Sunday 16 February 2020

Free Patterns, Dear Jane Cross Stitch, Quilt Sandwiches

I've been making sandwiches lately...quilt sandwiches.  Another panel of the Dresdens is all ready for the hand stitching to begin. I'm happy with how the first one worked out and fingers crossed, both pieces will fit together in this quilt as you go bigger project.
I've also layered up the Very Scrappy Valentines runner. Thank you all for the encouraging words about this. I'm going to hand applique around those valentines probably with the red perle cotton since I'm enjoying using it so much.
I spent a happy hour yesterday trailing through the pattern gallery look books on the Art Gallery Fabrics site. They have a look book for each of the fabric lines and there are a lot of them.  At the blog you can find a free pattern for each.( For the record, I have no affiliation with these folks or any others mentioned in this post.)
Here is the blog link to the free pattern for their Foresta Fusion quilt.
                                 New- Fusions Foresta Quilt 1 1
   And here is the link for their Free Pattern site. There are 9 pages of them. Their Ballerina line is delicate and pretty. There is definitely a fabric line for all tastes.

I am so happy I found and follow this lady -Sarah at A Little Happy Place.  Her site is chockablock with projects, many of them easy and all of them pretty.  Here is a wonderful tutorial on Hand Quilting she made.
                        
She also generously offers an extensive array of free patterns for quilts, hangings, small projects and also embroidery. Definitely worth taking a look through.

Many of you are taking part in the Moda Blockhead project.  I liked this little project and lo and behold it is part of the 2020 series. This free pattern is found at  Brigitte's blog.
I think it is a great pattern for a cushion to be made any time of the year.
                                          Block 5 in the Moda Blockheads 2020 year-long sew along is brought to you by Zen Chic using the Just Red and More Paper fabric collections.
I talked about the fabulous Dear Jane quilt in my last post.  How enduring is the pattern and all the wonderful interpretations it has inspired! I wonder what the ailing Jane Stickle would think of it all.
  I was intrigued to find a cross stitch version of it as well.  It can be bought as a PDF download at Carolyn Manning Designs for a very reasonable price. A very colourful version.

               Jane's Joy (PDF Download)

I've had my eye on Carolyn's It Takes a Village design for a while.

This is our monthly linkup time for our international SAL hosted by Avis at Sewing Beside the Sea. All these ladies are stitching widely differing patterns and styles.
AvisClaireGunCaroleSueConstanzeChristinaKathyMargaretCindyHeidiJackieSunnyHayleyMeganDeborah, Mary MargaretRenee, CarmelaJocelynSharonDaisyAnneConnieAJJenny

I'm chugging along with my own Swirling Flowers cross stitch project.  I've finished two motifs and started two more.
I hope your Sunday is calm and relaxing despite world news.  It is a long weekend here in Ontario as Monday is a provincial Family Day holiday...a midwinter day off to celebrate winter activities with family and friends.
Fun to link up with these parties: Kathy's QuiltsQuilting is More Fun Than HouseworkThe Madd QuilterThe Inquiring QuilterMy Quilt Infatuation and Life in Pieces.

32 comments :

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I should show my daughter the cross stitch version of Dear Jane - She has the first Dear Jane quilt I made and at times has mentioned that you could cross stitch it.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Thanks for the links, and I love your Dreden and scrappy hearts. Pretty embroidery too

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

You have accomplished so much!! I love that the Dear Jane can be cross stitched.

Jenn Jilks said...

I order from PC Express, Jocelyn. It's quite simple, if I pay attention...
I have been pleased with the service.
I hear you about grandies growing up. Our eldest is 12, but she still likes to visit.

Sewing Beside the Sea said...

It's coming along very nicely. Still loving your colour choices. I looked for a Dear Jane cross stitch a while ago but didn't find one so I started on a real quilt called the Loyal Union Sampler instead which is also a lot of fun to do.

Out To Pasture said...

All very pretty and colourful projects, Jocelyn! This winter I'm painting my upstairs hall ceiling and walls. Not nearly so creative, but should vastly improve the look of the area. Thanks for the inspiration about your dear, late Dad!

jenny Ginger Ninja Crafts said...

Such a gorgeous sampler and I love your hearts patchwork, so pretty. Jenny xx

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That cross-stitched Jane is amazing, Jocelyn - such tiny little squares! I enjoyed reading the hand-quilting tutorial, too - thanks for sharing it. Your Swirling Flowers cross-stitch is really lovely! You're making great progress on it. Enjoy your stitching today!

Marja Rijnsburger said...

What a lot of beautiful projects you show us.
There are so many great things to make, I am looking for a box with time for a long time 😂😉
Your Dresden and hearts are beauty's.
Marja

Libby in TN said...

If you can do those swirling flowers, surely you'd ace Dear Jane!

Kate said...

Your Dresden and Hearts are both looking great. Love the Swirling Flowers! That is going to be stunning!

Anonymous said...

I simply love the colours in your Swirling Flowers!
claire93

kiwikid said...

Your Swirling Flowers are beautiful, love the colours. Your hearts and dresden are lovely too. Thanks for the links to the other sites.

Magpie Sue said...

I didn't see your last SAL post so it looks to me like you've accomplished a LOT of swirling flowers! Very happy stitchery. I'm a quilt maker but have never been tempted to tackle a Jane Stickle quilt. I think it would be easier to cross stitch it than to piece it!

Deb A said...

Lovely projects you are working on. I had not seen the DJ in cross stitch before.

PaintedThread said...

I think I'd be far more willing to do the cross stitch version of Dear Jane than the real version. lol

Brian's Home Blog said...

We really enjoy seeing what you are working on. Your projects are always so pretty and amaze us of no talent!

K Reeves said...

Dear Jane in cross stitch does sound like an epic project! I love your swirling hearts, it is growing beautifully!

Marti said...

This is so cool! What method of QAYG are you using? I'm really impressed that you are doing it all by hand. And I really like the cross stitch Dear Jane. Now I'm off to look at those free patterns!

Yvonne said...

Beautiful pattern that swirling flowers! I used to cross stich a lot, but I still did not finished my last project....quilting takes all my time...

Gun said...

I´m sewing the Dear Jane Quilt and now you show us the stitched version! Wow! Maybe that should be my next project! Your Swirling Flowers are coming along nicely!

moosecraft said...

I'm enjoying all of the happy colors you have in your projects! It certainly helps to brighten up the winter days! Thank you for sharing the hand quilting link...looks like another happy blog I'm going to "need" to follow...lol!

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

Canada is just so cool-a Family Day-good idea. Swirling Flowers is just so pretty.

CathieJ said...

Thanks so much for the link to Sarah's site. I will be following her from now on. Your quilts are very pretty and I absolutely adore your cross-stitch. I just contacted Avis to join that SAL.

Marymargaretripley said...

I love all of these projects :)

Sunny said...

I love that Swirling Flowers piece, and the cute LOVE block project.

Eva H. said...

So wonderfull handwork!I like your fantastic details.You have good eyes :-).I don´t have so good eyes :-(.I´m embroidering by style Richelieu.
I wish to you and your nice days.
Eva in Czech Republic(old Czechoslovakia)

Angie said...

Jocelyn - that is a stunning cross-stitch design for the Dear Jane quilt. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You mentioned using the red pearl cotton to stitch - might be a thought to test a wee bit of it on a scrap piece of fabric to ensure the colour won't run. Sometimes red can be a problem and you wouldn't want to have anything happen. I'm sure you know this already, but mentioning it just in case. The cross stitch Dear Jean is impressive but the one you're working on is nicer (IMHO anyway!).

Jennie in GA said...

I love Sara Edgar and all of her pretty projects. I am in more than one of her BOMsandthey are beyond lovely. Love the progress on your cross stitch especially!

Christina said...

I love your opening line about sandwiches, it made me want a sandwich now! Quilt sandwiches are excellent news as it is one step closer to be done and ready to use. The cross stitch of the Dear Jane is gorgeous, but the piece you are working on just tickles my fancy! Swirling flowers is going to be gorgeous once finished!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Love the cross stitch projects! Thanks for sharing them. Can't wait to see your Valentine's project. So sweet!