Thursday 5 March 2020

Free Patterns, Hand Quilting, Bird Cams, Grandson Time

March, the month of many weathers, is upon us.  There are so many sayings related to this month. Did you ever hear this one... that whatever the weather is on the 21st of March, that will be the weather on June 21st?
A few crows cawing and the chickadees twittering-I've yet to hear any spring bird sounds.  I'm anxiously waiting for the Indiana Barred Owl live cam to come back on stream. That always makes March enjoyable. A link is here to the All About Birds cams if you would like to check out many birds raising their young from egg to fledgling.

  February nature walks with this little guy were one of the highlights of last month.  I love all the walking trails through park land around this neighbourhood. And that this grandson is just 10 minutes away from me.
And my Kolanchoe plant keeps sending out these sweet little pink blooms as if to encourage me.  Spring is near, it's saying.
All of the indoor plants are doing well and now, with steady daylight, no longer having to reach for the light like they did back in January. So not as scraggly.
Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts shared this simple technique she had found for making two nine patch quilt blocks at a time. All the details are  here at Generations Quilt Patterns.  I've bookmarked it to try. There is a large library of free quilt patterns of all kinds to be found at that link as well.

I've registered this year for the Book Club Hand Pieced QAL hosted by Elm StreeQuilts and Simply Homemade Every Day ,

    The templates are downloaded and fabrics chosen.  Looking at slightly different fabric choices for me but I'm drawn to this little range for some reason.  Trying to keep this number tight so I don't go overboard and overwhelm myself...which is easily done. That blue is actually a deep teal colour.

The one on the far left is a thrift store shirt that I had fun deconstructing. Loved the pattern and soft grey colour and being Michael Kors, I knew good quality. Surprising how much perfectly usable fabric can be gotten from shirts. This one cost $8.99.
Here is a great little video from Margo Price explaining how to cut apart men's shirts for quilt material.


What I Would Like
This little guy from Simon's.  He's $15.  A doorstop that is a fox would totally suit here though I haven't seen our little guy since last fall. Lots of tracks though so I know he's about.
                              Image result for simons fox door stop
I'm using a very old cat in a bed brick door stop presently that came from the farm.
Hope your week is going well and please wash your hands!
Always pleased to join linky parties around the net.  Like these...Not Afraid of ColorFloral Friday FotoAlycia Quilts and It's a Small Town Life.



26 comments :

Linda said...

How blessed to have that handsome young man living near! Glad you are getting a bit more light. I love finding fabric in odd shirts/blouses at thrift stores too. I've also deconstructed a couple of my husband's shirts. It's not like I need more fabric, I just like doing it - lol! Love your fabric choices for the hand pieced quilt-along.

Brian's Home Blog said...

Your Grandson is such a handsome little dude! We have a kitty doorstop similar to that fox.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Jocelyn! Aww, that little door stop is very cute. I'll check out that link for the nine-patch piecing, thank you. And your fabrics for the hand QAL look wonderful. That purple-blue really pulls out the stars in the complimentary fabric. I look forward to seeing you progress through this fun project. ~smile~ Roseanne

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Great time with family, flowers, and quilting! Enjoy ;)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've never deconstructed a shirt to use for quilting fabric - that one you found looks perfect to sew with! I'm glad you're joining in on the hand-pieced qal, Jocelyn - me, too! I'm going to try a red and white color scheme this time around. Your indoor blooms are so pretty! They must be loving the light. Glad you're enjoying time with our grandson and that he is so close by, too.

Nancy J said...

The tunes.. Row, row,row,row your boat, then. for a change, twinkle, twinkle little star, or, very fitting for today, as older daughter celebrates, Happy Birthday. We are being extra diligent, I had hoped here in NZ as an isolated island we might stay virus free. Not so, people coming back from Iran via Bali, and others from Italy have infections.Those in Antarctica are fortunate as no-one will go there until next summer for the yearly change over, and new supply drop. Love your door stop.

Eva H. said...

My grands are a little big.I remember if they was a little,they loved to play here in many snow...It are wonderfull memories for me.
It was not snow here this winter.But I´m waiting for Spring time.
Best wishes Eva(Czech Republic)

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Wash your hands....and stay home more! I'm enjoying a day at home! I've never heard the one about the weather but it may be true here in FL. We do see some really warm days this month. Enjoy your afternoon!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have never been lucky to find shirts to take apart to use for fabric, they are always other than 100 percent cotton it seems. Lucky to have your grandson near by. Yes I keep reminding myself to not touch my face and to wash hands!

PaintedThread said...

The Kolanchoe blooms are so pretty! That fox doorstop is adorable. I like that shirt fabric, too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Lucky you to have a grandson that lives that close and that he enjoys going on hikes with you. I haven't heard that particular saying about March - interesting. Today it was lovely here, only 5C but at least the sun was shining and it made me think it might be spring. That, and I saw a robin this morning - first one of the year.

Michelle said...

"March is the month of many weathers", is a new phrase for me, but I will be using it. How true it is! So far, so good here. Wonder what the end of the month will bring? Thanks for linking up.

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

I haven’t heard that phrase before. Just a wow on those beautiful blooms. I checked out the new way of making 9 patches-sounds simple enough. Thanks for that. What a cute door stop. I need a real big brick for my garage side door. I purchased several things you stick under the door to hold it open for groceries but you can image my frustration when those things don’t hold and I’m struggling to get inside. So frustrating. Oh well. Enjoyed the variety in this post and those pretty photos of your snow and His Cuteness.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are fun!
How great to be so close to a grandie!!!
Kolanchoe, never heard of it! How lovely.

Tanya Breese said...

You sure have a cute little walking partner!

Louise said...

Pretty fabric pull! Although with the thrifted shirt, it isn't a "pull" so much as a "cut up" :)

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Great likes. Your walking buddy is cute. Lovely fabrics. Gorgeous flowers.

Out To Pasture said...

Such a cute wee grandson. He looks like he is stopping a net shot with a pretend hockey stick. Thanks for the live bird cam link. I also like that foxy door stop.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

No, I never deconstructed a shirt. I guess I just thought you would start cutting it up. I'll have to check out that video because I have a jean jacket style jacket I am saving to make a purse from. You ARE lucky to be close to your grandson. And he likes the snow, just like you, lol.
xx, Carol

Michele McLaughlin said...

You are so lucky to have your grandson so close! Love the fabric from the shirt! Can't wait to see the project more! I never heard that phrase about March before, it would be funny (or not if it is true) if we get snow...Have a wonderful week!

Shannon said...

your kolanchoe flowers are so pretty! Mine almost died, but I managed to salvage one chunk of it and now it's growing nicely but no flowers and it's still a bit lopsided. It came from a cutting of my mom's and I think it will have yellow flowers.

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Your grandson is adorable! My parents are from Italy. The saying there is that March is the month of crazy weather! Such beautiful flowers! I can't wait for spring!!

Marti said...

What pretty flowers you have! If your growing season is short, that sounds like a good way to get some early blooms. I never thought of buying clothing for the fabric, but I have bought linens for it.

Jennie in GA said...

What a handsome little man to share walks with. Interesting way to make 9 patches. Wish they all ended the same rather than positive/negative. A very fresh, happy fabric pull. Look forward to seeing what it becomes.

Allie said...

Aw your grandson is so cute!! Love the pics of your flowers and that pretty fabric you're going to use. Have fun!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I wish I had more windows so I can grown more indoor plants. You've got me wanting to see if I can get a kalanchoe plant to grow indoors. I hope it's a rainy March 21 so we can have a rainy June 21 in my part of California. :-) Cheers!