of all the handmade or hand-started things that must wind up there so it's thrilling that one got rescued! And I love your red embroidered table runner! Have a good week and I hope you can get some rest!

Sandra Walker said...

I love chicka-dee-dee-dees too! I am one of the lucky ones who visit the 'foreign country' to you of sleep each night. Even in menopause rare is the night where I lie awake for a couple of hours. My husband is like you, not fun. LOVE all your stitching. I agree the twigs are a bit fat for my liking. And libraries are just the BEST. :-) (even when you forget to return on the day and now owe $1.25 for a book and a magazine, don't mind paying actually as it helps support them)

Brian's Home Blog said...

That Santa is pretty cute and so is the bird. It's always nice being kind to others, we try that each and every day here, all of us.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

my husband can drop to sleep in a minute afternoon evening or all night - me no way. Thanks for mentioning the turkey carcass I had put one in the freezer until I could deal with it I need to get it out. That applique book looks good! Love the red and white piecs

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Oh, that picture of the chickadee is so nice. He's keeping his eye on you though. I have a Just Believe pillow on the little bench in my entry way. It stays there year round because I love it and I believe all the time. You hand stitching looks so beautiful especially in that runner on your table. ~smile~ Roseanne

piecefulwendy said...

So many cute projects -- the stars (love them!) and your beautiful stitching. I love chickadees - they are such a happy bird!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's a bit of a melancholy day at our house, too, Jocelyn - the weather is gray and wet which always does that to me. Homemade stock for soup is the best, and will fill your house with warmth and good smells. I love your stitching projects - the redwork especially! Such pretty designs! Chickadees are a favorite bird here, too - I just now looked out at our feeder to see if anyone was there, but they seem to be hiding away on this gloomy day, like we are. Happy Thursday, Jocelyn!

Ruth Hiebert said...

You have so many projects in the works. I have in the last year or two had a 15-20 minute nap almost every afternoon. It helps me keep going the rest of the day. maybe it's old age, may be it's lazy, but it sure feels good.

Radka said...

Oh, you busy lady! :-)
I like your red embroidery,
xx
P.S. There is nothing wrong with afternoon napping ;-), apparently it is good for you! Somewhere a long way back we were programmed to do it, but later busy modern lives took over. I certainly don't feel guilty about it, it gives me more energy for the rest of the day. But of course, I have been able to do this only since I retired :-)

Rosemary Dickinson said...

I can never sleep during the day either. I'm not a great sleeper anyways. It's worse the days I have to work. Your redwork is beautiful. That's a great picture of the chickadee. I like seeing them throughout the winter.

LA Paylor said...

your redwork is outstanding. I didn't realize I could do running stitch instead of outline, which never lies right. I can't sleep during the day either, and toss at night. I worked a reverse shift once and it was my undoing as I never truly rested. Great bird shot... did you capture that? wowie! I feel very lethargic this week... more snow today leading to more ice on the roads... more gray skies than the other two winters I've been in colorado. I tried to go in studio and made a mess of the project. Maybe I should read...

Michelle said...

My husband leaves very early for work each day and comes home to take a 15 minute nap. If I try to nap I go into a deep sleep, no quick nap for me. lol! He says a quick nap is very refreshing. Thanks for linking up today.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

My dad - a farmer - always laid down after lunch even though there was always a ton of work ahead of him. He lived into his late 80's so I guess all that napping must have been a good thing. Another wonderful feathered friend picture!

PaintedThread said...

Still no birds at our feeders. I really hope they'll find them at some point! Your projects are beautiful. And yay for turkey stock. We made a wonderful soup last night with the leftovers.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Your stitching is so beautiful! I love red work and of course all the nice Christmas designs that are out there for cross stitching. How nice to see the little birds on our feeders. We have all different ones this month! Hugs!

MissPat said...

I do think the redwork piece could use a little something on either side of the bottom of the heart, but I wouldn't know what to suggest and then it might throw the whole piece off balance. It's very pretty though.
I've already made soup with our turkey carcass and we've had many meals form our $6.50 (American) turkey.
Wish I could take such good pictures. I don't have a working camera any more so depend on my cellphone and I guess I don't have the technique right to get good photos. I took some pictures of the snow covered trees which looked like a winter wonderland on Tues. morning, but the photos didn't really capture the beauty of the scene.
Pat

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

OMG so many great things. The cross stitch....the redwork, the pictures of the birds. I nap for about 1 hour a day, but my day usually starts around 5 am, and I don't go to bed until after 11 pm.

Nana said...

Your needlecrafts are so very pretty!!!!

Nana

Michele McLaughlin said...

I love chickadees but the sparrows always try to keep them at bay from our garden! :( Love your projects! I think I personally would question the thickness of the star embroidery but on the other hand, I really like a lot of texture. Why not do another one and see what you think? You have my sympathy about sleeping--I've a problem with shutting my brain off at night. Love the Santa and think it will be a fantastic pillow! Have a great day!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have that ability to take a daily nap and often wonder why my motor runs down in the late afternoon almost making a nap mandatory. My little brown dog reads my mind when I think it's time to ready the couch and sits patiently waiting for me to lay down so he can lay next to me. I don't like turkey except the dark meat when fresh out of the oven. Thinking of eating turkey soup almost makes me gag. How can anyone not like turkey??? I don't know. Too bad for me. this year it was just Terry and me so I only made the sides we like the best. After the holiday I plan to find something to hand stitch. Gosh it's already the weekend. Have a great one.
xx, Carol

Linda said...

Your redwork is glorious!
My brother, when he was alive, was able to take a 10 minute nap at any time of the day. He was a calm and peaceful person, and I wonder if that had something to do with it.
Like you I compliment earrings and hair and often fingernails at the check out counter, and it does make me feel good. Hopefully they feel good too! My husband, bless his heart, just wants to barrel through the check out and the less talk, the better - lol!

QuiltGranma said...

Your red border fabric with paisley... I recognize as a Mary Englebrecht fabric that I used in a border for one of her panels! (I have a love of paisley!) I received a canvas shopping bag from one of my favorite quilt shops, and when I use it at the grocery store I sometimes get comments. One gal, at a big box store I shop at noted it, and mentioned a new quilt shop in town. We often chat now about quilt-making and I seek out her check out to chat with her. I find it nice to learn the names of the checker and call them by name.

Michelle Ridgway said...

I cannot nap in the day either.....if I do not off ever so occasionally, I always feel dreadful when I awake and yes I too envy those who can. Your projects are looking lovely. Such a sweet little birdie there at your feeder.

Sarah said...

Your post made me smile. My husband, dad, son in law, you name it the male species can nap any time but not me! So I'm with you on that one! Your projects are gorgeous, especially that red work!

Stewart M said...

Nice post - as Sarah above says it may be a bit of male skill to nap! A day without one is some how not complete!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

Michelle said...

I so enjoyed this post - this little glimpse into what’s going on in your life. I love all of your handwork! And I don’t think your twigs look too fat. Thank you for linking up with Creative Compulsions!

Michelle
http://mybijoulifeonline.com/~bijoube2

Susan said...

Yup, I think the twigs are a little chubby, but it's up to you to change them. As for the runner, maybe stitch a 1/4" outline around them and possibly crosshatching in the background?

Nancy said...

Sleep! I'm like your husband and can usually fall asleep anywhere, any time. But, like you, I never feel rested and am always tired. It just feel so lazy to take a nap and I only do it when I absolutely can't think straight about what I'm supposed to be doing. My daughter tells me I should just sleep if I'm tired -- sleep in, take a nap. There are no obligations that prevent it, just me pushing myself to keep at it. I hope you sometimes get a good night's sleep, Jocelyn.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Jocelyn, you are certainly keeping busy! I really love your red embroidery, and that chickadee is so adorable. I used to nap when the babies were sleeping and for a few years, there was nothing better than a nap. Now if I sleep during the day, there's a good chance that I'll sleep all day and be up all night! That'll be fine when I retire but not when I need to get up in the morning. Thanks for linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. The next link up starts tomorrow and will be open for 2 weeks. You can link up as often as you like. See you soon!